Is This Safe To Do When Blood Sugar Is High?

jenner68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday after my evening meal after about an hour and a quarter I took my blood sugar and it was 28.7mmol and a ketone warning. I have never seen my meter this high before and kind of panicked and jumped onto my bike and went out cycling for an hour which got my reading down to 7.5mmol. I am not on any meds but under the circumstances is this the safest thing to do by doing some form of exercise?.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you were sprinting, probably not advisable, if anything that would tend to make things worse, but going along at a normal pace and if you are a regular bike rider, then it should be fine - but did you eat something high in carbs for dinner?
The ketone 'warning' was probably a prompt to actually test what your level was - (read the instruction manual, it could save your life) so you might not have been in any danger - it would be fairly unusual for a non medicated type two, but can happen. If you don't have a way to test ketones then a leisurely progress to somewhere that could test for you could be a good survival tactic, or be really reassuring.
I hope that you don't see many readings so high as that one.

Reactions: pjayem1964

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If it was only one test I wouldn't believe it, if @jenner68 re-tested after washing hands it's a different story.

I agree. The fall to 7.5 a little later is unlikely too. A rogue reading methinks.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
When you get an unusually high or low reading it is always best to test again after washing hands..

jenner68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
20180823_194459.jpg 20180824_181756.jpg

jenner68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did not know about doing a retest. I am still finding things out. It was a shock at the time so my first thought was the quickest way to get my blood sugar down was to go for a walk or go out on my bike.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When the sugar level is high excercie can increase blood sugars
You are right, and exercise with a sugar level this high isn't recommended. But a dirty finger can easily give you a false high reading, that's why I asked if he tested again to make sure the reading wasn't false. Especially because he came down to 7.5 in an hour.

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a high doubt that this meter is giving false and inaccurate results. I have read (and used it before) many negative reviews about this meter. How did you feel though? Did you feel thirsty or dizzy? I start to feel sick when my sugars go above 14.0 and very sick above 25.0

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
I had a BG of 26.0 once I rechecked and BG was much lower (cant remember exact numbers) I nearly had a heart attack when I seen 26.0

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I did not know about doing a retest. I am still finding things out.
The meter tests for glucose, so if you had something sugary on your finger you have measured that. I'd say that your bg wasn't this high, don't worry about it. Should you get another reading that's way off expectation, wash hands and test again. Rinse very well after washing, some soaps give high readings as well!

Down-Jai 001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi jenner68
I have MODY Diabetic and since my 20.So far diet and exercises an hour after a meal mostly working well.
Especially,with walking because of the big calves muscles groups use up the blood glucose during the exercises. There will be a few supprises with the tests but if you maintain: what you eat,how much you eat, withyour timing and exercises,you should keep it UNDER control.
Keep it going and record everything in.a diary.Then you know what works for you.
Best wishes.
Dow-jai001

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ive had super high readings and then retest.
You will know when u hit 28mmol, i personally would not believe it especially if u been watching what your eating.
I also can get my bloods down to about 4.9-6 from 13 just by going for a run for 15mins.
I personally cant see nothing wrong in bringing your bloods down quick, as long as u havent got a heart problem.etc

Reactions: TTTE

Richard Frost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The meter tests for glucose, so if you had something sugary on your finger you have measured that. I'd say that your bg wasn't this high, don't worry about it. Should you get another reading that's way off expectation, wash hands and test again. Rinse very well after washing, some soaps give high readings as well!
I've had a high reading because of soap now I rinse well before testing

Sent from my SM-G920F using Diabetes Forum mobile app

Reactions: steveis36