Is TM going low?

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just watched Theresa May munching on a bag of something (sweets) in the background at the House of Commons during a live debate. She looked as if she was trying to get them quickly down her neck. We all know that feeling don't we?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Dodo To be honest I wouldn't munch on a bag of sweets for any other reason than a hypo, only another t1 would pick up on this :)

Reactions: Sweetheart66

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We do!
I think it would have been interesting to see the graph of her BGs during the overnight Brexit negotiations last week. I noted that they had "pastries & juices". Probably not ideal for the PM.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I image the pm has her own foods if necessary. I suspect that she has an anxiety disorder when called upon to speak in public, and thats why she keeps coughing etc and needs something to suck to moisten her mouth and throat.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
She's a Type 1? On a pump? I never heard of any head of state being Type 1. There are hardly any pro athletes either, I think QB Jay Cutler is the only football player. There is a senior pro golfer. Maybe a baseball pitcher at one time. How about any soccer players there?

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
She's a Type 1? On a pump? I never heard of any head of state being Type 1. There are hardly any pro athletes either, I think QB Jay Cutler is the only football player. There is a senior pro golfer. Maybe a baseball pitcher at one time. How about any soccer players there?
She has said that she isn't on a pump but has injections. I'm not sure I actually believe that statement as it must be difficult to inject when you are having a meal with a room full of foreign dignitaries. I do believe it is against the rules to eat in The Chamber at the House of Commons and she has to be careful how she does it. Having said that, I'm sure they would make an exception for her (imagine the chaos she could cause otherwise whilst having a hypo).

Mugwump

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Pump
She has said that she isn't on a pump but has injections. I'm not sure I actually believe that statement as it must be difficult to inject when you are having a meal with a room full of foreign dignitaries. I do believe it is against the rules to eat in The Chamber at the House of Commons and she has to be careful how she does it. Having said that, I'm sure they would make an exception for her (imagine the chaos she could cause otherwise whilst having a hypo).

I have heard her say she's on MDI and also that she's on a pump....so I suppose she might have changed?

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have heard her say she's on MDI and also that she's on a pump....so I suppose she might have changed?
I know up until six months ago she was saying she injected about 5 times a day. She mentioned that it was in her stomach but I can't see her doing that in front of say Donald Trump. I know she has a CGM attached as this has been seen on her arm a few times.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Certainly she has ample opportunities to do insulin injections, she might meet with Trump for 15 minutes in her whole lifetime lol. You're not gonna want to unbutton your blouse around him, next thing you know he's got his tongue down yer throat, he's a notorious pervert he is!

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
TM said she goes along with what Sir Steve Redgrave said that diabetes has to learn to live with them not them learn to live with diabetes so good for her. She has said it does not stop her doing what she always has done even going on mountain walking holidays in Switzerland with her husband. I think she is a good example that diabetes is not a disability that stops you living a normal life

Reactions: Dodo

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Certainly she has ample opportunities to do insulin injections, she might meet with Trump for 15 minutes in her whole lifetime lol. You're not gonna want to unbutton your blouse around him, next thing you know he's got his tongue down yer throat, he's a notorious pervert he is!
I need a 'yeuk' button and a 'pass the brain bleach' emoticon lol

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@TheBigNewt JC Aragone is a professional tennis player with type 1, among other issues. Admittedly, he's only ranked 421 in the world, but he exists!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Had a quick look round and she is quite a recent diagnosis.
Yet again throwing up in the air the preconceptions about T1 and T2.
From the Diabetes UK article I note a familiar statistic. "In fact, one in five people diagnosed with Type 1 are over 40 when they develop it".
Ties in with the 1 in 5 who are normal weight when diagnosed with T2. And the 1 in 5 overweight/obese who go on to develop T2. Why always 1 in 5???
Why wasn't I born with a Number 4 on my back?

I recognise her description of her diagnosis because much the same happened to me; lost half a stone and weeing all the time. However it seems that I am T2 as initially diagnosed.

Good to see someone coping. On the injection front I read that she just nips away from the table saying she has to do her insulin. I assume most people have to get up and go for a pee from time to time so no big fuss.

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I was told by a friend who was a female MP that TM definitely did MDI not a pump. She’d seen her do it.