I've just received my latest blood test results...

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Apologies in advance if this belongs in another forum!

I've just received my latest blood test results:

Fasting glycaemia 1.52 g/L and 8.44 mmol/L.
I don't have a HbA1c

Guess that's it then :-(

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
May I ask, were you expecting something different? Unfortunately, most people can't change their numbers overnight, and I noticed in some of your past posts that you had recently joined.

I'm sure it's disappointing, but don't get down too much. It's a marathon not a sprint. Have you considered investing in a glucometer to track your results more frequently?

Reactions: 2 people

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
May I ask, were you expecting something different? Unfortunately, most people can't change their numbers overnight, and I noticed in some of your past posts that you had recently joined.

I'm sure it's disappointing, but don't get down too much. It's a marathon not a sprint. Have you considered investing in a glucometer to track your results more frequently?
To be honest without a HbA1c I'm a bit lost. I can see that the above results are clearly not good at all. Seeing the doc on Friday and I'll see what he says. So far I haven't been diagnosed type 2 but I imagine that that will change now. I will definitely get a meter now.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest without a HbA1c I'm a bit lost. I can see that the above results are clearly not good at all. Seeing the doc on Friday and I'll see what he says. So far I haven't been diagnosed type 2 but I imagine that that will change now. I will definitely get a meter now.

As I understand it, in the UK at least, in France it may differ, two fasting tests in excess of 7, or an HbA1c of 48 or is usually enough to diagnose diabetes. :(

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
As I understand it, in the UK at least, in France it may differ, two fasting tests in excess of 7, or an HbA1c of 48 or is usually enough to diagnose diabetes. :(
I'm well out of the ranges indicated in the test results so I guess I'll be diagnosed soon. I think in France too they base diagnosis on two fasting tests.

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
How did you get on with your diagnosis?
Hi, thanks for thinking of me!
I can no longer go to the doctor today because my husband had an accident last night (he's learning to ride a motorbike) and did his knee in. He's not very mobile so I can't leave him for the moment. I'll have to try and go in a few days. In the meantime I'm continuing to cut down on the carbs. I bought the Kindle edition of the Real Meal Revolution yesterday and the recipes look great. I'll order a meter - I was wondering whether the doctor would prescribe one but I guess it's better in the meantime to order one and get a head start. Like that I'll have some data to show the doc!

Edit: just ordered the meter

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great stuff, you won't look back.Get a diary and keep records of your tests and what you are eating.I test first thing in the morning to get a fasting level.And I mean first thing before you really get going,as you may get caught out with "dawn phenomenon"
Then I test before each meal and then 1 hr and 2 hrs after last bite.You will soon see a pattern and be able to judge what you can tolerate.
Check out the "what have you eaten today thread" always good for ideas and remember any old conventions about what should be eaten together are over.I have some lets just say " interesting " combinations which are safe for me.

I hope your husband gets better soon.Don't let him be put off biking the best fun you can have with your clothes on!!

revive@2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
yobs +litter/.Loud music on t.v. when actors speaking
I have blood test but she not tell me in mmmm ??she said 56 it was 70 6 month ago so she pleased how doooo you change that into mmmmm like they do in forum???

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I have blood test but she not tell me in mmmm ??she said 56 it was 70 6 month ago so she pleased how doooo you change that into mmmmm like they do in forum???
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1456510046.880686.jpg
this should help

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Great stuff, you won't look back.Get a diary and keep records of your tests and what you are eating.I test first thing in the morning to get a fasting level.And I mean first thing before you really get going,as you may get caught out with "dawn phenomenon"
Then I test before each meal and then 1 hr and 2 hrs after last bite.You will soon see a pattern and be able to judge what you can tolerate.
Check out the "what have you eaten today thread" always good for ideas and remember any old conventions about what should be eaten together are over.I have some lets just say " interesting " combinations which are safe for me.

I hope your husband gets better soon.Don't let him be put off biking the best fun you can have with your clothes on!!
Hi, thanks for the advice, I was wondering what kind of schedule to use for testing. I should receive the meter in a few days. You mention Dawn Phenomenon, which reminds me of a previous blood test I had where the HbA1c was OK but the fasting glucose (taken in the morning of course) was too high. I was sent away with advice to lose weight, which of course has never happened... I'm curious to see what my highs and lows will be like.
Thanks for your good wishes: I'm not sure whether the injury has put my husband off learning to bike - I suppose we'll have to see how quickly his knee recovers. We don't know yet how bad the injury is.

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi, I'm not living in the UK so maybe it's not the same measurement system? I'm not sure how to make conversions, maybe someone more experienced can help?

Edit: oops, didn't see @Clivethedrive 's post!

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
The meter has just arrived (that was quick given I only ordered it on Saturday)! Too late for a morning reading, but I'll start with my next meal.

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Just did a test and got a pre-brekkie reading of 7.0 mmol. But that's on top of a coffee with cream (drunk before the parcel arrived). Will prepare a bowl of porridge now and test after...

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
@Rosbif
Congratulations on getting the meter. A 7.0 is a good start and nothing to be to worried about at this stage.
I would test each morning before eating and use this as your benchmark to see whether or not you are progressing. Post them so you can get some feedback.
To check on foods test just before you eat and 2 hours after to see how that meal affects you. If you do not get a big spike you probably don't need to test that meal again. If you do then you probably need to drop it from your diet. Ask as you go along

Well done

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
@Rosbif
Congratulations on getting the meter. A 7.0 is a good start and nothing to be to worried about at this stage.
I would test each morning before eating and use this as your benchmark to see whether or not you are progressing. Post them so you can get some feedback.
To check on foods test just before you eat and 2 hours after to see how that meal affects you. If you do not get a big spike you probably don't need to test that meal again. If you do then you probably need to drop it from your diet. Ask as you go along

Well done
Hi, thanks for your encouragement, it's really nice to read!
I've understood that the post-meal reading shouldn't be 2 mmols more than the pre-meal reading? Or I shouldn't go over 8.5 mmols? It's a great feeling to be in control though, even if the BS isn't controlled I do feel "in control", so that's a positive thing. I'll be going to see the doc Thursday morning, so will have 2 days worth of readings to show him. Better than nothing and it may convince him not to put me on medication, if that's what he usually does.

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Ok, just tested two hours after porridge with whole milk and a tablespoon of strawberry jam: 6.9 mmol. Wut?

Edit: saying that, I didn't change the lancet from the last time. I'll change it, just to be sure

Re-edit: lancet changed but still the same reading. I have a feeling that this is going to be an "interesting" series of experiments...

Last edited by a moderator:

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I've continued this on the Blood Glucose Monitoring forum, as I guess it's better there.

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I've continued this on the Blood Glucose Monitoring forum, as I guess it's better there.
Just been to the doc: he thinks I'm borderline. I have a HbA1c to do now and another in 3 months. In 3 months we'll see whether I'll be able to manage it myself with diet or whether treatment is required. Voilà. I showed him my readings and he didn't look massively alarmed.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Inclined to agree with him at this point but see how it goes. Drop the jam would be my first stop along the journey and then re test.