I've lost the will..

milesrf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
spammers, off topic posters, side effects of a stroke
Yes we have Quorn in the freezer. Quite a few burgers. Read somewhere they were quite high in carbs so have avoided eating them. Perhaps I should revisit...after we eat the 12 pork chops sitting in our fridge.

I just feel run down and overwhelmed again. Don't see progress because its so unenjoyable.
The way I handle burgers is to discard the buns, since they contain most of the carbs, then eat the rest.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Patrick I am the last person on this Earth that should give advice, if I had a superpower I would be "Foot in Mouth Man", but you seem to be going through a really low point at the moment and I think most of us on here at some time have gone through what you are going through now it's a "for life" thing mate and it can be tough, but you seem to be smashing it, on the clothes front I don't know what to say, if you can't do the charity shops, (I do now) then Tesco's or Asda have some good stuff it might not be Saville Row but at least they might fit.
On the food front mate, maybe you need to spice things up a little, I hunt the tinterweb for simple low carb or just healthy (keywords) recipes...if it's not simple it ain't being done, there's not much I cook now that doesn't have some unpronounceable substance in it but you can certainly taste it, the wife wouldn't eat it but more for me.
Finally, looking at your BG readings and your hba1c results that are tumbling, keep that up and your horrible metformin dose could well be reduced, and as for the here and now if you're feeling that low have a blowout, just something you really fancy mate, have it and then draw a line under it and get back on the horse so to speak, hot cross buns are my nemesis, I buy them for my grandkids but often sneak one or two in a fit of anti-diabetic sabotage, it bangs my BG up a few notches for a little while but I know enough now how to right the wrongs so to speak.
So Patrick all in all don't be so down, look hard for that light at the end of the tunnel it might not be a train coming, count your blessings and give your loved ones a hug, you can do this, you have been doing this, and doing it well.
Good luck.
Very kind of you, thanks.

I’m one of those strangely shaped people when it comes to clothes. Long body, broad shoulders, very long arms. So need XL or XXL, depending upon make, for sleeve length but then L for body width and XXL fit for length.
My other half goes loopy at my clothes being half way up my back or two inches short in my arms.
I was wearing 38” waist jeans. Got a pair of 36”, still much too big so thought 34” easy, tried them on and they came up two inches too short!
So that should make 36” right...but they’re two inches too big...
And I hate trying on clothes lol.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You need an infinitely adjustable belt. Holes are so last century :D
Do you know Jim, you are absolutely right!.
Been looking for one but the only ones round here are so wide I can’t fit them through the loops on my jeans!
Will have to check online...as usual.
Cheers!.

M

Member496333

Do you know Jim, you are absolutely right!.
Been looking for one but the only ones round here are so wide I can’t fit them through the loops on my jeans!
Will have to check online...as usual.
Cheers!.

Man, you’re a catastrophe. Can’t even find a belt that fits. Have you considered a length of rope? :D

Just kidding. Injecting some good-willed humour to lighten your mood. Don’t take offence :playful:

Edited by mod

Last edited by a moderator:

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Man, you’re a catastrophe. Can’t even find a belt that fits. Have you considered a length of rope? :D

Just kidding. Injecting some good-willed humour to lighten your mood. Don’t take offence :playful:
No offence taken Jim.

It’s where I live. They don’t cater for long tall people who are oddly shaped!

Edited by mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I had a sweet tooth so that’s not helped.

Potatoes, mash, chips, a biscuit with my tea, a pizza, a fish finger sandwich...lots of things.
Biscuits and pizza are definitely doable low carb albeit not identical. For pizza the fat head dough recipes work pretty well and there cauliflower bases too but haven’t tried them. Biscuits ive tried so far are a bit shortbread like. The main ingredients that are different are almond flour (use ground almonds available in most supermarkets including Lidl) or maybe coconut flour which I get in Sainsbury’s. Both also available on amazon along with safe sweetener like erythritol or xylitol. (Xylitol is the closest to sugar imo but highly toxic to dogs).

Have you considered the lack of interest in food is more about the depression than the food? A symptom rather than a cause? A focus? Would changing the foods actually change things emotionally? If so maybe you need to reconsider medications and just do as much low carb as you can cope with, at least for now not necessarily forever, until the other stressful aspects of your life allow you to revisit this diet.

As for the anhedonia, isn’t that a classic symptom of depression rather than necessarily a separate issue? I watched my dad have a life long struggle with deep depression, Ive always had some degree of it, sometimes deeply, other times less so. You have had and continue to have other medical issues to compound those feelings and I feel deeply for you. You do seem to be doing fantastically well on the blood and weight control despite the depression and that’s no mean feat at all.

My asd family get very fixed ideas about how they feel about issues (tastes, textures, thought patterns, what’s good/bad) and it’s incredibly hard to shift that. But not impossible. Logically and repeatedly reinforcing the new concept can undo the old given enough repetition. For the record lots of us hate and resent the changes we have had to make and have had to give up stuff we love and learn to accept new things we didn’t want to. Sometimes we adapt quickly sometimes not. Sometimes we swing back and forth between hating it all and loving the new us. It’s not exclusive to any type of mind.

You do have the power to change things you never thought you could. You’ve proved yourself strong enough to hold on and resilient enough to keep trying.

manion

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
The last couple of days have just been too hard.

Food has become a major issue because my taste buds just don't seem to be making anything taste nice at all.

I am struggling with everything. Nothing I eat, and I do mean nothing, tastes nice.

I seem to be going round in circles. No time nor energy to cook anything, problems at home, fed up at work and whether I fast or not seems, right now, to be immaterial.
I ate salad yesterday. Full of leafy greens and tomatoes that tasted bitter and vile. Went home to cook pork chops, tasteless. Had some strawberries, watery.
I'm tired. Tired of the diet. Tired of the restrictions. I try variety but it all tastes the same. Cant face breakfast and even my early morning cuppa, after a sip to take my meds, goes undrunk.
I've lost 24 lb now. My clothes don't fit. People comment on my shirts being baggy and hanging off. My trousers, even three inches smaller round the waist, are too big. Now I feel I just look silly and I cant afford to constantly replace clothes which are, almost all, now too big.

I look at recipes but half the stuff we need I cant find or, for reasons I cannot quite understand, cost exorbitant prices. It just feels like one thing after another and I am so tired and depressed by this.

I thought it would get easier.

But its got harder and I have lost the will to carry on.

Hi
It is grim when everything you eat doesn't taste good or doesn't satiate but there are lots of good sites out there with tasty low carb recipes, ive listed a few, don't be put off by some of the ingredients and you will find the name is odd but the ingredients is readily available i.e i didn't realise green onions are spring onions and provolone is smoke cheese. I have added a few sites below.

www.delish.com (pick through the site there are some crackers)

https://tasty.co/topic/low-carb-meals

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/low-carbohydrate-recipes

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/g3593/low-carb-recipes/?slide=1

https://uk.atkins.com/get-inspired/recipes/

Obviously these site need picking through but there are some really tasty cracking recipes that are easy and quick - hope this helps in some way for you to get your love of food back.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi
It is grim when everything you eat doesn't taste good or doesn't satiate but there are lots of good sites out there with tasty low carb recipes, ive listed a few, don't be put off by some of the ingredients and you will find the name is odd but the ingredients is readily available i.e i didn't realise green onions are spring onions and provolone is smoke cheese. I have added a few sites below.

www.delish.com (pick through the site there are some crackers)

https://tasty.co/topic/low-carb-meals

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/low-carbohydrate-recipes

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/g3593/low-carb-recipes/?slide=1

https://uk.atkins.com/get-inspired/recipes/

Obviously these site need picking through but there are some really tasty cracking recipes that are easy and quick - hope this helps in some way for you to get your love of food back.
That is very kind. Thank you.

Andyy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other

Food has become a major issue because my taste buds just don't seem to be making anything taste nice at all.

I am struggling with everything. Nothing I eat, and I do mean nothing, tastes nice.

I seem to be going round in circles. No time nor energy to cook anything, problems at home, fed up at work and whether I fast or not seems, right now, to be immaterial.
I ate salad yesterday. Full of leafy greens and tomatoes that tasted bitter and vile. Went home to cook pork chops, tasteless. Had some strawberries, watery.
I'm tired. Tired of the diet. Tired of the restrictions. I try variety but it all tastes the same. Cant face breakfast and even my early morning cuppa, after a sip to take my meds, goes undrunk.
I've lost 24 lb now. My clothes don't fit. People comment on my shirts being baggy and hanging off. My trousers, even three inches smaller round the waist, are too big. Now I feel I just look silly and I cant afford to constantly replace clothes which are, almost all, now too big.

I look at recipes but half the stuff we need I cant find or, for reasons I cannot quite understand, cost exorbitant prices. It just feels like one thing after another and I am so tired and depressed by this.

Andyy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Thank you.

Unfortunately I am very uncomfortable with spice. My better half finds it most amusing that I can travel to India and avoid eating anything spicy whilst I ma there. I just don't cope with the flavours.

But onion and pepper are fine.

Hi buddy... life is ****.. if been t2 for 5 years which came out of the blue.. getting used to the meds the diets is hard.. BUT doing all the right things you are doing will pay off.. same with me.. have lost weight.. changed my diet but the one thing that helps me put it in to perspective is to reward your self with something small once a week.
What l do is treat myself with a meal l miss if l wasn't t2.. now a lot of you will be thinking no..no.. BUT have a treat feel good then burn it off.
So l eat.. watch my bloods then 2hrs later get rid of it.. long walk or bit of exercise. And afterwards l feel good and l do that once a week and it gives me something to look forward to. Being diabetic type 1 or 2 is not fun but doing this give me something to look forward to.. BUT you must burn it off thats the key.. you feel better in yourself breaking free just for a few hours and hopefully put a smile on your face even if it's only for a short while.
Keep going you're doing well pat yourself on the back :)

BigIain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Carbs

Sounds like you are going through the ringer!

Do something that you do enjoy, remind yourself what your goals are. Make a smaller really achievable goal.

You say you've lost 24lb.. 4 more and it's 2 stone...

I sold my clothes that were too big on eBay. 4 pairs of jeans sold for £5 each... get a new pair for free(!).

Good luck... remember why you are on this journey... you will get there. It will take a while and there will be more bumps in the road.

alan_diggers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Patrick. Please don't despair. I have the same issues and eating is just a ritual and exercises for the jaw for me.
Celebrate your weight loss and buy clothes from a charity shop. There's nothing taboo about it. You're helping a charity, saving money and reducing waste by recycling clothes.

Reactions: Patrick66

Beckstar88

I know how your feeling, the demands of diabetes are undoubtedly trying for us all. It's hard adjusting and getting used to the whole routine. I've been diagnosed with type 1 for 3 weeks, lost 20lb and cried and cried because of everything. From food changes to Injections to complications its a mind field and over whelming. But you can be happy. Don't let diabetes control you and your emotions, You stay in control, be brave and be strong we're all here for each other. I look at positive mindset quotes every morning before I get out of bed, and it certainly helps the way I feel. Xxx sending hugs xxx

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Well I had a sweet tooth so that’s not helped.

Potatoes, mash, chips, a biscuit with my tea, a pizza, a fish finger sandwich...lots of things.
Hi Patrick, sorry you are struggling so much. it is tough, and the this is for life thing hits us all sooner or later.
You said you like potatoes: I may have an answer for that.
Have you tried pre-cooking and reheating them? Apparently cooking, cooling and reheating changes the starch in some way so that it produces less of a BG spike. Its called resistant starch.
There are some posts on here about it. Try a search for more details.
Try boiling some and roasting a couple the next day. See how this affects BG. Of course you still cant eat a plateful - but some is better than none.
Hope this suggestion helps. you have done so well, with all you different problems, please dont give up now.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
The way I handle burgers is to discard the buns, since they contain most of the carbs, then eat the rest.
SOME burgers can be high in carbs, if there is rusk or breadcrumbs in them. You need to read the ingredients list on your packets. There might be a nice surprise for you.

Reactions: Patrick66

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Patrick. Please don't despair. I have the same issues and eating is just a ritual and exercises for the jaw for me.
Celebrate your weight loss and buy clothes from a charity shop. There's nothing taboo about it. You're helping a charity, saving money and reducing waste by recycling clothes.
I am but I am Autistic. I cant wear clothes that someone else has worn. Just one of my "things". I give stuff to charity but can't buy from one.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
SOME burgers can be high in carbs, if there is rusk or breadcrumbs in them. You need to read the ingredients list on your packets. There might be a nice surprise for you.
Or better still, make your own from mince with a bit of onion.

We always have mince floating about. It magically appears in our fridge.