Issue with Libre - blank screen

kingsmac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
People mentioning TIR for last 24 hours been lost. Unfortunately that is not a feature on CGMs. It was what I missed when wearing a Libre 3 for the trial. Though in fairness it helps to make you feel a little less obsessed.
Thanks for this.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: Bill_St

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That one was revised in 2019. I have no idea but has something changed between then and now?

edit: It says you need to use your meter when below 4 or having symptoms, but as long as your Libre stays above 4 and you dont have symproms, your not obliged to do a fingerprick for group 1 drivers. I think you need to have the equipment to do a fingerprick test with you though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill_St

holdem

hi yes i carry my glucose meter and pricker and strips always but i believe the rules changed about a year ago and the cgm is enough to be legally allowed to drive so long as above 5 i think it is. I think if you go low though you have to finger prick and be above 5 for 45 mins or so to be able to continue or else if an accident your insurance is invalid. I may be wrong though but i feel this is what i was told/.

Ive read your link and am now a bit more confused.

PBarks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have deleted and reloaded the app around ten times over the last two days. A bloke from Abbott even talked me through the process today but what he told me was no different to what I had been doing. However, the app did seem to be working properly. About two hours after reinstalling I realised that I had not switched on the alarms or linked my Novopen to the app. I decided to approach this in stages and switched on the alarms.. About two hours later all was well and so I linked my Novopen and almost immediately the blank screen/frozen app problems restarted. I have deleted and reinstalled the app again, switched on the alarms but NOT linked my Novopen. It is about an hour later now and the app is working as it should without my needing to scan. I have told Abbott about my findings in an email. I have asked for an immediate reply telling me what they are doing about the problem but I am not holding my breath.

PBarks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I should have said in my earlier posting that I have Shuggah running on my iPhone as well as Librelink. It is sending notifications to the cheap smartwatch that I wear (about £18 on eBay)and that is a real help. A quick glance at my wrist and I can see exactly what Shuggah is telling me without have to dig my iPhone out.

kingsmac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have deleted and reloaded the app around ten times over the last two days. A bloke from Abbott even talked me through the process today but what he told me was no different to what I had been doing. However, the app did seem to be working properly. About two hours after reinstalling I realised that I had not switched on the alarms or linked my Novopen to the app. I decided to approach this in stages and switched on the alarms.. About two hours later all was well and so I linked my Novopen and almost immediately the blank screen/frozen app problems restarted. I have deleted and reinstalled the app again, switched on the alarms but NOT linked my Novopen. It is about an hour later now and the app is working as it should without my needing to scan. I have told Abbott about my findings in an email. I have asked for an immediate reply telling me what they are doing about the problem but I am not holding my breath.
Is your Libre app updating BG every minute without you needing to scan? One or two people on here have suggested that the newest version of the app that was downloaded today no longer supports automatic updating and they’ve had to go back to scanning to get readings. I’m hoping that is not the case because that would seem to defeat the whole object of the upgrade to the app that caused all these problems in the first place!

curly

I should have said in my earlier posting that I have Shuggah running on my iPhone as well as Librelink. It is sending notifications to the cheap smartwatch that I wear (about £18 on eBay)and that is a real help. A quick glance at my wrist and I can see exactly what Shuggah is telling me without have to dig my iPhone out.
Oh, this is interesting. I know nothing about Smart watches - if I run a search on Amazon will any one link with Shuggah or do I need to look for certain functionality? I love the notifications from Shuggah but conscious that looking at your phone continually at work looks a bit off…watch could be more discreet…thanks

kingsmac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, this is interesting. I know nothing about Smart watches - if I run a search on Amazon will any one link with Shuggah or do I need to look for certain functionality? I love the notifications from Shuggah but conscious that looking at your phone continually at work looks a bit off…watch could be more discreet…thanks
I have a Garmin Forerunner 245, which, I must admit, is an expensive watch, but I use it for lots of activities and absolutely love it. When I got Shuggah working, notifications of my BG readings immediately started showing on the watch without me doing anything! You can then go into the settings in the Shuggah app, and it allows you to change the notification interval to whatever you want, in minutes. This is brilliant for me, especially being able to see my BG on the watch whilst driving or exercising. However, from PBarks post, it seems that even cheap smart watches will display this notification.

