1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Itv Wed 13/14 Jun 2018 - The Fast Fix: Diabetes

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by ringi, Jun 8, 2018.

1. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This is one ITV Wed 13 Jun 2018 9pm and Thu 14 Jun 2018 9pm - please don't blame me if you don't like it!

https://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/itv-commissions-radical-attempt-reverse-diabetes
    https://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week24/fast-fix-diabetes
    https://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep2week24/fast-fix-diabetes

Why can't ITV get as good doctors as BBC?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Thanks for the heads up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Yes, I saw the preview bit on TV this evening. Thanks for the info on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Looks like another ND prog.. Dr Zoe Williams a diabetes expert? Really? Not from her performance at the PHC Conference she ain't..

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ringi

Did she speak at the PHC conference?

6. bulkbiker

Yes all about how exercise was the cure for all ills.. I was muttering under my breath for most of it.. as were quite a few others.. I'm not quite sure why she was there but was a bit up herself unlike most of the other presenters.

7. ringi

Sometimes the only way to get people to come to listen to talks is to give them the mike.....

At least she promoted the BBC low carb program onTwitter, she is @DrZoeWilliams

8. bulkbiker

And maybe she dragged Michael Moseley along too... although he was at the dinner that evening and I don't recall her being there.

9. Jenny15

Jenny15 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

IMO there is no quick fix for anything weight-related. Yes, calorie restriction for 4 weeks will cause weight loss in obese people. It almost certainly won't stop them putting it back on later. It's good to have programmes that raise public awareness and stimulate discussion, though.

In my experience, sustained carb reduction with appropriate fat consumption is the only thing that reduces my weight. It's pretty sound medical advice that anyone with a diagnosed medical condition should consult their doctor before starting on a weight loss plan. Morbid obesity is a medical condition. Drastic diets can be harmful in some people, especially if nutritional deficiencies result. Proper medical supervision can prevent this.

The key is to sustain the eating changes long term. That's always been my achilles heel. I'm doing the best I can these days and no one can rightly ask for more than that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ringi

It is a very odd format they are using, as the key for getting the ND to work, is the support people get at the end of the shakes while they are going back to real food. Yet they seem to be giving most support at the start.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jenny15

I guess with a made-for-TV format it doesn't matter what happens to the people after the 4 weeks. I've become more cynical as I get older. Hate to think what I will be like once I turn 50, lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. ringi

But the BBC crush diet program, that had a "made for TV format", did a very good job of showing the support people needed after the shakes, and what food they then started to eat, along with avoiding takeaway etc.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Jenny15

Good to hear. I haven't seen that one and had in mind all the other reality TV shows I've seen, not just weight loss ones. In general I find these show producers often don't care about the short or long term welfare of participants. If they do, great.

14. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

The second episode is about how they get on when they go home.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Maintenance has been my downfall too.

I'm coming to the conclusion.... Diet/lifestyle isn't as important as the game of sustaining the new lifestyle, longterm.

I did my own version of nd in 1985. I lost 7st and about 5 dress sizes.
    It was for approx 8mths but I became bored and worried of the vomiting when I looked at a fried egg.
    I had no contingency plan nor knew what I was doing and my parents didn't care.
    So guess what happened next?
    I readded most of the weight over a 4yr period but fought with my weight until in 2013 I gave up.
    I ended up on insulin which helps with energy but my weight losses have only been on low fat AND low carb. Lchf started me adding weight due to overeating on nuts and cheese.
    I am hungry even on lchf.
    Bariatric surgery will fix the hunger so I can reprogrammed my eating lifestyle going forward.
    Too many nuts can be harmful. Too much of anything can.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Even that's not a guarantee. I can say with one hand on my heart and the other on my food scales and food diaries that I eat way less than my BMR and have done for ten years. I think I get calories out of thin air. LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  17. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I'm sure since starting insulin therapy that problem has changed into just fat made from insulin. My body shape changed when I started insulin too. It's great if you can exercise calories off.
    Ive just realised I no longer have that problem. Basal insulin might be the biggest help. Even if I don't eat basal carries me through with less Hypers. Hypers longterm stop me losing weight. Only if my bgs are in 4s and 5s longterm do I lose weight. Even on metformin... I'm finding.

18. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

I am going to rain on the parade and say I HATE this quick fix ideas. I see it as another stick to beat obese people with. They sout from the rooftops that they have found a fast, cheap Cure All and then, when it all goes wrong in the long term, when the cameras are off and the support dries up, they blame the people trying the diet.

Its a marathon, not a sprint.

I predict the same result as when the NHS withdrew proper long term counselling and replaced it with Mindfulness and CBT for serious psychological issues.

GGAAAHHH!!

(i will now put my soapbox away and open a bottle of merlot)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. MinaRotter

MinaRotter Type 1 · Active Member

What do they do for an encore? Cure obesity with snake oil?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Yes but you have to rub it on all over then when you go into a restaurant for a meal no waiter will come near you.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook