Is this reaction normal? :(

daisymj14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I have been prescribed Levemir on split doses recently and I have read that it can cause a reaction. I am really struggling, it is painful, hot to touch, itching, it's driving me insane. My legs feel as if I've climbed Mount Everest. It's on all injection points on both legs and stomach. The hospital have said 'reaction is expected' when I called them, but it is getting irritated by wearing tights (which I do for work everyday), or any other clothing for that matter. As you can probably tell from my
rant it's making me quite grumpy, and becoming a naturist isn't an option. my blood sugars are sky high, I've had brilliant control over the last 6 months on Tresiba but it was causing nighttime hypos pretty much every night. previously on Lantus for 15 years but it wasn't lasting quite 24 hours.
I'm concerned the Levemir isn't being absorbed.

b2396a8ac8029e98855645b0fff19fba.jpg

Reactions: Snapsy

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To be honest, I switched from Lantus to Levemir for the same reason and hated it. Never saw a reaction like that (there are several type 1s in my family) & I wouldnt be happy about being told that it was to be expected!!

I changed myself back onto Lantus and ssplit the dose and am a lot better controlled (& happier) now. Have you thought about changing back and splitting the Lantus? It might work better for you if the only problem was the length of time it was lasting :)

Reactions: azure

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Is there any way Tresiba may work for you on a lower dose, or even splitting it to see if that helps? I had hypos each night too, but for some reason having the injection in the morning instead of the evening really solved it for me.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not type 1 and don't inject but I wouldn't like to see a reaction like that. Can you get to your GP to show them ?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's an obvious allergic reaction and you shouldn't have to put up with it. I had a similar problem with Levemir and had to switch back to Lantus. I'm now on Tresiba and not getting any reactions with that. Agree with @Peppergirl that you should try taking Tresiba in the morning to see if that helps with the night hypos.

Reactions: azure and ickihun

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's an obvious allergic reaction and you shouldn't have to put up with it. I had a similar problem with Levemir and had to switch back to Lantus. I'm now on Tresiba and not getting any reactions with that. Agree with @Peppergirl that you should try taking Tresiba in the morning to see if that helps with the night hypos.
I completely agree with Robert. That is an allergic reaction. I used to be a medic. Time to find a new basal!! I'm sure an allergic reaction isn't helping your control either. Sorry to be so harsh but that's scary!!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've taken levemir in pregnancy where your more sensitive to most things but wouldn't be happy with such a reaction. Your body is clearly not happy to accept levemir. I hope you resolve it quickly.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wouldn't put up with that. Definitely get an appointment and see if you can have your insulin changed. That's not a little redness, it's a nasty reaction.

Reactions: Snapsy

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Send them that picture and ask for an urgent appointment!

daisymj14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all! Sent the picture and they have apologised that they didn't take the reaction seriously before I sent the picture, advised me to stop taking immediately and go back to to tresiba until I'm seen, urgent appointment booked. Much love to you all xxx

Reactions: robert72

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I was getting marks like that after being on Levemir for years so got put on Lantus, but that was causing alot of hypo's so I ended up on Tresiba. I'm now on a pump but found Tresiba to be the best Basal insulin I have ever been on.

Glad you got something sorted and hope the night time hypo's stop

AilsaMarshall

I've had the same problem, after six weeks of suffering horrendous side effects they are changing my insulin to porcine as I've tried a few analogues and all give me a bad reaction. I finally pick it up tomorrow! I've been bed bound all this time due to severe pain all over, no energy, headaches, falling over because my head is swimming! Numbness and itchy tingling all over my body! Hair falling out! I am praying the change of insulin will work. Hope you get this sorted x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Tresiba taken in evening has been fantastic at eliminating hypo's for me. Wasnt good when I took it in the mirning though.

Would definitely ask for a switch to different insulin. Photo looks really unpleasant and not good..