Reactions: curly

PBarks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In answer to the questions just posed, Librelink is reading automatically and without scanning. My smart watch is a F57L, just search for that in eBay. I bought the watch because the advertising that I had seen said that it measured blood sugar non-intrusively (I suppose that means no needles) and it does shine a very powerful light into my wrist when I try it but the readings are dangerously inaccurate. However I have kept it for the other functions that it has. I hope that that helps.

kingsmac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In answer to the questions just posed, Librelink is reading automatically and without scanning. My smart watch is a F57L, just search for that in eBay. I bought the watch because the advertising that I had seen said that it measured blood sugar non-intrusively (I suppose that means no needles) and it does shine a very powerful light into my wrist when I try it but the readings are dangerously inaccurate. However I have kept it for the other functions that it has. I hope that that helps.
It’s good to know that your app is still getting the data automatically without scanning. What version of the Libre app are you running? If you go into ‘about’ in the app, it will tell you there, but you probably already know that!

curly

Thanks v much. Does it work with iPhone? Just looking at Apple watches and they’re really expensive even on eBay, given that I have no other interest in owning one other than to connect to Shuggah.

kingsmac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's version2.10.1.7653
That is interesting, because that is the same version that AsepticSid said he had downloaded and it wasn’t working without scanning. It might be worth him deleting the app and downloading it again. It does seem that people who have the new version are getting 1 minute updates without scanning. So at least the original intention of the update is being delivered. I have to say I am loving Shuggah. I will reply to him, pointing out that yours is working and he has the same version.

kingsmac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just spoke to Abbott - they confirmed that the latest version of the app does NOT now include the “no need to scan” feature.
You now have to use the symbol on top right of Home Screen (like a WiFi symbol on its side!)
I have also lost the % in range on the Home Screen.

AsepticSid
If you scroll to PBarks’s posts above, you will see that he is running the same version of the app as you, but his is providing one minute updates of BG without scanning. It would be very disappointing if the update of the app did not provide this functionality when that was its original purpose. I wonder if it would be worth you deleting the app and reinstalling it and trying again? It took me at least three goes doing this to finally get it working properly. Admittedly, I am on yesterday’s update, but it is still providing me with one minute updates and no scanning and there seem to be plenty of others getting this functionality too. PBarks also says he did the delete/reinstall around 10 times before he had it working properly! It seems we have all lost the percentage in range on the home screen, because that is not supported once the app changes to automatically updating without scanning.

Last edited:

PBarks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Curly, I have an iPhone 8 and it works perfectly with the watch. Kingsmac, I think that you're right but from experience I can say that the app appears to work best if you do not link your Novopen. I wonder if it matters which smartphone you use. As I understood it the problems only persisted on iPhones.

curly

Curly, I have an iPhone 8 and it works perfectly with the watch. Kingsmac, I think that you're right but from experience I can say that the app appears to work best if you do not link your Novopen. I wonder if it matters which smartphone you use. As I understood it the problems only persisted on iPhones.
Thanks again! Ordering one now. For £18 can’t really go wrong and would be so much more convenient

PBarks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Curly, I am glad I helped but please remember what I said about the blood glucose monitoring facility, it is totally unreliable.

Reactions: curly

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi yes i carry my glucose meter and pricker and strips always but i believe the rules changed about a year ago and the cgm is enough to be legally allowed to drive so long as above 5 i think it is. I think if you go low though you have to finger prick and be above 5 for 45 mins or so to be able to continue or else if an accident your insurance is invalid. I may be wrong though but i feel this is what i was told/.

Ive read your link and am now a bit more confused.
From my understanding. DVLA don’t take a flash or CGM reading as valid. Especially if the driver is hypo unaware using it as a “prompt. They won’t accept that as “fitness to drive..”
Through it don’t hurt to have a heads up display with the sat nav, the driver still needs proof if a meter test 2 hours within getting behind the wheel of a vehicle & every 2 during a journey, driving..

There is also a “lag” with sensors coming back up. So a meter is a safer gauge, even if you feel OK but the sensor says “not.”

Through, it is good to have a well calibrated heads up display on the dash…

I’ll tag in @searley & @urbanracer . I’m confident they can clarify, either way…

Reactions: urbanracer