IVF and trying to conceive

Soapsuds86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As I'm type 1, I'm already on an insulin pump n had to increase the basal dosage by half.
I didn't eat that much at all when going through ivf but this was more to do with that I was too bloated to eat to be fair. I was too bloated to drink too. Exercise was just a complete no no. It hurt to even walk!

Can u keep in contact with Ur nurse over to phone to adjust ur changes as you start medication?

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah, that's what I fear, that the drugs, as they affect your whole endocrine system, will play havocs with BG's... I don't fancy to be back in the 20's...

Hopefully your diabetes team will be prepared for any rise and have a plan to deal with it. Everyone reacts slightly differently so its just a question of monitoring and keeping things in range.

It did stress me out, but I thought of it as good practice for pregnancy, when sugars can go up a lot as you become more insulin resistant. Because I'd had that rise from the IVF drugs, I didn't panic so much when my sugars rose during my pregnancy as I felt more prepared in dealing with them.

Pooja80

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ,
With only metformin my fasting used to come 6-7 , and
My endo wanted it should less than 5.3 , so he started small dosage of insulin with it . I did not reduce too much of carb but my diet was pretty balanced , veggies , carb , protein ... Limited my coffee n tea intake as well ....

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hopefully your diabetes team will be prepared for any rise and have a plan to deal with it. Everyone reacts slightly differently so its just a question of monitoring and keeping things in range.

It did stress me out, but I thought of it as good practice for pregnancy, when sugars can go up a lot as you become more insulin resistant. Because I'd had that rise from the IVF drugs, I didn't panic so much when my sugars rose during my pregnancy as I felt more prepared in dealing with them.

Scary, scary... but there's no option... I didn't know pregnancy makes you more insulin resistant ( I am already insulin resistant enough :S )

I wonder if keeping it really really low carb would actually make a difference. It brings my BG's to the 4's so lets hope that works. In the mean time, I have to lose some weight... aaaannnnnd breaaaaathhhhhh :)

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I'm type 1, I'm already on an insulin pump n had to increase the basal dosage by half.
I didn't eat that much at all when going through ivf but this was more to do with that I was too bloated to eat to be fair. I was too bloated to drink too. Exercise was just a complete no no. It hurt to even walk!

Can u keep in contact with Ur nurse over to phone to adjust ur changes as you start medication?

I will have my annual review soon and that is when I will inform them of our decision to go forward with the fertility treatment, all I need is the right BMI now to start treatment. I guess the right BMI and the right hba1c...

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Scary, scary... but there's no option... I didn't know pregnancy makes you more insulin resistant ( I am already insulin resistant enough :S )

I wonder if keeping it really really low carb would actually make a difference. It brings my BG's to the 4's so lets hope that works. In the mean time, I have to lose some weight... aaaannnnnd breaaaaathhhhhh :)

Insulin resistance normally happens towards the second half of pregnancy. I think mine started at around 18 weeks, but I can't remember for sure. I had to increase my insulin doses.

I'd check with your consultant about the best amount of carbs for you to have in pregnancy. There's a thread here about that somewhere if you want to have a read sometime.

Yes, breathe :) I'm sure you can do it. Keeping calm is a great start, and whatever you have to do just deal with it by taking one step at a time.

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Hi all! Just wanted to say hi really - I am a Type 1 diabetic for almost 36 years already and have just had my embryo transfer for my 2nd IVF cycle.
Hubby and I were trying for ages and everybody always blamed my weight until I got the referral to our IVF clinic (I had to lose 2.5std to get there) and then it turned out I have a low ovarian reserve :-(. First cycle started very quickly after our first IVF appointment and we got 5 eggs of which 4 fertilised and I had 1 blast transferred. It was amazing seeing the two lines for the first time. It unfortunately ended in a miscarriage at 6 weeks.
Just today I had a 3 day transfer. It took me a while to be able to think about another cycle again as I was absolutely devastated. Not sure if my issues conceiving are related to my diabetes but the low ovarian reserve might well be as I have found out a while ago. I wish everybody good luck and hopefully we'll see a few BFPs on here soon! xx

Soapsuds86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all! Just wanted to say hi really - I am a Type 1 diabetic for almost 36 years already and have just had my embryo transfer for my 2nd IVF cycle.
Hubby and I were trying for ages and everybody always blamed my weight until I got the referral to our IVF clinic (I had to lose 2.5std to get there) and then it turned out I have a low ovarian reserve :-(. First cycle started very quickly after our first IVF appointment and we got 5 eggs of which 4 fertilised and I had 1 blast transferred. It was amazing seeing the two lines for the first time. It unfortunately ended in a miscarriage at 6 weeks.
Just today I had a 3 day transfer. It took me a while to be able to think about another cycle again as I was absolutely devastated. Not sure if my issues conceiving are related to my diabetes but the low ovarian reserve might well be as I have found out a while ago. I wish everybody good luck and hopefully we'll see a few BFPs on here soon! xx

Hi
how are you feeling? Absolutely everything crossed for your bfp!!
Sorry to hear about Ur first cycle. That's devastating. Everything crossed!

I'm still waiting to find out why mine didn't work. Got an appointment on Tuesday. Will be 6 weeks since it failed!! I Just think that's too long to talk to the doctor, even if they don't have reasons why it didn't work.
Although I had the report through the post which says I have a blocked tube, a heart shaped uterus and my left ovary is high up and hidden behind my bowel ( this I did know ). Now I don't know what to think. I wasn't told any of this and I'm feeling let down my my ivf clinic. Surely they need to tell me this stuff? They just said everything us as it should be so why would u question it?

Had a **** day today. Woke up at 20.4!! This NEVER happens! Not sure if cos of canula insert or cos I ate a cornetto after tea, although I did take insulin for it. Felt **** all morning cos of it. For a second or teo my eyesight went but may be cos i got up too quickly.No ketones and sugars finally stabilised again.until I disconnected to have a bath and glass of wine should have took insulin before that. Never mind.live and learn.

Give me an update as to how you get on!! Really wish u all the best luck x

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
how are you feeling? Absolutely everything crossed for your bfp!!
Sorry to hear about Ur first cycle. That's devastating. Everything crossed!

I'm still waiting to find out why mine didn't work. Got an appointment on Tuesday. Will be 6 weeks since it failed!! I Just think that's too long to talk to the doctor, even if they don't have reasons why it didn't work.
Although I had the report through the post which says I have a blocked tube, a heart shaped uterus and my left ovary is high up and hidden behind my bowel ( this I did know ). Now I don't know what to think. I wasn't told any of this and I'm feeling let down my my ivf clinic. Surely they need to tell me this stuff? They just said everything us as it should be so why would u question it?

Had a **** day today. Woke up at 20.4!! This NEVER happens! Not sure if cos of canula insert or cos I ate a cornetto after tea, although I did take insulin for it. Felt **** all morning cos of it. For a second or teo my eyesight went but may be cos i got up too quickly.No ketones and sugars finally stabilised again.until I disconnected to have a bath and glass of wine should have took insulin before that. Never mind.live and learn.

Give me an update as to how you get on!! Really wish u all the best luck x

Hope you have a better weekend then :D

nicolarse01

Hi, I don't mean to butt in but I have had 3 children and am a type 1 diabetic. My consultants advised me to have my blood sugars perfect (between 4.0 and 7.0 with 5.4 and lower being the optimum) for 3 months before attempting pregnancy. I was struggling to conceive my second child (15months trying) but as soon as I got my blood sugars to within that range pretty much constantly, I fell pregnant within the week and following the previous advice conceived my 3rd child very quickly after starting to try.

Try your hardest to keep your bloodsugars very, very controlled and it might help....wishing you all the best for the future x x

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I don't mean to butt in but I have had 3 children and am a type 1 diabetic. My consultants advised me to have my blood sugars perfect (between 4.0 and 7.0 with 5.4 and lower being the optimum) for 3 months before attempting pregnancy. I was struggling to conceive my second child (15months trying) but as soon as I got my blood sugars to within that range pretty much constantly, I fell pregnant within the week and following the previous advice conceived my 3rd child very quickly after starting to try.

Try your hardest to keep your bloodsugars very, very controlled and it might help....wishing you all the best for the future x x

I'm a type 2... the only way I can achieve those lower numbers is by eating less than 30grms of carbs a day... but it makes sense

Soapsuds86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is interesting because after maintaining my levels for 4 years, I've had nothing. I was advised on similar levels yet when my hba1c came back at 5.0% , I was told this I'd tge lowest ever seen and tgat I need to up my levels slightly. At the time ( and now ) my blood pressure goes so low too. I've had my cortisol levels tested and they've said that is ok.
I think I'm on a burnout atm. Waiting for the clinic, waiting to see diabetic nurse and got issues at work I'm waiting for a responce from relating to my diabetic care ( but that's for a different thread ). Just completely fed up!

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is interesting because after maintaining my levels for 4 years, I've had nothing. I was advised on similar levels yet when my hba1c came back at 5.0% , I was told this I'd tge lowest ever seen and tgat I need to up my levels slightly. At the time ( and now ) my blood pressure goes so low too. I've had my cortisol levels tested and they've said that is ok.
I think I'm on a burnout atm. Waiting for the clinic, waiting to see diabetic nurse and got issues at work I'm waiting for a responce from relating to my diabetic care ( but that's for a different thread ). Just completely fed up!

Well, somehow, I guess, it might be better anyway to have the BG in that range rather than not... but as IVF is concerned I guess we don't have any guarantees... sigh... :(

Reactions: 3 people

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Thanks, I'm feeling fine - no different to before my transfer so we'll see what happens.

Re-blood sugars: I also think the closer you are to non-diabetic levels the better, not just for IVF and ttc but generally.

If you're really not happy with your clinic do you have the possibility to change clinics? I guess they should have told you when there were things that might make it difficult like blocked tube etc - You have to be happy with your clinic and trust the staff there otherwise I can imagine cycling is difficult. I don't know what clinic you're at, if you want to PM me to have a chat feel free to do that :)

Soapsuds86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How is it going @Soapsuds86? How are you feeling?

I'm feeling better than I was, thank you. Had my ivf appointment on Tuesday. Not as doom and gloom as I first thought. I've got a 3d scan on Tues to check my heart shaped uterus to check it over and to see if tube is fully blocked or could just be some excess fluid. The heart shape won't stop me from getting pregnant and shouldn't effect things ( despite seeing different online ). I'll have a uterus scratch too to help the embryo stick. If all ok then I'm good to have another round of ivf
going to diabetic clinic next week too so get hba1c checked n double check anything I need to adjust. Got a bit more energy since appointment.
how's things with you??

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm feeling better than I was, thank you. Had my ivf appointment on Tuesday. Not as doom and gloom as I first thought. I've got a 3d scan on Tues to check my heart shaped uterus to check it over and to see if tube is fully blocked or could just be some excess fluid. The heart shape won't stop me from getting pregnant and shouldn't effect things ( despite seeing different online ). I'll have a uterus scratch too to help the embryo stick. If all ok then I'm good to have another round of ivf
going to diabetic clinic next week too so get hba1c checked n double check anything I need to adjust. Got a bit more energy since appointment.
how's things with you??

:)

I'm glad to hear everything is looking up for you, it really helps to hear good news. I hope that your diabetic side of the matter is all good as well. I am ok, dieting and trying to bring the weight down and feeling a bit down about it, but sticking to the diet, so lets see how it goes, I really would like to see this weight come off fast... but I have the feeling it won't happen as fast as I would like it to...sigh..

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Good luck with your IVF treatment, Soapsuds, and anyone else who is trying to conceive.

I have endometriosis and I haven't wanted children so I never found out if I was fertile or not. A lot of women with endometriosis have trouble conceiving, but with treatment many women do have children. So I just wanted to pop in and mention this condition for the benefit of anyone reading this thread, as it can be hard to diagnose and treat, and this can impact on fertility.

It's something I imagine the doctors check for before starting IVF? I don't really know, tbh. A friend of mine was trying to conceive naturally and not having any luck, so I asked her about endometriosis... it turned out she did have it, and she got treatment and went on Clomid, and now has two children. I am not sure if she would have found out about it in time if I hadn't mentioned it. Many doctors are not proactive enough in considering this diagnosis, and as you will be aware, the clock is ticking. The longer endometriosis goes undiagnosed, the harder it may be to conceive.

If a woman has endometriosis, then it is usually best to have the deposits removed and any scar tissue that may be distorting the position of the pelvic organs dealt with too. After surgery there is a window of time where the chance of conceiving and having a successful pregnancy are higher. Once the deposits start growing again it can lead to scar tissue formation and the organs can stick to each other and make conception and pregnancy difficult. If there is scar tissue present it can increase discomfort and pain during pregnancy, but the woman and the baby are still healthy and things go ok.

I hope this info helps someone and if you want to know more about endometriosis please ask, and I can link you to some resources about it.

Soapsuds86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
:)

I'm glad to hear everything is looking up for you, it really helps to hear good news. I hope that your diabetic side of the matter is all good as well. I am ok, dieting and trying to bring the weight down and feeling a bit down about it, but sticking to the diet, so lets see how it goes, I really would like to see this weight come off fast... but I have the feeling it won't happen as fast as I would like it to...sigh..

Hey, how's the dieting going? Hope it's going well.
Had my hba1c done today and got 6.0% so still keeping it low.
Only downside is my sugars run at 3mmol from about 8 on the morning till around 2 in the afternoon, so I have to reduce my basal but she said not to worry if hba1c climb a little bit.
Also had acupuncture today. Wow!! I feel amazing. I'm so relaxed. I completely zoned out. Had to wait at reception for about 15 mins before leaving cos I was do dizzy my hubby wondered where I had gone cos so relaxed. Booked again for next week. Two days after scratch. Feeling excited now! ☺

Reactions: 3 people

Soapsuds86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good luck with your IVF treatment, Soapsuds, and anyone else who is trying to conceive.

I have endometriosis and I haven't wanted children so I never found out if I was fertile or not. A lot of women with endometriosis have trouble conceiving, but with treatment many women do have children. So I just wanted to pop in and mention this condition for the benefit of anyone reading this thread, as it can be hard to diagnose and treat, and this can impact on fertility.

It's something I imagine the doctors check for before starting IVF? I don't really know, tbh. A friend of mine was trying to conceive naturally and not having any luck, so I asked her about endometriosis... it turned out she did have it, and she got treatment and went on Clomid, and now has two children. I am not sure if she would have found out about it in time if I hadn't mentioned it. Many doctors are not proactive enough in considering this diagnosis, and as you will be aware, the clock is ticking. The longer endometriosis goes undiagnosed, the harder it may be to conceive.

If a woman has endometriosis, then it is usually best to have the deposits removed and any scar tissue that may be distorting the position of the pelvic organs dealt with too. After surgery there is a window of time where the chance of conceiving and having a successful pregnancy are higher. Once the deposits start growing again it can lead to scar tissue formation and the organs can stick to each other and make conception and pregnancy difficult. If there is scar tissue present it can increase discomfort and pain during pregnancy, but the woman and the baby are still healthy and things go ok.

I hope this info helps someone and if you want to know more about endometriosis please ask, and I can link you to some resources about it.

Hey,
Thanks for message.sorry I haven't replied sooner.
Endometriosis has crossed my mind several times. I have read it can be hard to find it in some cases but don't really know too much about it.is it possible to put the links on here so I can hace a read? I just feel that as much information I can get will help! I've tried clomid for 5 months and hate the stuff!! The side effects are crazy!

I've got a uterus scratch booked for Tuesday as my lining was think on the 3d scan. So Hoping that will work! Also had acupuncture today and feel amazing so relaxed. Can't wait for my next session!