I've been dismissed

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Went to see the dietician yesterday. She was lovely and smiley a very nice lady. Told her I was lowcarbing, she said that the brain needs carbs to function. We then had a discussion about BS and carbs, and she waved the booklet around and said we have changed it a little, I said that I had done the best thing with it and recycled it. She was really nice, but towting the NHS line. Anyway top and bottom of it is she suggested that as my mind wasn't going to be changed then they couldn't do anything for me and maybe I should be invited back every year. I said that was probably for the best. I did say that as its my health, my diabetes no-one was really going to help me but me. It all ended very well, smiles all round, then off I tootled to the cessation clinic.

Grazer

Good result. I saw the dietician BEFORE i found this forum and followed her advice. As a result, I LOVED my "one or two" mince pies over christmas, with the "few" after eights and roses chocs, all of which she said were fine. Wondered why I kept getting BGs in the 14s.
For the brain to operate, I belive it needs about 25 grams of carbs a day - well within a low carb diet. Borofergie the caveman will enlighten you better on this, when he's finished inventing his new gadget, the wheel :wink:

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
dawnmc wrote
she said that the brain needs carbs to function

It doesn't. It needs glucose. The body can produce its own.
What would be her take on the two men who ate nothing but meat for a year ?
Did they cheat ? Were their brains addled ?

One day our day will come :D

Geoff
p.s. was 'cessation' painful :lol:

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Actually it is lol. It means giving up my only vice.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Warning - Sarcasm against the dangerous DUcK.

Low carb is a lot worse than simple brain malfunction, together with problems with digestion & feeling fuller for shorter.

Back in 2003, according to Balance, dangers of "breakdown of vital muscle & body tissues" "increased risk of heart disease, cancers & bowel disorders" "the risk of kidney disease" and back then "Research into the long-term effects of low-carb diets is now required. And in response to this, Diabetes UK is funding such research."

Eight years on we have the 2011 D UK “Position Statement” where we read:
"More research is needed to assess the effectiveness of varying degrees of low-carbohydrate diet on weight, glycaemic control, hypertension and lipid profile in people with Type 2 diabetes as well as to investigate the long term effects of these diets."

Deep in the DUK website is a link to a comprehensive 2011 “Evidence-based nutrition guidelines” document which includes on P. 17:
“Low-carbohydrate diets have created some controversy, but both a recent review and meta-analysis suggest that they are associated with significant reductions in body weight and improvements in glycaemic control.......
Concern has been expressed about the potential adverse effects of these diets, especially on cardiovascular risk, but there remains no evidence of harm over the short term.”

When will they ever learn ....???? Or at least admit the might, just might, be wrong????

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
I imagine the Low fat food product manafacturing industry wouldn't die with dignity either and would try any tactics it could to 'Pi*s on the parade' of low carb high fat diet regimes. :thumbdown:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Have they done any research on the potential adverse effects of low fat diets???

Check the web - low fat diets have been linked to:

- Alzheimers
- Depression
- WEIGHT GAIN
- HEART DISEASE (http://www.naturalnews.com/035295_low-f ... myths.html)
- Cancer
- Vitamin deficiency
- Gall Bladder Issues

I'm not trying to put the frighteners on anybody - just raising the point that the only "research" that gets done is that which will lead to big profits. Ther is NO PROFIT in making everyone as healthy as possible!

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Patch said:
Have they done any research on the potential adverse effects of low fat diets???

Check the web - low fat diets have been linked to: .......

I'm not trying to put the frighteners on anybody - just raising the point that the only "research" that gets done is that which will lead to big profits. There is NO PROFIT in making everyone as healthy as possible!

No need to check the web - we all know from experience (& reading the Daily Mail) that current "healthy eating" advice is leading to widespread health problems, including ever-increasing incidence of heart disease & diabetes. In the case of diabetes, it accelerates the onset of complications.

My Dr suggested the best way of ensuring compliance with the "health" recommendation to take statins would be to put them in the public water supply.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Erm statins in the water has been suggested by a Doctor it was in the press.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
dawnmc said:
Erm statins in the water has been suggested by a Doctor it was in the press.
I hope it was in the Daily Mail - no-one will take it seriously.

That will boost the sales of bottled water - buy your shares NOW!

It would be disastrous for the 5,000,000 Brits who suffer side effects - or perhaps we should say EFFECTS.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I remain amazed that the NHS, DUK etc can talk about the 'potential adverse effects of a low-carb diet' whereas we all know that the current high-carb diet in Western society is proven to be distinctly harmful. Where is the science in all of that?

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Blimey - you lot!

You'll be saying smoking is bad for you next and that women should have the vote and that the Earth isn't flat.

Get a grip and go and eat your VAT free pasties...

Dillinger

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Dillinger said:
Get a grip and go and eat your VAT free pasties...

Just seen that in the news this morning.........the power of Greggs eh! :lol:

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Congratulations on taking control and standing your ground Dawn :D

the east man

Dislikes
having to think about everything I eat
IanD said:
Warning - Sarcasm against the dangerous DUcK.

Low carb is a lot worse than simple brain malfunction, together with problems with digestion & feeling fuller for shorter.

Back in 2003, according to Balance, dangers of "breakdown of vital muscle & body tissues" "increased risk of heart disease, cancers & bowel disorders" "the risk of kidney disease" and back then "Research into the long-term effects of low-carb diets is now required. And in response to this, Diabetes UK is funding such research."

Eight years on we have the 2011 D UK “Position Statement” where we read:
"More research is needed to assess the effectiveness of varying degrees of low-carbohydrate diet on weight, glycaemic control, hypertension and lipid profile in people with Type 2 diabetes as well as to investigate the long term effects of these diets."

Deep in the DUK website is a link to a comprehensive 2011 “Evidence-based nutrition guidelines” document which includes on P. 17:
“Low-carbohydrate diets have created some controversy, but both a recent review and meta-analysis suggest that they are associated with significant reductions in body weight and improvements in glycaemic control.......
Concern has been expressed about the potential adverse effects of these diets, especially on cardiovascular risk, but there remains no evidence of harm over the short term.”

When will they ever learn ....???? Or at least admit the might, just might, be wrong????
:thumbup: