Itchy legs & cramps

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
Hi all.

I've been a T2 for about 2 years and my usual BG levels after meals are between 6 & 8, occasionally around 9 and very rarely above 10. My usual fasting levels are under 6 and to date the highest was 6.8 but that only happened once.

I have never had a cramp in my life until a couple of months ago when I suddenly started getting cramps in my feet right in the arch. I always heard that cramps are painful, now I know it.

Also, in the last 2-3 weeks I've been getting itchy legs, from knee down, when I get up in the morning but no rush, spots or redness. The itching lasts for a couple of hours and then goes away. I have also noticed some "bumps" under the skin that also disappear when the itching has gone.

I have a dark patch on one leg about the size of an egg and it seems to be spreading to other areas of the leg as well. No dark patches on the other leg or any other part of the body.

Can any of these be caused by diabetes?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
With diabetes the circulation in the legs and feet can be poor so you could get all sorts of problems. I think you should go and see your doctor/DN before it gets worse. It may or may not be diabetes related - the doctor will be able to tell you that but you should see him regardless of the cause.

The dark patch on your leg needs looking at. Do a search on acanthosis nigricans to see info about a problem some members have had which seems to be related to diabetes. I'm not saying that this is what you have however and it is obviously to be discussed with your doctor.

Some of these symptoms could be caused by a simple lack of a vitamin or mineral or they could be more serious. Try doing an advanced search on here to find information on your problems - there is a lot of info out there and I think most of these problems have been discussed before although I don't remember seeing anything about bumps on legs. Could they simply come up because of the scratching?

I also get itchy skin so I'll be looking at the answers here. Mine is probably a side effect of medication that I can't stop taking (and, yes, I did talk about it with my doctor!). Omega-3 is reputed to be helpful with itchy skin. When I get leg cramps I take magnesium for a short while which relieves them (also recommended by my doctor). You could give that a try. I've also heard that the potassium in bananas can help. :)

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
Hi, sorry for the late reply, took your advice and saw my GP today.

He said that the itchy legs could be due to poor circulation but gave me antihistamines to try out & if that doesn't help then he'll probably refer me to the hospital for further investigation. I hope it's not poor circulation otherwise the 10 year theory for diabetic complication would not apply in my case.

The dark patch is a fungal infection, (God knows how I got that sitting at home most of the time :? ), gave a cream for it.

Thanks for your help.