Issue with Libre - blank screen

gk19

Is anyone else having an issue with the app today? I’ve just got a blank screen. I’ve tried off loading the app multiple times. If I delete I don’t think my sensor (which still has 8 days on it) will work and will have to use a fresh on! Can’t get through on helpline as it says office closed. View attachment 61917
Hey! I literally just posted about the same thing!!
Yes, I’m having the same problem too. I managed to get through to someone on the phone after being on hold for 2 hours!!!
They have said they updated the app and it’s gone wrong and they have people working on it at the moment. However, they are unsure of when it will be up and running again

Reactions: Chris_foxall

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK, it sounds like Abbott have screwed up somehow. The app is no longer on the App store as there is going to be an updated version - but they can't tell me when this will be available. In the meantime they are sending me a Libre Reader and a new sensor which I have asked to be sent by express delivery.

So if anyone has the same issue - you will not be able to get/update the app from the App Store and will need to make alternative arrangements for testing your BS. I now need to get hold of more test strips.

if you click on your initials/picture in the top right corner of the App Store and then click on purchased, you can search for the freestyle app and download from the purchased section, even though you can't find it when you search directly on the App Store.

Getting_Fit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I put on a new libre sensor , the app said ,not working and replace with a new one , which I didn't have , so tried to order new, the gp practice manager said that the system won't allow to order, so I'm using the finger prick test , seems more painful . I wonder if the app was a problem and not the sensor.
It’s really important that libre send you replacements for their errors. The NHS should not have to pay again. It does take 3-4 days to arrive though but it probably costs the NHS £50 per sensor if not more. I self funded before they were available on prescription. I also had one fall off when on holiday and reported, stupidly forgot to bring BG back up or a spare. I went to buy a BG kit and with strips was very expensive. Sainsbury had a private pay libre and charged me £70

curly

Your data should still be in https://www.libreview.com/, no matter what happens to your phone!
Ah, thanks v much will try that! I do have a reader as well phone (supplied by manufacturers for free last time they messed up ) but it won’t read my current sensor. Will have to insert another one and start it with reader, which is a waste of the 8 days left on this one but at least I have the option. Hope everyone else is managing ok.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree that the update rollout is shoddy.
I disagree that thorough testing is very easy to do. If that was the case, we would not hear about so many issues like the TSB data migration issue, the VirginMedia broadband outage, aws service issues, BA flights being grounded due to problems with flight planning app, ... I could go on.
I work on the development of complex critical software systems and can confirm that it is challenging.

Not defensible but suggesting it is very easy is not understanding the complexity.
Yep, I agree. I’ve worked on complex clinical systems ant big pharma for 12 years and it can be challenging.

On iOS, where the problems are, and where I’ve done some development, there are development app stores that you deploy to where testers download to any number of iOS versions and phone setting configurations. This can be easily automated with virtual iOS devices and manual testing. They clearly have done minimal testing on this front, considering the large number of failures. Clearly a common bug.

They also should’ve followed strict compliance rules, called GxP, which I doubt they have. They’ll probably get a compliance referral since this is software as a medical device.

Edit: this also isn’t a complex software system. Essentially, it reads a Bluetooth message and prints the result

sazdragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Bullies!!
Mines been down since I updated it! So gutted I dunno where my pricker is so I don’t have a clue what my blood sugar is

Reactions: hels

curly

Mines been down since I updated it! So gutted I dunno where my pricker is so I don’t have a clue what my blood sugar is
Scary, isn’t it, how reliant we’ve all become on this technology! I did find my pricker and found earlier then blood sugar was 16mmol!!!! I’m usually 85%-90% TIR on sensor over 7 days, shows what a huge difference it’s made and how I wouldn’t want to be without it now.

patrick0612

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So glad it is not just me! Exactly the same issue…white screen, unable to locate app on App Store. What an appalling service

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Android users seem to have escaped. This is an iOS issue for the new Abbott software.
A simple solution is just to download Shuggah from the Apple Store and use that with your existing sensor until Abbott get their act together.
Abbott farm out their software development and past history has not been good for Apple compatibility. This could take some time so just use a working 3rd party product for the time being.
For android users, in the unlikely event you also have problems with the new software, just use Juggluco .com.
Both Juggluco and Shuggah cope with the current 1 minute sensor output.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apple users won't want to read this...
I'm on android (samsung) and haven't had any problems.
I did look for the upgrade yesterday but it was never available on the Play store.

Reactions: danbcfc1

Lakeslover

It’s ok using a third party app until you need to start a new sensor. This can on,y be done in the libre app or on a reader.

Having said that I’m using an iPhone 13 Pro. I updated my app yesterday, but don’t allow libre to access Bluetooth as I use XDrip4ios. My libre app is still working and I managed to start a new sensor with it this afternoon,

MelAnnC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Android users seem to have escaped. This is an iOS issue for the new Abbott software.
A simple solution is just to download Shuggah from the Apple Store and use that with your existing sensor until Abbott get their act together.
Abbott farm out their software development and past history has not been good for Apple compatibility. This could take some time so just use a working 3rd party product for the time being.
For android users, in the unlikely event you also have problems with the new software, just use Juggluco .com.
Both Juggluco and Shuggah cope with the current 1 minute sensor output.
A fantastic tip. Recently diagnosed so not familiar with everything yet. Just downloaded Shuggah and appears to be working fine. Luckily I only changed the sensor this week so hopefully Abbott have their act together by then.

Reactions: Bill_St

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As someone mentioned above if you previously had the app on your phone, even though it can’t be accessed in the App Store it can be accessed and reinstalled.
Click on My Account in the top right and click on Purchased where it will list all the apps that you have installed. Find it there and download again. You’ll need to fill in the registration info again but once done you should be able to scan your sensor (no need for. New one)

Reactions: HayleyB123

Bridgemc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As someone mentioned above if you previously had the app on your phone, even though it can’t be accessed in the App Store it can be accessed and reinstalled.
Click on My Account in the top right and click on Purchased where it will list all the apps that you have installed. Find it there and download again. You’ll need to fill in the registration info again but once done you should be able to scan your sensor (no need for. New one)
Mine wont work ☹️ Yes I have now

Last edited:

Xal

I am having the same issue as many others. App automatically updated and I went to scan Libre 2 sensor and just got white screen in the app. I am so reliant on the sensor I have no idea where my finger pricking stuff is (or if any blood strips are still in date!). Deep sigh- as if managing T1D wasn’t difficult & stressful enough!

Why would Abbott not communicate that this big update was coming? Grrrrrrrr……

Sarah72

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I’m having the same problem too. I managed to get through to someone on the phone after being on hold for 2 hours!!!
They have said they updated the app and it’s gone wrong and they have people working on it at the moment. However, they are unsure of when it will be up and running again
It’s just happened to me too. Your post reassured me that it’s a problem at their end. I’ve been rebooting my phone for half an hour but the rest of my apps are working fine. I’m still getting sensor unavailable notifications. I have reactivate hypoglycaemia and have 5-15 hypos a day. I’m completely unaware that they’re happening. I rely on the libre to make sure I’m not too low especially when I’m asleep. I hope it’s resolved quickly. Thanks again for your post.

T84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I’ve got that. How do you rectify this issue or when will it be resolved? I live on my own and am currently having a hypo so don’t know what to do