Issue with Libre - blank screen

Jono3011

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
if you click on your initials/picture in the top right corner of the App Store and then click on purchased, you can search for the freestyle app and download from the purchased section, even though you can't find it when you search directly on the App Store.
Excellent tip this. My iPhone 11 had the blank screen so I followed you advice. Deleted the app and reinstalled from the Purchased section exactly as you described. Had to reset my alarms etc but that was not a big deal. Thanks so much drahawkins_1973

kingsmac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Things seem to get better all the time! This morning, I again reinstalled the Libre app, so that I could scan my sensor to get 8 hours worth of data and now even the alarms are working, even though the sensor I scanned is nearing the end of two weeks! All the time I am still running Shuggah, with its great advantages of greater accuracy and notifications to my Garmin watch at an interval of my choosing (5 minutes). If both apps continue to run perfectly like this when I put on a new sensor tomorrow morning, that will be really excellent. Having actual data appear on my watch is fantastic, especially when driving. I wonder if Abbott are still updating the app?

Last edited:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
One word of caution. With the Libre app now updating BG every minute without having to scan the sensor, I imagine it would be easy to fall into the habit of not scanning the sensor. Do remember this needs to be done regularly (at least once every 8 hours, I think) in order to have the data go to LibreView and, therefore, be available to healthcare professionals, which is a UK requirement.
I am surprised by this.
I thought the sensor stored 8 hours of days and the scan downloaded those 8 hours to the app.
It does not upload to the cloud at that point. If it did, it would be necessary to have internet connection to do a scan.
I don't know when the upload happens but I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the scan.i believe, once the data is in the app (regardless how it got there), it will be uploaded on the next "cycle".

kingsmac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am surprised by this.
I thought the sensor stored 8 hours of days and the scan downloaded those 8 hours to the app.
It does not upload to the cloud at that point. If it did, it would be necessary to have internet connection to do a scan.
I don't know when the upload happens but I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the scan.i believe, once the data is in the app (regardless how it got there), it will be uploaded on the next "cycle".
That makes sense and it’s good to know, not sure where I came to the incorrect conclusion! Thank you for pointing that out, one less thing to worry about. I have now deleted my original post on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: In Response

curly

Thank you for this, I am now running both apps and finding the same as you that the Libre app always shows a higher reading which is at least 1mmol above Shuggah and sometimes nearer 2mmol. Using finger pricks suggests that Shuggah is the more accurate. This doesn’t make sense since both apps are getting their data from the same sensor! Having the data sent to my Garmin watch is a massive plus. Does anyone know if there is any way (like deleting the Shuggah app before starting a new sensor with Libre) that the Libre app can send data to a Garmin watch at regular intervals? It is also really good that you can adjust how often the Shuggah app sends the data to a watch, this is particularly good when sleeping wearing the watch and when driving, so Abbott need to give this level of functionality; if Shuggah can do it, surely, so can Abbott!
Completely agree - this functionality is a complete revelation and why on earth has Abbott not been offering it when they are basically supplying the majority of type 1s in the country?! Smacks of complacency. They have the business in their pocket and why bother. These Shuggah notifications amazing for pre blousing, just eating my breakfast now timed to perfection as the glucose curve starts trending strongly downwards but before it’s in free fall

Reactions: kingsmac

kingsmac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Completely agree - this functionality is a complete revelation and why on earth has Abbott not been offering it when they are basically supplying the majority of type 1s in the country?! Smacks of complacency. They have the business in their pocket and why bother. These Shuggah notifications amazing for pre blousing, just eating my breakfast now timed to perfection as the glucose curve starts trending strongly downwards but before it’s in free fall
Yes, it really does mean you can time how long to wait after injecting rapid insulin before then eating the meal that you have injected it to cover. I am now doing the same as you by using the Shuggah data to tell me when to eat. This really is a case of ‘every cloud has a silver lining’ because I’ve only discovered Shuggah because of the crash of the Libre app yesterday morning. I’m just hoping that when I change my sensor tomorrow, both apps continue to run correctly!

Reactions: curly

curly

That makes sense and it’s good to know, not sure where I came to the incorrectly conclusion! Thank you for pointing that out, one less thing to worry about. I have now deleted my original post on this.
Can confirm that I’ve just checked Libreview and all my data is there - except the 24hrs where I had no app- although I haven’t scanned in last 8 hrs.

Keith L

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Android users seem to have escaped. This is an iOS issue for the new Abbott software.
A simple solution is just to download Shuggah from the Apple Store and use that with your existing sensor until Abbott get their act together.
Abbott farm out their software development and past history has not been good for Apple compatibility. This could take some time so just use a working 3rd party product for the time being.
For android users, in the unlikely event you also have problems with the new software, just use Juggluco .com.
Both Juggluco and Shuggah cope with the current 1 minute sensor output.
Shuggah works for me. What a relief. Abbott need to get on top of this issue asap. Lots of us are no IT competent.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wanted to say thank you everyone for all your responses regarding Libre2 app meltdown. Like so many of you I couldn’t get through to Abbott yesterday so left a message on their customer care line. Had a reply saying that they would get back to me in the next three days. Had a look on Diabetes Forum and found that I wasn’t alone. I’ve deleted the app and reinstalled from App Store and all good so far. The latest version is even better than the last one. I’ve had type 1 for the past 33 years and hypo’s for 32 of them. Thanks to Abbott they’re in the past. Perhaps the best thing to happen in my time with diabetes.
Also, this is my first post on this forum although I’m a regular reader. Thanks once again, you’ve stopped me panicking.

