1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Is This Safe To Do When Blood Sugar Is High?

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by jenner68, Aug 24, 2018.

1. jenner68

jenner68 Type 2 · Active Member

Yesterday after my evening meal after about an hour and a quarter I took my blood sugar and it was 28.7mmol and a ketone warning. I have never seen my meter this high before and kind of panicked and jumped onto my bike and went out cycling for an hour which got my reading down to 7.5mmol. I am not on any meds but under the circumstances is this the safest thing to do by doing some form of exercise?.

2. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

If you were sprinting, probably not advisable, if anything that would tend to make things worse, but going along at a normal pace and if you are a regular bike rider, then it should be fine - but did you eat something high in carbs for dinner?
    The ketone 'warning' was probably a prompt to actually test what your level was - (read the instruction manual, it could save your life) so you might not have been in any danger - it would be fairly unusual for a non medicated type two, but can happen. If you don't have a way to test ketones then a leisurely progress to somewhere that could test for you could be a good survival tactic, or be really reassuring.
    I hope that you don't see many readings so high as that one.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Did you confirm the 28.7 with a re-test?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. alphabeta

alphabeta Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I highly doubt that it was 28.7

5. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

If it was only one test I wouldn't believe it, if @jenner68 re-tested after washing hands it's a different story.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I agree. The fall to 7.5 a little later is unlikely too. A rogue reading methinks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. alphabeta

Yeah!

• Like Like x 1
  8. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

When you get an unusually high or low reading it is always best to test again after washing hands..

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. jenner68

10. jenner68

I did not know about doing a retest. I am still finding things out. It was a shock at the time so my first thought was the quickest way to get my blood sugar down was to go for a walk or go out on my bike.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Steveinbtn

Steveinbtn · Newbie

When the sugar level is high excercie can increase blood sugars

12. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

You are right, and exercise with a sugar level this high isn't recommended. But a dirty finger can easily give you a false high reading, that's why I asked if he tested again to make sure the reading wasn't false. Especially because he came down to 7.5 in an hour.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. alphabeta

I have a high doubt that this meter is giving false and inaccurate results. I have read (and used it before) many negative reviews about this meter. How did you feel though? Did you feel thirsty or dizzy? I start to feel sick when my sugars go above 14.0 and very sick above 25.0

14. Ziggy2017

Ziggy2017 Type 3 · Well-Known Member

I had a BG of 26.0 once I rechecked and BG was much lower (cant remember exact numbers) I nearly had a heart attack when I seen 26.0

15. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

The meter tests for glucose, so if you had something sugary on your finger you have measured that. I'd say that your bg wasn't this high, don't worry about it. Should you get another reading that's way off expectation, wash hands and test again. Rinse very well after washing, some soaps give high readings as well!

16. Down-Jai 001

Down-Jai 001 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi jenner68
    I have MODY Diabetic and since my 20.So far diet and exercises an hour after a meal mostly working well.
    Especially,with walking because of the big calves muscles groups use up the blood glucose during the exercises. There will be a few supprises with the tests but if you maintain: what you eat,how much you eat, withyour timing and exercises,you should keep it UNDER control.
    Keep it going and record everything in.a diary.Then you know what works for you.
    Best wishes.
    Dow-jai001

17. steveis36

steveis36 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ive had super high readings and then retest.
    You will know when u hit 28mmol, i personally would not believe it especially if u been watching what your eating.
    I also can get my bloods down to about 4.9-6 from 13 just by going for a run for 15mins.
    I personally cant see nothing wrong in bringing your bloods down quick, as long as u havent got a heart problem.etc

• Like Like x 1
  18. Richard Frost

Richard Frost Type 2 · Member

I've had a high reading because of soap now I rinse well before testing

Sent from my SM-G920F using Diabetes Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  19. BearZA

BearZA Type 2 · Member

How old are your test strips?

20. steveis36

steveis36 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes,yes, thoughs ummm antibacterial soaps that have alcohol in etc

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook