I've LOST it....

Amandamc2711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Diagnosed type 2 on 28th January I went full steam into LCHF which saw my bloods go from 92 to 46 which the doctor and I were excited about, but since May I can't keep it up. I'm really missing fruit and just eating a vast variety of different foods. I eat out a lot but often the menus don't lend to this way of eating and I'm not a big fan of meat. Every day I say I'm going to make a start but have failed by the end of the day. Really annoying... I think I'm living in denial , need a kick up the bottom. How do you keep this way up for the rest of your life?

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Amandamc2711 I appreciate you are T2, and this is not necessarily a cheap option, but for me, it was a huge eye opener. After 30 years of, quite frankly, terrible control of T1D, the thing that changed me was CGM (Dexcom).
Bare with me on this .... Have you considered purchasing a Libre (its much cheaper if its only going to be used short term) and wearing it for 4 weeks. It might just give you the full 20:20 vision of the impact different foods have on your blood sugars, and maybe even open your eyes to things you can eat, that you had discounted. At the end, I don't see why you can't sell the reader on to someone else so it's not completely throw-away/wasted. As a T1D, I cannot put a value on the information CGM has given me, and I am sure it would for you also. HtH, Paul

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am saving up for a Libre - they are £58 which is a lot of money to me.
I also miss fruit, but I understand berries are ok (with a little bit of stevia for sweetness and some double cream) so they are my sweet treat, but I do have a craving for sweetness. If you crave chocolate, cheese will NOT hit the spot. I know someone who mixes instant coffee granules with whipped cream and sweetener and eats it with a spoon - I don't think my system could cope with that, but she says it helps with the sweetness cravings.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat blueberries, rasberries with natural yogurt, i also make a chocolate mousse and have the berries on top. (Mousse is low carb no sugar as go for 90% cocoa)

I eat loads of salad! And make soups which are low carb ( look up metewem an algerian dish) i am always looking for new recipes, i make savoury muffins using almond flour so low carb. Still looking for a sugar alternative that tastes nice! Stevia is disgusting! It is hard as have a family of non lchf dieters who struggle to put on weight (i am total opposite). I have to cook several times a day... not only a meal for the family but also for myself.

Just an fyi we all screw up! I have an hba1c in august, i had my bloods in the 5s even after eating etc and then eid came (we dont have birthdays or christmas) i ate 3 french cakes bg went to 14.7 (but after a month of fasting it was ok) after an hour was down in the 6s then into the 4s.

Next day had pizza (lost count of how many slices) it took a week to get back down to the 6s... really shot myself in the foot! That was with low carbs! I am an extremely low carber any way! I am back into the 5s and back to fasting (i only eat once every 24 hours and drink between sun set and 3am) i was stupid and my bg kicked me and no one can kick me harder than myself (i went from 85 in april to 48 in june, if i am under 44 in august will be removed from register i know i will have to keep this up but i have it at bay and i can control it without meds and that is the main thing and what i need to focus on) remember all that hard work now to dust and will have to go throuogh it all again!

I almost forgot, when i am not fasting i chew the mentos sugar free fruit chewing gum! Also the berry tea (doesnt raise bs and now carbs!) I hope that helps in removing the urge... remember sugar is more addictive than heroin! You have done great going cold turkey and getting this far so give yourself credit where it is due, pick yourself up and start again with more determination... when we you eat something and break the diet with a no regret no guilt feeling... you will screw it up, but when you have the guilt and regret it will help you to not carry on as the good feeling is gone! Just need to reprogram your brain. Look at the good bg results you get and that should be enough to encourage you and replace the good feelings you used to get on the bad stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:

annscullamus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I so sympathise with you ! I can go for a week and eat perfectly LCHF and then as soon as I eat out, work away from home or am distracted I relapse into the old 'normal'. It is VERY hard for me to stick to it all the time, especially when all around you are not. Please try to keep calling in here and don't despair. I found a few LC treats I like and I have some every day, including sugar free jelly and cream, some salted peanuts, half an apple or some raspberries on which I sprinkle Xylitol which tastes like sugar but does not spike me. I have a very good and strong coffee and dark chocolate and sometimes I make mug cake and serve with cream. Cream helps enormously !!!! Good luck and keep smiling.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

JenniferG

I have been eating LCHF diet for 2 months, went out to the Chinese buffet the other day. Felt really full after 1 1/2 plates of food -- normally I could eat four (I'm like 27 stone). I just don't feel hungry these days and don't crave carbs for some reason. I loaded up the plate with meats, and veggies.. and some stir fry here and there that didn't look overly sugary or starchy. Blood sugar was normal when I check 2 hours later.

Are you sure you are getting enough fat in your low carb diet? I hear it's important to get enough or else you feel hungry?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you testing?

I don't make any personal commitment to low carbing.
Instead, I make a personal commitment to tracking my blood glucose.

Then, if I eat too many carbs and my blood glucose rises too high, it scares the whoopsies out of me, and I climb back on the low carb wagon with no effort at all.
:D

Of course, it helps if you have done the reading that tells you what happens to your body when your blood glucose gets too high...
I recommend www.bloodsugar101.com (the whole site is excellent)
and if you REALLY want a kick up the bum, a few googles of diabetic ulcer pics, and foot amputations will do it. Also, of course, a bit of speculation as to what will happen if you go blind...

I'm not mentioning these things in an effort to scare you. I say this because this is what I use to scare myself.