I've lost the will..

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
The last couple of days have just been too hard.

Food has become a major issue because my taste buds just don't seem to be making anything taste nice at all.

I am struggling with everything. Nothing I eat, and I do mean nothing, tastes nice.

I seem to be going round in circles. No time nor energy to cook anything, problems at home, fed up at work and whether I fast or not seems, right now, to be immaterial.
I ate salad yesterday. Full of leafy greens and tomatoes that tasted bitter and vile. Went home to cook pork chops, tasteless. Had some strawberries, watery.
I'm tired. Tired of the diet. Tired of the restrictions. I try variety but it all tastes the same. Cant face breakfast and even my early morning cuppa, after a sip to take my meds, goes undrunk.
I've lost 24 lb now. My clothes don't fit. People comment on my shirts being baggy and hanging off. My trousers, even three inches smaller round the waist, are too big. Now I feel I just look silly and I cant afford to constantly replace clothes which are, almost all, now too big.

I look at recipes but half the stuff we need I cant find or, for reasons I cannot quite understand, cost exorbitant prices. It just feels like one thing after another and I am so tired and depressed by this.

I thought it would get easier.

But its got harder and I have lost the will to carry on.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Patrick

One of the side effects of Metformin, for some people, is that their sense of taste is affected.
Obviously, I have no idea if this is happening for you, but it is a possibility.
You could suggest to your doc coming off the drug for a while to see if your sense of taste returns to normal.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@Patrick66 Sounds like your doing an amazing job, just an observational thing from what you ate yesterday, there isn't much fat in that, can you increase your fat intake to help with your energy levels. When you have some time have a look at dietdoctor for inspiration. Also if you need new clothes would it matter if they were bought from a charity shop ? Most stuff there is in good nick and after a good wash no one would know they are second hand, also you wouldn't feel so bad in passing them on again if you lost more weight.

Reactions: Ponchu and DJC3

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff

Food has become a major issue because my taste buds just don't seem to be making anything taste nice at all.

I am struggling with everything. Nothing I eat, and I do mean nothing, tastes nice.

I seem to be going round in circles. No time nor energy to cook anything, problems at home, fed up at work and whether I fast or not seems, right now, to be immaterial.
I ate salad yesterday. Full of leafy greens and tomatoes that tasted bitter and vile. Went home to cook pork chops, tasteless. Had some strawberries, watery.
I'm tired. Tired of the diet. Tired of the restrictions. I try variety but it all tastes the same. Cant face breakfast and even my early morning cuppa, after a sip to take my meds, goes undrunk.
I've lost 24 lb now. My clothes don't fit. People comment on my shirts being baggy and hanging off. My trousers, even three inches smaller round the waist, are too big. Now I feel I just look silly and I cant afford to constantly replace clothes which are, almost all, now too big.

I look at recipes but half the stuff we need I cant find or, for reasons I cannot quite understand, cost exorbitant prices. It just feels like one thing after another and I am so tired and depressed by this.

Exactly how I felt. So I took it upon myself to half my metformin. I take two in the morning and I can now eat again. I don’t feel sick anymore. Maybe try it and see what happens?

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Patrick66 I would go with what @juicyi suggested, a good shot of fats, cheese, something cooked in loads of double cream, eggs in any form, get the fat in. :)
I can only get trousers that fit me in second hand shops... big shops seem not to do 30 waists any more.... :banghead:

For about three months running up to Christmas my sense of taste went... I even stopped drinking red wine as there was not much point. Not too sure why but it did pass and now... small glass (140ml) of red most nights before heading off to the land of nod.
Wish you well.

Reactions: jpscloud

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Patrick.

I kind of know what you mean. I've been doing the low carb diet and have found it to be more expensive. The local supermarket has a very limited range of low carb anything. The only LCHF snack I can find is sliced cheese. Even beef jerky is low fat. What the hell! Its even more expensive at the farmer market, but the veg tastes so much better, so I think the supermarket veg and meat has lost its flavor in the factory production processes used nowadays. No answers there other than I can commiserate.

I have lost weight, about 4 inches on my belt, and all my clothes hang, but I dont care. It's a reminder that I'm winning the battle.

Recipes with exotic unobtainable over priced ingredients get me too. I often substitue or leave them out. All I can do as I live in a rural town that thinks MacDonalds is fine cuisine. So many things are unavailable or crazy priced; let em go and use something else. Maybe grow your own, we do that for Tuscan kale as I dont like regular kale.

The diet gets frustrating and I suppose it can get you down. But I read your posts and I see that your winning and getting closer to your target weight. Try and let the lows pass you by and the highs pump you up. Sometimes its just a matter of deciding not to get upset about something that saves a day and lets you move on.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Patrick

One of the side effects of Metformin, for some people, is that their sense of taste is affected.
Obviously, I have no idea if this is happening for you, but it is a possibility.
You could suggest to your doc coming off the drug for a while to see if your sense of taste returns to normal.

Unfortunately Metformin is just one of seven or eight drugs I have to take. Change of taste sensation seems to be a side effect in at least five of them. :arghh:

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Patrick66 Sounds like your doing an amazing job, just an observational thing from what you ate yesterday, there isn't much fat in that, can you increase your fat intake to help with your energy levels. When you have some time have a look at dietdoctor for inspiration. Also if you need new clothes would it matter if they were bought from a charity shop ? Most stuff there is in good nick and after a good wash no one would know they are second hand, also you wouldn't feel so bad in passing them on again if you lost more weight.
Thank you but no, I can't buy from charity shops. Its something I really struggle with but, being Autistic, I have to wear clothes that nobody else has worn first.

I have looked at diet doctor and taken some recipes but cant get hold of some ingredients..or the cost is prohibitive.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was taking metformin it almost totally took my appetite and taste away and I was eating so little I was loosing weight that I did not need to as I have always been slim.. It changed the taste of food for me and I could not eat meat of any description. My doctor told me to reduce the dose of metformin until I was eating properly again it took down to one tablet a day before I was eating almost normally again but I was taken off of it altogether after a while. The lasting effect this had on me is that I can no longer eat red meat including bacon, mince and sausages never been able to face it again so I stick to chicken and fish now and I eat quite a bit of Quorn instead of the red meat and some vegetarian and vegan foods...the burgers are nice... just for a bit of variety

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exactly how I felt. So I took it upon myself to half my metformin. I take two in the morning and I can now eat again. I don’t feel sick anymore. Maybe try it and see what happens?
Wouldn't change anything without my doctors advice. And given that eh views me as unreliable when it comes to a steady HbA1c reading he would want to change meds or increase dosages. I don't feel sick as such although seven or eight tablets vying for attention in my tummy isn't exactly pleasant.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Patrick66 I would go with what @juicyi suggested, a good shot of fats, cheese, something cooked in loads of double cream, eggs in any form, get the fat in. :)
I can only get trousers that fit me in second hand shops... big shops seem not to do 30 waists any more.... :banghead:

For about three months running up to Christmas my sense of taste went... I even stopped drinking red wine as there was not much point. Not too sure why but it did pass and now... small glass (140ml) of red most nights before heading off to the land of nod.
Wish you well.
I eat cheese, eat eggs, the pork chops had plenty of fat...but..

Thank you.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Patrick.

I kind of know what you mean. I've been doing the low carb diet and have found it to be more expensive. The local supermarket has a very limited range of low carb anything. The only LCHF snack I can find is sliced cheese. Even beef jerky is low fat. What the hell! Its even more expensive at the farmer market, but the veg tastes so much better, so I think the supermarket veg and meat has lost its flavor in the factory production processes used nowadays. No answers there other than I can commiserate.

I have lost weight, about 4 inches on my belt, and all my clothes hang, but I dont care. It's a reminder that I'm winning the battle.

Recipes with exotic unobtainable over priced ingredients get me too. I often substitue or leave them out. All I can do as I live in a rural town that thinks MacDonalds is fine cuisine. So many things are unavailable or crazy priced; let em go and use something else. Maybe grow your own, we do that for Tuscan kale as I dont like regular kale.

The diet gets frustrating and I suppose it can get you down. But I read your posts and I see that your winning and getting closer to your target weight. Try and let the lows pass you by and the highs pump you up. Sometimes its just a matter of deciding not to get upset about something that saves a day and lets you move on.
Thank you.

I'm just overwhelmed by lows from all sides right now. At home, at work and in my diet.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When I was taking metformin it almost totally took my appetite and taste away and I was eating so little I was loosing weight that I did not need to as I have always been slim.. It changed the taste of food for me and I could not eat meat of any description. My doctor told me to reduce the dose of metformin until I was eating properly again it took down to one tablet a day before I was eating almost normally again but I was taken off of it altogether after a while. The lasting effect this had on me is that I can no longer eat red meat including bacon, mince and sausages never been able to face it again so I stick to chicken and fish now and I eat quite a bit of Quorn instead of the red meat and some vegetarian and vegan foods...the burgers are nice... just for a bit of variety
Yes we have Quorn in the freezer. Quite a few burgers. Read somewhere they were quite high in carbs so have avoided eating them. Perhaps I should revisit...after we eat the 12 pork chops sitting in our fridge.

I just feel run down and overwhelmed again. Don't see progress because its so unenjoyable.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Keto or low carb meals don't have to be expensive I cooked burgers in a creamy tomato sauce last night burgers £2.50, cream £1.20 and something like 60p for tomato puree and £1.00 for trimmed green beans sauteed as a side. all from local co-op low carb tasty and cheap fed three of us amply.

I do hope things improve for you it's hard even if you don't have other issues to contend with.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Our shopping is no more expensive. Just different.
Cooking real food give all the nutrient benefits and the increased raw material cost is profoundly trounced by the smaller portions you need. Factor in the junk your not buying your even better off.

I have to buy from the Internet for my clothes now (28 waist) it's a bit of a chore but I can pick from any fashion I like. Once that male atypical pot has gone the years fall off you. They really do.

I have no idea what the drugs do or how they feel. Nor autism I'm afraid. Can only offer a shoulder for those.

Reactions: Serena51

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I lost 25 kilos a few years ago, just trying to get fit ( before Diabetes) and even though I was just on a diet, my sense of taste went completely, things I craved before the diet were a complete turn off. I went to spicier foods which gave a real kick, even if it was a sauce to add to a normal meal. It worked, but as I started creeping back up with the weight, the old taste buds returned. One of the pros of weight loss was being able to use normal shops rather than jacamo lol. Hopefully you can get your mojo back and find something that improves life for you

Reactions: Serena51

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

It sounds like the weight loss is a big success, @Patrick66

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont know if you like a bit of spice Patrick but you could get a jar of garam masala (£1 most supermarket own brands) mix a flat teaspoon ful with a teaspoon of oil slowly fry for a couple of mins to release the aromas and then either add meat to the pan or spread it on meat for the oven. That will be a mild amount but if you like it you can scale up. Similarly home grown herbs chopped with a little oil make a sort of pesto, add in some finely chopped shallot/onion/pepper and will liven up any meat or fish.