Reactions: curly

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Open the Shuggah app and tap on settings at the bottom right and you will see one of the options is ‘notification interval’. Tap on this and then put in the number of minutes you want between each notification. It is really good.
Thanks, I’ve changed it to every 5 minutes

Dubai expat

Hey! I literally just posted about the same thing!!
Yes, I’m having the same problem too. I managed to get through to someone on the phone after being on hold for 2 hours!!!
They have said they updated the app and it’s gone wrong and they have people working on it at the moment. However, they are unsure of when it will be up and running
Hi, I’ve got that. How do you rectify this issue or when will it be resolved? I live on my own and am currently having a hypo so don’t know what to do
anyone still having issues then you need to delete the app from your settings then reload it from the cloud. You then have to put all your info back in as though you’re registering for the first time.

Olive_Deme

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I couldn’t restore from my past purchases either however there is a really good fix, download the free Shuggah app from App Store. I found it at midnight when I realised there was a problem, some lovely person posted about it. It s SO much better than the official app as it turns our Libre sensors into a proper CGM, no more scanning! Still getting my head around the alarms that you can actually change, but now have my blood sugars popping up on my calendar (so on all devices) and as a banner when I open my phone, and as a label on the app button. Will be hard to go back to the official app after using this one but will have to at least check in with it every 8 hours for the NHS data I guess!
Hi everyone
I’m having the same issue (LibreLink app blank screen).
I downloaded the Shuggah app too (saw a recommendation further up), and I’ve been using it for just over 24 hrs. It’s super easy to use, so would definitely recommend giving it a go - it’s free. You can use it with your exiting Libre and it calibrates straight away (you don’t need to apply a new one).
Good luck! :)

rgbale

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey! I literally just posted about the same thing!!
Yes, I’m having the same problem too. I managed to get through to someone on the phone after being on hold for 2 hours!!!
They have said they updated the app and it’s gone wrong and they have people working on it at the moment. However, they are unsure of when it will be up and running again
I had this issue today, had to delete the app and re install on the App Store under purchased. Lost all past data from the app but have the 8 hours of readings saved on the device. Needs another logging and will need alarms reset etc but this has worked for me, just lost all the old data so a bit frustrating. Hope this help.

mkashani

Is anyone else having an issue with the app today? I’ve just got a blank screen. I’ve tried off loading the app multiple times. If I delete I don’t think my sensor (which still has 8 days on it) will work and will have to use a fresh on! Can’t get through on helpline as it says office closed. View attachment 61917
Good morning, Yes I had the issue yesterday, all day. blank white screen, no response even after restarting the phone. I was on the support line trying to see what's going on. No one answered. Lines seemed to be unattended. I spent hrs waiting for response. I emailed, I tweeted. No joy whatsoever.
My frustration grew and grew. I felt ignored and let down by the company. Until late on the day, my son investigated, and found a reported issue on the BBC! saying the system was down due to upgrade went wrong!
Later on the company issued instructions on how to resolve the issue ( Deleting old, and reinstall new version). This did the trick, but looks like I lost all the stats for past 8 days!!
Anyway, it works now ( having lost a days usage of the sensor! will they compensate?!).

Regards..

About me:
Type 2 diabetes,
Sensor age : 8 days
On Diabetes tablets and diet
Diabetic: since 2005, age 65
Other issues: Heart bypass, Colon cancer operation, Lower anterior resection
Success in controlling the disease: Not very good , struggling!
Hopes and dreams: One day (in my lifetime), a miracle cure!

Garyg 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is an article on the BBC News page about this, apparently the app has been removed from the App Store.

Loobis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having gone through nearly two days of finger prickling (oh the pain!) I’ve finally managed to reinstall my Libre 2. Deep joy!
Thanks to everyone on this site. It was good to know I was not the only one getting really stressed.
Mind you, if all this hadn’t happened I wouldn’t have found this fab community

AsepticSid

Thank you to the wonderful wiz kid who thought about re-installing the original purchased app. Works a treat!

I wonder if Abbott will bother communicating with us when they eventually fix this - I somehow doubt it…..?

AsepticSid

Jayne190658

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve just deleted app and set up again from previous purchases. App all ok and has recognised my new scanner that I changed yesterday to use with manual machine. Thank you for your help

Jayne190658

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Likewise. This is for my wife who is the diabetic but I'm the tech support :) so here are some clarifications for the less techie!!!

Important to delete the app first from the iPhone.
Librelink app should be listed in Purchased Apps with the cloud download symbol on the right. If instead it says "open" in the Purchased Apps then it has not been deleted, in which case go back to the home screen and delete the app. Click cloud symbol to start installation.
On opening the app it had an option to Sign In to an existing Libreview.com account which I did straight away, and then still had to go through "first time" set up stuff
It did not seem to scan the sensor until I followed its instructions to tap the radiating arcs icon at top right of app screen (not the overall phone screen) then when brought up to the sensor it downloaded the last few hours and current blood sugar level. Also knows the sensor end date ok.
It also now seems to be reading the sensor continuously without scanning.
I think readings are still being sent to the libreview.com account ok.

Seems to me that the app basically works ok but only from a fresh install. Thus historical librelink data on your phone is lost and probably needs to be lost for the updated app to work. Still better than reverting to finger pricks.
Thank you. I am all sorted

Shars56

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is anyone else having an issue with the app today? I’ve just got a blank screen. I’ve tried off loading the app multiple times. If I delete I don’t think my sensor (which still has 8 days on it) will work and will have to use a fresh on! Can’t get through on helpline as it says office closed. View attachment 61917
Yes mine came down this morning, was working yesterday, now having a blank white page. Had to go digging in my stuff to find a manual glucometer