It's all about weight and/or excess belly fat.

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here here re: work in progress. You sound like a lovely close family. That's gotta help. I'm looking forward to comments on how I'm looking slimmer, I think I've got a way to go... hahaha:meh:

Reactions: Prem51

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The darkening days may put the kybosh on my walking too, particularly in the evenings. I may walk for longer at lunchtime, or join a contract-free gym for the winter if the weather gets really bad.
I've solved the problem, and being a bit stingy, I've ditched the bus pass and I walk. I've also a foldable bike, but I prefer not use it if it's dark, because I'm afraid to tip over an hole in the pavement, and have to go to the x-ray ward again.

Reactions: Prem51 and ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
There is also my anecdoctal case of simply eating about 150g of roast pork belly on a regular basis (lunch or dinner) with occasional intermittent fasting...with less than 1000 steps of walking per day over a year and HbA1c has dropped from 11% to 5.5% within 3 months and maintained for the past 9 months.

Weight has remained relatively stable throughout the year. ~74kg but waist line has drop a couple of inches.

My point being there has been excessive focus on weightloss rather than glucose/insulin level normalization. In fact many have noted that bariatric surgery results in normalization of insulin/glucose level before any significant weightloss has been observed.

So there is hope even for those who are unable to exercise for whatever reasons...
I wonder how much of this is due to fear of the operation. In periods of fear my bgs lower too. Prolonged stress rises mine and long periods without food. Oh and exercise.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks for your response. I appreciate certain foods act differently for different people, and certain foods can cause a spike. You say you don't feel any difference - and that was the point I made in a previous post. Do you assume because it spikes, it's causing damage. I think one can become a bit paranoid about these spikes. My doc and diabetes nurse don't recommend monitoring but I can understand those who feel spikes can cause damage and want to keep control of it. Good luck, anyway and thanks again for your reply.
I put down my lack of complications to mostly heavy monitoring. Just realised palpations is classed as a side affect to lchf diet. So not a complication due to high bgs but low carb.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have the same sensation as you are describing in my right foot and it is what got me rediagnosed as I had previously been told I was cured (yeah right). My problem with it is the more I walk on it the more numb my toes get. It is hard to find a balance between getting exercise and damaging my foot more. I also have arthritis in my toes and feet which does not help.
Has this improved since low carbing?

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am not able to exercise. I have ME. any suggestions for what i could do about fitness please?
Hello serenity. I'm probably talking rubbish, but it also might help? Do you enjoy music, sort of boogying music? I regularly spend a few hours in a car going up and down the m1 to visit family. My husband and I sing to allsorts and i find myself wriggling along to the beat in my seat. This has made me think... Now I concentrate a bit more on tensing muscles and (carefully - don't wanna knock hubby out) moving arms, mini stomach crunchies ( hmmm, crunchie- oops sorry) and leg lifts.
It's not much, but little and often is better than nothing.
I'm also often found dancing round the kitchen!
I suppose what I'm trying to say is exercise doesn't have to be structured and is always best when it's fun!!
Good luck, I understand from a friend that ME is not easy to live with.

Last edited:

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Has this improved since low carbing?
I am not sure how to answer that. Some days I think the numbness has improved and others not so much. My doctor is not so sure it is diabetic neuropathy and is sending me for nerve induction testing. Probably won't happen until December. All I know is I have that rolled up sock under my toes feeling that was described with no visible swelling although it feels swollen. The more I walk on it the more numb it gets. Pulse in foot is very good so its not a blood flow thing. I also get electric zaps in my toes at times that are not quite pain and not quite itch but something in between. Hard to explain but it makes me jump.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Here here re: work in progress. You sound like a lovely close family. That's gotta help. I'm looking forward to comments on how I'm looking slimmer, I think I've got a way to go... hahaha:meh:
Mum had a blood test done recently which raised the possibility of prediabetes. She is 70 and has a very limited diet due to her having IBS since she was in her early 30s and also has food sensitivities (can't eat a lot of fat, citrus fruits are a no-no, leafy green vegetables - forget it!). So her diet is very much limited to carbs, sugar and protein. She's already been told to cut down on the scones, sweets and ditch the potatoes. Her words were "what am I supposed to eat?!). I can see this being fun - not!. Doesn't help when the docs don't even come up with any dietary advice. As I recall her HBAC1 was 48, so if she can improve this in the next 6 weeks she will help herself. We shall just have to see how she goes. A definite work in progress.

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mum had a blood test done recently which raised the possibility of prediabetes. She is 70 and has a very limited diet due to her having IBS since she was in her early 30s and also has food sensitivities (can't eat a lot of fat, citrus fruits are a no-no, leafy green vegetables - forget it!). So her diet is very much limited to carbs, sugar and protein. She's already been told to cut down on the scones, sweets and ditch the potatoes. Her words were "what am I supposed to eat?!). I can see this being fun - not!. Doesn't help when the docs don't even come up with any dietary advice. As I recall her HBAC1 was 48, so if she can improve this in the next 6 weeks she will help herself. We shall just have to see how she goes. A definite work in progress.
Oh golly, mums eh... doesn't sound like the LCHF would work here. I wish I could offer :shy:advice, but, I'm a newby and haven't got the experience you might need. Is it worth asking a more specific question to help your mum. Someone out there will have something helpful to say:rolleyes:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not sure how to answer that. Some days I think the numbness has improved and others not so much. My doctor is not so sure it is diabetic neuropathy and is sending me for nerve induction testing. Probably won't happen until December. All I know is I have that rolled up sock under my toes feeling that was described with no visible swelling although it feels swollen. The more I walk on it the more numb it gets. Pulse in foot is very good so its not a blood flow thing. I also get electric zaps in my toes at times that are not quite pain and not quite itch but something in between. Hard to explain but it makes me jump.

Has your Doc ever mention Morton's or Non-Morton's Neuroma, Chalup? Those are the symptoms I had when mine was in a grumpy phase.

Once the diagnosis was established, I decided just to keep it, rather than consider the treatment options on the table at the time. Mine seems to have settled a pretty much, although the thought of the treatment or surgery is enough for me to convince myself of that anyway!

Now I know it's there, I take extra special care to wear well fitting shoes; avoiding anything even thinking about being tight, and when doing any sport, I make sure my shoes are supporting and well padded. Fingers crossed it stays in it's current comfort zone. Morton's or Non-Morton's doesn't cure itself, it's always there, but as I say, I just try to stop it becoming grumpy.

I'm obviously not trying to diagnose you Chalup, just thinking your symptoms are a bit like I suffered. This was many moons before the Big D came to call.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@chalup - have you been tested for B12 deficiency?
No I have not and I have wondered about that. I take supplements and the doctor will occasionally give me a B12 shot on the it can't hurt plan. It is something I had planned to ask for especially as I am on metformin.