1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Isolated

Discussion in 'Young People/Adults' started by EllieLou, Nov 10, 2019.

1. EllieLou

EllieLou Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I’ve been feeling pretty isolated recently and feel like I don’t really have any to turn to who actually understands. I don’t know any other type 1’s and I wanted to change that!
    I’m 23yrs old and live in Surrey. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in organising a group or something. I was thinking just females for now maybe aged between 18-30 so we could talk about diabetes and down days amongst ‘normal’ things and actually become friends and a good support for one another.
    I’m so sick of going out and being the only one with a pump and a sensor and everyone looking, pointing and asking me what it is and how it works. It’s great to spread info on all the amazing technology but not when I’m trying to enjoy myself!
    I was down the pub the other day and my partners friend realised I was diabetic and he actually cried for me! I just want to go out for once and it actually be ‘normal’ to inject or get out your pump!

So I was thinking trying to arrange a lunch or coffee meet up but not sure if this would be of interest or benefit others? Or even just chatting on here.

Please let me know what you all think or private message me if you want :)

Ellie

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Ellie

We used to have a fairly active group who were meeting up in London a few times each year but they seem to have drifted away from the forums over the last year or 2.

If you don't get much response here then checkout diabetes.org to see if they already have a group running near you.
    https://www.diabetes.org.uk/how_we_help/local_support_groups

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/how_we_help/type-1-events

• Like Like x 1
  3. SB.25

SB.25 Other · Well-Known Member

Hello,

sorry you feel like that. I know quite a few T1 meet ups are arranged through instagram. I follow quite a few fellow young women who have T1 and they post about meet ups, although I have never attended.

Search for such people with different hashtags such as #diabetesUK.

Hope that helps!

4. rachel162

rachel162 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Ellie,

I can definitely relate! I'm 25, and started attending the meetups organised on here a couple of years ago... it's incredible to just be surrounded by people that get it. We're pretty quiet on the forum now, but have moved to fb (T1D London Meetups group) and we get together every few months.

There are groups springing up in other parts of the country as well if you'd prefer further west, so keep an eye out on your preferred social media platform!

Good luck finding some fun T1s!

Rachel

• Like Like x 1
  5. izzyj09

izzyj09 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’m 23, live in Surrey and feeling pretty low about being diabetic as well at the moment...shoot me a message if you’d like to chat.... :)

6. sofs888

sofs888 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Ellie, I'm also 23 and living in Surrey with T1! I've only been diagnosed for just under two years and struggle a lot! It's so hard when you look fine but inside feel like a zombie and no one gets it!!! I would be keen to get a group going too :)

7. keishamarie

keishamarie Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi!
    I’m 23 & completely understand you! If you need to message me then feel free! Unfortunately I don’t live near you but always around to talk x

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook