It's all about weight and/or excess belly fat.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have the same sensation as you are describing in my right foot and it is what got me rediagnosed as I had previously been told I was cured (yeah right). My problem with it is the more I walk on it the more numb my toes get. It is hard to find a balance between getting exercise and damaging my foot more. I also have arthritis in my toes and feet which does not help.

Reactions: Freema
S

serenity648

I am not able to exercise. I have ME. any suggestions for what i could do about fitness please?

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your response. I appreciate certain foods act differently for different people, and certain foods can cause a spike. You say you don't feel any difference - and that was the point I made in a previous post. Do you assume because it spikes, it's causing damage. I think one can become a bit paranoid about these spikes. My doc and diabetes nurse don't recommend monitoring but I can understand those who feel spikes can cause damage and want to keep control of it. Good luck, anyway and thanks again for your reply.

Its no more boring then cycling 30-40 miles a couple of times each week :D

MikeZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A couple of months ago I posted that I believed type 2 diabetes was probably down to weight. I also queried the need for monitoring blood sugar levels: if you felt o.k. after eating a particular food why bother to monitor. I was taken to task by a couple of posters who claimed that slim and normal weight people did suffer from type 2; also that HbA1c measurements didn't tell the full story, and it was the spikes in blood sugar that caused the problems - but what problems?
I didn't particularly dispute this but I decided to carry out my own experiment.
Before I was diagnosed in January this year I had already started a fairly intensive exercise programme. I'm an ex racing cyclist and wanted to get fit so I could once again enjoy my bike when the weather improved in the spring. My racing weight had been about 11st. 10lb. but owing to inactivity it had risen to 12st. 13lb. - not particularly overweight for my height, but there was definitely some excess there.
At around this time my HbA1c was 65, wheresas it should have been between 42 to 48. In addition to the extensive exercise on my trainer, I did pursue the low-carb diet. I even went to the extent of weighing my food in order to keep within a prescribed limit.
The weight dropped off and by April I was down to 11 st. and in May my HbAc1 was down to 46.
It was at this stage I began to conduct my experiment. I continued with my intensive exercise on the trainer and a couple of rides each week - between 30 to 45 miles. But I no longer religiously kept to the low carb diet. I did keep to a sensible diet: no sugar and only between two to four very thin slces of bread per week, but other than this I ate normally. I monitored my weight daily and it remained constant between about 10st.12lb. and 11st. 3lb. When I went for my HbA1c test August it had fallen even further to 39.
I'm not suggesting my type 2 diabetes is reversed, as some claim when it drops to these low levels, because the raised levels will come back if I stuff myself silly and don't exercise. But the point I am making, and what my experiment has proved (for me anyway) is that if you maintain a sensible diet (not necessarily austere) and exercise regularly to maintain a constant weight, your HbA1c levels should remain within the prescribed limits.

Priam, my take on this is easy to understand. You, like me, let yourself go to a certain extent. And we both were able to, (fairly easily), overcome our diagnosis and "reverse" things. However, it is extremely important to note that we all arrived here from a different path and some of us have more complicated reasons for how we got here and, therefore, more complicated solutions for how we proceed.

I'm not suggesting that you are dismissive of the differences between all of us. I just wanted to make it crystal clear that Type 2 is not exclusive to those of us that merely let ourselves get out of shape.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Type 2 is not exclusive to those of us that merely let ourselves get out of shape.

Some of us were shouting and screaming while we got out of shape. My GP honestly thought that weight gain, a side effect of taking Rosiglitazone (and Gliclazide) while keeping control of calorie intake, was an acceptable, in preference to having elevated BG.

We don't all merely let ourselves get out of shape. I suppose you might if you were a sumo wrestler.

Reactions: Serena51 and Prem51

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am not able to exercise. I have ME. any suggestions for what i could do about fitness please?
I do not know what level of disability you have but really anything you can do to move your body will help. Swimming is particularly good as it is zero impact and not weight bearing. Resistance bands can be worked with sitting down and one member has a nifty little exercise bike that sits in front of your chair and you can peddle while sitting in your chair. Just moving to music is also very good and a mood lifter as well. It does not matter whether you are in a chair or standing up just that you love the music. Soup cans make good weights for lifting your arms and a cheap set of ankle weights worn during everyday movement around the house helps too. I hope some of this helps or gives you some ideas.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
A couple of months ago I posted that I believed type 2 diabetes was probably down to weight. I also queried the need for monitoring blood sugar levels: if you felt o.k. after eating a particular food why bother to monitor. I was taken to task by a couple of posters who claimed that slim and normal weight people did suffer from type 2; also that HbA1c measurements didn't tell the full story, and it was the spikes in blood sugar that caused the problems - but what problems?<snip>

Very good news that you have your BG under control.

However (probably like previous posters) there is one thing that I think is wrong with your conclusions.

You say "if you felt o.k. after eating a particular food why bother to monitor".

The point is that most of us don't have a built in sense of when our blood sugar is elevated.
I can't (a couple of hours after a meal) think "Whoops! I can feel my BG is 8.7."
This is the reason for BG meters - to measure what we can't feel.

Many people go undiagnosed for years without feeling any noticeable effect on a day to day basis. It is only when the cumulative effects of constantly elevated BG start to show through physical damage that the underlying diabetes is diagnosed.

Others (such as myself) get very elevated blood sugars quite suddenly (I had a medical the year before I was diagnosed and this didn't flag up diabetes). In my case I had the tiredness, constant urination and sudden dramatic weight loss of half a stone. Once I'd started to take control these symptoms went away but it still took me quite a long time to get my numbers half way decent.

I just can't tell what my BG levels are at any time of the day or week without testing. Often the result is a complete surprise being a lot lower or a lot higher than expected.

Oh, and I note that later down the thread you say that you had unresolved foot problems for years before you were diagnosed which were then attributed to your diabetes. So "what problem?" is "that problem".

Out of interest, what is your height? From the weights you quoted you were quite possibly never "officially" overweight and certainly not obese. It would also help us to work out roughly where you are on the much derided BMI scale.

You seem to be a good example of what can be achieved if you take extreme measures soon after diagnosis by going very low carb and high exercise and getting your weight down significantly within the normal BMI range.

Reactions: Prem51

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I remember being told once that to tell a Myasthenic that's me to do more exercise is rather like telling a Diabetic that's also me to eat more sugar.

Damned if I do damned if I don't .

I have diabetes because of the meds I take for Myasthenia It's not always so straight foreword, sometimes it's more complex.

S

serenity648

I do not know what level of disability you have but really anything you can do to move your body will help. Swimming is particularly good as it is zero impact and not weight bearing. Resistance bands can be worked with sitting down and one member has a nifty little exercise bike that sits in front of your chair and you can peddle while sitting in your chair. Just moving to music is also very good and a mood lifter as well. It does not matter whether you are in a chair or standing up just that you love the music. Soup cans make good weights for lifting your arms and a cheap set of ankle weights worn during everyday movement around the house helps too. I hope some of this helps or gives you some ideas.

thank you. I go swimming twice a week, on good days. I love music and will try the dancing in my chair. I hope knitting counts as exercise : )

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I remember being told once that to tell a Myasthenic that's me to do more exercise is rather like telling a Diabetic that's also me to eat more sugar.

Damned if I do damned if I don't .

I have diabetes because of the meds I take for Myasthenia It's not always so straight foreword, sometimes it's more complex.
That's me too - ended up with diabetes because of the steroids I have to take for Myasthenia (which I've had for 30 years). Damned if you do and damned if you don't. My MG is at least stable at the moment so I'm gradually cutting my dose but I'm going to have to tell my consultant about the new situation. Hey ho.

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
Its nice that so many of you can lose the weight so easily ... not all of us can.

Reactions: Freema

Julesatnotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am 5ft weigh 8.1 stone and have just been diagnosed as type 2 diabetic. I don't like rice or pasta and always thought I have a healthy diet, I eat salad most days. It's not always obese people who become diabetic

Reactions: Prem51 and Freema

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Nicksu when I asked my neurologist if I could try and step down preds from 15mg/day and come of them he said no way and that my diabetes was less important than a possible crisis if I come off them. My MG is not controlled even after 20 years . And they won't give me IvIg as it's now reserved for those in crisis it seems.

Hope you are dealing with it OK I'm sick of it to be honest.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
@Nicksu when I asked my neurologist if I could try and step down preds from 15mg/day and come of them he said no way and that my diabetes was less important than a possible crisis if I come off them. My MG is not controlled even after 20 years . And they won't give me IvIg as it's now reserved for those in crisis it seems.

Hope you are dealing with it OK I'm sick of it to be honest.
I must admit, I've been looking into alternatives to the steroids for quite a while. The Anti-inflammatory diet has been noted and also the herbs liquorice and Kalawalla. The combination of the two is sold under the name "immunocalm". More details are on the link: http://www.regenerativenutrition.com//shop-product.asp?prod=138. The article is worth reading. You can buy the product elsewhere cheaper. I've been trying this and we shall have to see how it goes. I've got down to 15mg pred a day and it's mostly under control.

I've had MG since I was 15 (which started with the classic symptoms of a droopy eye). Unfortunately ended up having a crisis at the age of 20 when I got chicken pox and have problems ever since. Frustrating and I've had my ups and downs I have to admit. You sure need your sense of humour with MG!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I was started on Azathioprine now at 200 mg per day about a a year ago it's meant to be a steroid sparing medication so am now down to 15 mg of preds per day I had thought that the Azathioprine would mean I could come off preds altogether but have now been disabused of that idea. the preds have been affecting my skin and blood vessels for some time now with huge purple bruises on arms and hands but it seems the gifts that steroids give like the diabetes you have no choice but to keep, hay ho it's a great life if you don't weaken :)

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I was started on Azathioprine now at 200 mg per day about a a year ago it's meant to be a steroid sparing medication so am now down to 15 mg of preds per day I had thought that the Azathioprine would mean I could come off preds altogether but have now been disabused of that idea. the preds have been affecting my skin and blood vessels for some time now with huge purple bruises on arms and hands but it seems the gifts that steroids give like the diabetes you have no choice but to keep, hay ho it's a great life if you don't weaken :)
My consultant did float the possibility of trying Azathioprine but I was always put off by the possible side effects (which at the time seemed worse than the ones for steroids!). I was always told that it would replace the steroids, but from your post it turns out not! Interesting. This was why I was looking into alternatives which would calm the immune response down to normal (instead of flattening it as high doses of steroids do).

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Prior to the end of the summer (boo hoo!) when I was getting home from work (after 7pm), I would go for a half hour brisk walk. Because of the change in light levels now and going forward, I can't really do that safely. So I've changed my hours so I start work half an hour later and finish half an hour later (which makes not much difference to how I work), but means that I can get off the bus at a few stops earlier than I would have done and walk to work. This gives me the chance to get my exercise in before the work day starts (and puts me in a better frame of mind for the day). I am thankful that my employers allowed me to change my hours, and will continue to do this. Just a bit of food for thought.

Also been doing LCHF since diagnosed just over 8 weeks ago. Shifted 1½ stone approximately. Still a lot to lose - at least 3 stone, but this has been a kick up the backside for me and a nudge for the rest of my family who are overweight. My sister has given up chocolate and mum's given up buying cakes - both with positive effects on their waistlines! Small changes can have big effects.

Very clever, walking to work, good for you. I started LCHF 2 weeks ago, don't think I;m loosing weight as I've got to manage my portions better, but at least I know I've stopped eating drinking naughty carbs.

Well done for helping your mum and sister change their ways, they must be delighted with the results...

Reactions: Prem51

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Very clever, walking to work, good for you. I started LCHF 2 weeks ago, don't think I;m loosing weight as I've got to manage my portions better, but at least I know I've stopped eating drinking naughty carbs.

Well done for helping your mum and sister change their ways, they must be delighted with the results...
Thank you for that. I seemed to put on weight after I had lost some but then I realised that I had replaced fat with muscle through walking (and muscle weighs more per square inch than fat plus it burns more fat the more muscle you have). I think its more a case of seeing how clothes fit - and the comments from people saying haven't you lost weight! Its always nice when they notice!

Mum and sister have a way to go - my poor sister particularly, since she has piled on weight because of her own health problems (arthritis, gout, fibromyalgia and an ankle held together with pins), but she keeps on trying. An going work in process for all of us.

Last edited: