I've given up

CluelessJoe

Hi
After many visits to the doctor (and many shouting matches), and lots of lectures from family and my useless nefrologist, I've finally given in to them. I'm now on a diet with high carbs and very little protein. As my kidneys are only working at 30% now I have to limit protein). I have to eat pasta 4 times per week for dinner (I'm in Spain, I have dinner at around 21:30), homemade pizza twice and potatoes once. No fish, no chicken and hardly any meat. I have to have 30g of bread four times a day too.

I can't hardly eat anything, what's good for my diabetes is bad for my kidneys and vice versa, I'm injecting 50 units every morning and I'm getting fatter than I've ever been. I don't see the point of it all anymore, it's a fight that cant be won.

I don't know why I'm writing this here really, I don't really know anyoe here, just felt like a good place to write...

I told my wife I would commit suicide before going to kidney dialysis, she isn't happy of course but who wants to "live" their life in hospital 3 times a week connected to a machine?

Sorry for the miserable post

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi
After many visits to the doctor (and many shouting matches), and lots of lectures from family and my useless nefrologist, I've finally given in to them. I'm now on a diet with high carbs and very little protein. As my kidneys are only working at 30% now I have to limit protein). I have to eat pasta 4 times per week for dinner (I'm in Spain, I have dinner at around 21:30), homemade pizza twice and potatoes once. No fish, no chicken and hardly any meat. I have to have 30g of bread four times a day too.

I can't hardly eat anything, what's good for my diabetes is bad for my kidneys and vice versa, I'm injecting 50 units every morning and I'm getting fatter than I've ever been. I don't see the point of it all anymore, it's a fight that cant be won.

I don't know why I'm writing this here really, I don't really know anyoe here, just felt like a good place to write...

I told my wife I would commit suicide before going to kidney dialysis, she isn't happy of course but who wants to "live" their life in hospital 3 times a week connected to a machine?

So sorry to read your sad post, it must feel like your life and well being are been taken away, but there is always hope, even though you may feel it is all worthless and you can't see any light at the end of the tunnel. Are you able to do any sort of exercise/yoga or maybe start some meditation as these could help and be very beneficial, but talking to other members with diabetes is a big help, you are not alone.
With my best wishes.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

it is okay you need to tell how you really feel and get a tiny little bit of it off your shoulders...

I am sad for you too and send you a virtual hug... so sad..

I can just suggest you a few other foods to choose between...
how about eating macadamia nuts , they almost are pure fat and taste good... I think you need a lot of fat too.

of cause you are not happy right now... ......but try stay to with no protein diet ...
I lived 7 months once on the hospital of only glucose-water, salt water and a bit of potassium-added water into my veins , so one can live a long time without proteins ... and then you give your kidney the best conditions you can give them...

Last edited:

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
who wants to "live" their life in hospital 3 times a week connected to a machine?
I know/knew a lot of people who would be happy to live their life in hospital 3x a week if it meant they could stay with their family for a little longer .. Take time to look round at what you have .. and not what you are loosing .. Please

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Are you having enough fats in your diet. I'm sure having that level of carb is a bad idea despite being limited on the proteins you can have. You could move to better fibrous carbs as well such as good fruits and have plenty of veg?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What about fats? I know they are considered unhealthy, but the small 'fat bombs' might be of help if you are very hungry and need to avoid more carbs - it is, after all, carbs and insulin which cause fat to be added to your stores, not fats, which do not cause insulin to increase in the same way as carbs.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

Sorry to see that you have such a dilemna.

I have gained weight because of advice from medics, in the form of prescribed medication. It's a bummer, can't think of anything to describe taking medical advice and having an aspect of your life just getting worse.

I think you would benefit from researching the whole area of low carb high fat diets, specifically with Chronic Kidney Disease in mind. It's possible that the high carbs you've been told to eat may not be the best advice, maybe a second opinion would be good.

I Googled "low protein low carb diet for kidney failure", the following is just one of the interesting articles. Obviously the thing with googling is that you have to be very careful of what you read and digest. If I read several independent articles which say the same thing (not just copies of each other) I start thinking that there's some truth in what they're saying. Just have to be careful.

http://www.livescience.com/35630-ketogenic-diet-reverses-mice-kidney-disease.html

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My dad carried on for quite a number of years with 30% kidney function after having gone thru 2 heart bypass, multiple angioplasty, and various surgeries.

But looking back I think his quality of life would have been better if we had been more carbs aware and fats friendly.

Don't be disheartened. Focus on managing your post meal glucose. Have earlier dinner and get enough sleep...

http://www.mykidney.org/KidneyDisease/ChronicKidneyDisease.aspx

And do check out Dr Jason Fung's blog
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: Snapsy and Freema

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@CluelessJoe the very fact that you have posted this and shared your story with us here demonstrates that you have not given up. I'm sending you every strength. Please don't be disheartened - it is not easy, it really isn't, but there is some absolutely terrific advice from all the other posters in relation to your post, and I would recommend following those links and see what might help.

You're in excellent company here, @CluelessJoe , and we're all rooting for you.

:)

Reactions: Gannet
S

Sable_Jan

Please don't give up.
If you start a new thread mayb entitled "living with kidney disease & diabetes" in the Type 2 (or whichever you are) section of the forum you might find more people like yourself who can offer "been there; worn the T-shirt" advice.
Big hugs

Reactions: Snapsy
D

debrasue

I agree with what all the other members have said, especially Snapsy, when she says that the mere fact that you have posted here suggests that you haven't given up yet.

Your situation does indeed sound severe, but please take heart from the support that people are freely offering you here. It's through taking and offering support that we can ALL help ourselves and each other, and you too will have a lot to offer others in this terrible dilemma when you have been able to regain your equilibrium.

And you CAN do it. Take a little time to read some of the threads and see the miracles this forum has managed to achieve. We are all rooting for you...

Sending you big hugs, and wishing you strength and courage xxx

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@CluelessJoe So sorry to hear of your dilemma. I am a few year behind you. Low Carb for BS, now being advised to have a low fat diet for cholesterol, and low protein to protect my kidneys which are show early stages of disease. Leaves me with water then :nailbiting:
Like you I am attracted to quality of life over quantity, and if the grim reaper don't visit me when the time comes, I will visit him/her.
Hopefully that day is a long way away for the both of us

Reactions: Sable_Jan

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I don't know why I'm writing this here really, I don't really know anyone here, just felt like a good place to write...

@CluelessJoe

I will pray for you.

Best wishes..

LBB

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi @CluelessJoe so sorry to read of your situation, you have the support of so many of us on this forum. Please take care of yourself! A huge hug for you!

Reactions: Sable_Jan