Is this normal??

Kazzabon

My pump has been behaving itself pretty well lately then it's all gone Pete Tong........

My Basal rates were working well and the only hiccups were when I miscalculated bolus but for the past few days my blood sugars have been quite high for no reason at all. I am suffering a bit of hay fever (I think) and the weather is very warm but that's it.

I am able to adjust my own Basals but what I wanted to know was is this something that happens alot? My high readings are also taking quite a while to come down when I give myself an adjustment bolus.

Any ideas/advice peeps?? :?

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
we always seem to be adjusting dylans rates and school time and school holidays are completely different, we have been having alot of hypos again recently having spent the whole school hols getting him right he now has gone back to school and has to much insulin again so having to create 2 different settings one for school and one for hols.

besides that tho we still adjust regularly but if hes high and we bolus to correct i always find he comes down quickly on the pump where as MDI it took alot longer

anna marie

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Kazzabon said:
My pump has been behaving itself pretty well lately then it's all gone Pete Tong........

My Basal rates were working well and the only hiccups were when I miscalculated bolus but for the past few days my blood sugars have been quite high for no reason at all. I am suffering a bit of hay fever (I think) and the weather is very warm but that's it.

I am able to adjust my own Basals but what I wanted to know was is this something that happens alot? My high readings are also taking quite a while to come down when I give myself an adjustment bolus.

Any ideas/advice peeps?? :?

I think it's normal to need to adjust your basal rates everynow and then. Your body will always be changing as you get older so it will never require the same amount of insulin. When it gets warmer your more sensitive to insulin so you may find you need to adjust.

If you are more active on maybe working days than say weekends you may need less insulin for busier days, and less insulin for less active days.

I'm not sure as i don't suffer from hayfever myself, but illness (if you can class hayfever as one imm not too sure?) can affect your insulin needs.

Also make sure your insulin is in date, if you don't use much insulin and your cartridge lasts a while then it may be a good idea to only half fill your cartridge in the summer, as with warmth it can lose its potency making it less effective.

Also make sure you check your infusion sites, and your tubing and pump for bubbles too.

Alot to think about i know but it could be something really simple in the end, or you may just need a slight tweak of your basal to get your BG's down.

Have you done a basal test? in your pump handbook it will probably tell you how to do this if you dont know, (it does in mine) you basically either don't eat or only eat carb free foods, for a certain time block, and you test your BG every hour, this will show you if your basal is good as it shouldnt flunctuate too much, if it raises significantly then it will show you need more insulin, if it drops then you need less. you usually would do this a couple of days in a row to get an overall look.

The only problem is that if you go hypo or need a correction you will have to abandon the basal test until the next day.

Good luck!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Mine have been higher for last couple of days too. Thought I had cracked it, for 2 weeks (longest stretch of time I have had without changing anything), and my levels have gone up to 8-11's last couple of days, starting off from when I wake up, and they have just been going higher and higher despite corrections....decided today that I would change cartridge, tube, set everything as normally corrections work for me and they haven't the last couple of days. If I wake at a level of 8 again tomorrow, then I will change both my basal and bolus rates. I just wondered whether it was because my last fill of insulin in to my reservoir was from a bottle that had been out for almost 3 weeks at room temperature, and it was (not now!!!) hot during those 3 weeks......but I also supsect it is my body (again!!).

I posted previously asking what the longest amount of time was that people could not change things on their pumps for, thinking I was being odd, but from the responses that I had, and from your post I know I am not odd.......

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Perhaps we are expecting a full moon?????

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
donnellysdogs said:
Perhaps we are expecting a full moon?????

HAHA!

Funnily enough the past two days mine have been slowly creeping up, i think it's more down to i am due for 'that time of the month' so i'm not going to change anything just yet, incase it sends me to hypoland when 'that time of the month' arrives :)

we'll see eh!

The first thing i do usually when i start to get off readings for a day or two is prime, change cannula and tubing. If still i have off readings i change the cartridge too. If i'm still off, thats when i alter what i see fit :) so i follow the same sort of method as you mentioned.

I find it slightly irritating at times when it's so hard to pinpoint what needs to be changed as theres ALOT of factors, but feels pretty good when you find it :)

Kazzabon

Yep, trying to answer the question "Why's that then?" when this 'condition' throws you a curve ball is as hard as "Why is bra singular when knickers are plural" - it just is.

I've dumped the pump for a while as I'm getting some treatment done on my hand next week and will be unable to use it for a while............feel so liberated!!