1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Is Your Olive Oil a Fraud?

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by emptyplate, May 18, 2015.

1. brucito

brucito · Newbie

Hi

It's a nightmare to find good oil in supermarkets - always try direct from producers or known sources if possible - but you usually pay more. Interesting articles online about fake olive oils.

I picked and pressed my own olive oil in Oct 2017 in Calabria, south Italy - under the name The Tiny Batch - I just sell it by word of mouth because it's so limited - assuming I don't finish it all myself first.

I think the London markets (Borough etc) have some good locally sourced olive oils.

Cheers,
    Bruce

• Like Like x 1
  2. 1spuds

1spuds Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If you have a Costco the Kirkland brand olive is tested and has a reputation for being pure.

3. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

Spuds, you are responding to an awful lot of very old threads. For example, this one had been dormant for more than 6 months before your post.

There's nothing inherently wrong in doing as you are but it may not lead to great interactions.

4. J Agudo

J Agudo Family member · Newbie

That is a myth that I see very often, there is evidence that proves that extra virgin olive oil is suitable for pan-frying and deep-frying with no problems. The only reason to not to use it is its higher price compared with refined seed oils. Unfortunately, I cannot attach a link but if you copy:" reinosdetaifas . com/olive-oil-science " without the spaces in your browser you can see it

5. Mike D

Mike D Type 2 · Expert

Agreed 100%. I hate olive oil as it's FAR too heavy in taste and lousy for frying compared to extra virgin

6. JTL

JTL Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You'll all have a lot more to worry about once the American rubbish starts flowing freely!!
    Once the labeling gets less informative too but ... few of you seem to be worrying about the rubbish you're eating already as a concoction of chemical mixtures like never before in history.
    Dig the lawn up and get it growing food and flowers for the sake of the insects as well yourself.
    Lawns are one of the planets biggest destroyers of the environment but hardly get a mention.
    I've never understood lawn mentality anyway!
    Why would you want a garden that looked like a carpet?

• Like Like x 1
  7. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Our lawn /grass has clover for the bees worms for the birds and somewhere to put my chair to sit and watch the birds and a table for my wine
    Carol

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. JTL

Nothing wrong with a small patch .........

9. JTL

10. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook