Is This Normal?

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
having to take medication
This is going to sound odd but I was diagnosed a while ago and told not to test. Well I decided to test anyway and in 6 weeks I've managed to get a handle of sorts of my results. For the past 3 days my results have been below 11 and above 7.4 so I thought that it had been pretty good. I went shopping with the other half earlier and after about 90 minutes, we had to stop for a cup of tea and something to eat as everything literally went white and I felt like I was going to pass out.

We used my meter at the cafe and it was 6.2 so the results were well within an acceptable range. After eating and drinking something and taking a couple of dextrose tablets I felt fine again and so we checked again and the result was 9.8. I was just wondering if its normal when your blood sugars are still adjusting for this to happen?

Last edited by a moderator:

Matthew-G-Bell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People walking slowly in hallways.
This is going to sound odd but I was diagnosed a while ago and told not to test. Well I decided to test anyway and in 6 weeks I've managed to get a handle of sorts of my results. For the past 3 days my results have been below 11 and above 7.4 so I thought that it had been pretty good. I went shopping with the other half earlier and after about 90 minutes, we had to stop for a cup of tea and something to eat as everything literally went white and I felt like I was going to pass out.

We used my meter at the cafe and it was 6.2 so well within an acceptable range after eating and drinking something and taking a couple of dextrose tablets I felt fine again and so we checked again and the result was 9.8. I was just wondering if its normal when your blood sugars are still adjusting for this to happen?
I would say that those levels (7.4+) are still slightly high, although I think that they are decent for a recent-diagnosed.
I can't say I've ever seen white while low, although the sugar rising to 9.8 is understandable, if you have a sugar intake your sugar level will rise.

Hope this helps, feel free to message me!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

We used my meter at the cafe and it was 6.2 so the results were well within an acceptable range. After eating and drinking something and taking a couple of dextrose tablets I felt fine again and so we checked again and the result was 9.8. I was just wondering if its normal when your blood sugars are still adjusting for this to happen?

I think you may have experienced a false hypo.
Because you have been relatively high for a while, the single figures that you are getting is a drop and drops in blood glucose levels could perpetuate a false hypo.
Keep up the good work as you are only on metformin, you are doing well!

Reactions: 2 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If your blood glucose has been high, your body gets used to that and then it gives a false hypo because it feels low. But 6.2 isn't a real hypo, that's 4 or thereabouts (people have different views on this).

My suggestion would be to take a portable snack with you (eg pork scratchings, nuts), make sure you don't go hours without eating and if you do have a false hypo, don't start stuffing glucose/dextrose tablets. Your body will have to get used to being lower. So I'd suggest something to eat and drink yes, but not stuff that will put your blood glucose way up.

False hypos are horrible I know. But they do go.

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like @nosher8355 and @Celeriac have suggested it was possibly a false hypo. Your body's probably used to working at higher glucose levels still, and issueing a warning.

I think now that I'd had a few less serious ones just before or after I was diagnosed, when I went rather cold, and a bit wobbly, woozy and slightly incoherent when a meal was overdue. A spoonful of something sugary resolved this for me. It was certainly before I had my meter, so I don't know what my glucose levels were

'Robbity

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the others. It looks like a false hypo. You won't have a real hypo unless you go under 4, and even lower for some people. Don't panic, and don't take any glucose tablets. You don't need them. Just eat as planned, or if it is a while before your next meal have a cup of tea with a bit of milk.
Your levels are still a bit high. You should aim to be under 8.5 at all times after meals, and under 7 before meals, and when you hit these targets, lower them. Use your meter to learn which foods you can cope with and which you need to avoid.