IVF and trying to conceive

Soapsuds86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, I'm feeling fine - no different to before my transfer so we'll see what happens.

Re-blood sugars: I also think the closer you are to non-diabetic levels the better, not just for IVF and ttc but generally.

If you're really not happy with your clinic do you have the possibility to change clinics? I guess they should have told you when there were things that might make it difficult like blocked tube etc - You have to be happy with your clinic and trust the staff there otherwise I can imagine cycling is difficult. I don't know what clinic you're at, if you want to PM me to have a chat feel free to do that :)
Hey
How's things going? Hope you are well and good luck

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey, how's the dieting going? Hope it's going well.
Had my hba1c done today and got 6.0% so still keeping it low.
Only downside is my sugars run at 3mmol from about 8 on the morning till around 2 in the afternoon, so I have to reduce my basal but she said not to worry if hba1c climb a little bit.
Also had acupuncture today. Wow!! I feel amazing. I'm so relaxed. I completely zoned out. Had to wait at reception for about 15 mins before leaving cos I was do dizzy my hubby wondered where I had gone cos so relaxed. Booked again for next week. Two days after scratch. Feeling excited now! ☺

So cool you had acupuncture and that you liked it! Thanks for commenting as it does help to read positive things :)

Maybe I should go and start having sessions myself, you are inspiring me as I wasn't thinking about it, maybe it will help with my hormones and my mood....

I am in a terribly low mood at the moment (that time of the month as well... which always makes my life harder), went totally off the rail today diet wise and feeling that I will never get where I should be because I keep relapsing into bad habits...

It just feels like if it is going to take me forever to achieve the weight I need to achieve. I learned to control my BG (which today spiked to the 9's) but my weight is my enemy :(.

Soapsuds86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Big hugs sorry you're having a down day. We're all entitled to them espesh with af too! How long have you felt like this or been this way? If it's one day, you're allowed a day off. If it's more, have you spoken to your care team on how they can help?
I would recommend acupuncture definatly. I feel so different. I'm so relaxed compared to what I have been I'm ages! I think it would help to relax you and put you in a better frame of mind to give you the motivation to keep it going!
You've managed to get your sugars under control n there are so many people who cannot do that so you should feel proud you can do that! Forget today and wake up tomorrow a new day! Definatly try acupuncture x x

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hey,
Thanks for message.sorry I haven't replied sooner.
Endometriosis has crossed my mind several times. I have read it can be hard to find it in some cases but don't really know too much about it.is it possible to put the links on here so I can hace a read? I just feel that as much information I can get will help! I've tried clomid for 5 months and hate the stuff!! The side effects are crazy!

I've got a uterus scratch booked for Tuesday as my lining was think on the 3d scan. So Hoping that will work! Also had acupuncture today and feel amazing so relaxed. Can't wait for my next session!
Here is some info about it:
https://www.endometriosis-uk.org/information

A laparascopy (keyhole surgery) is what they use to diagnose it. Usually they can see the deposits of tissue, and they can biopsy them to confirm the diagnosis, and then they remove the deposits during the surgery. In some cases there are no visible deposits but the woman can still have endometriosis. These cases are hard to diagnose but I think they take a biopsy and can diagnose it that way.

I'm pretty sure they consider the possibility of endometriosis before giving IVF treatment, but it wouldn't hurt to ask about it when you get the chance.

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Big hugs sorry you're having a down day. We're all entitled to them espesh with af too! How long have you felt like this or been this way? If it's one day, you're allowed a day off. If it's more, have you spoken to your care team on how they can help?
I would recommend acupuncture definatly. I feel so different. I'm so relaxed compared to what I have been I'm ages! I think it would help to relax you and put you in a better frame of mind to give you the motivation to keep it going!
You've managed to get your sugars under control n there are so many people who cannot do that so you should feel proud you can do that! Forget today and wake up tomorrow a new day! Definatly try acupuncture x x

Thank you :)

I've been like this for the last week, but I know is in part because I wanted to see the scales moving and they weren't moving at all in the right direction, and the last two days I was just feeling really anxious and craving food.

I put the weight back on due to lots of stress so I think definitely I should look back into acupuncture, it's been years since the last time I had it. I think it will help with feeling relaxed and getting the whole system back on track. And you are definitely right about the mindset.

I having my review next week, so I will then talk to them and see, although I doubt they can do much.

Soapsuds86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At the moment I don't feel mine do much for me cos I know what I need to do pretty much but it'd just that motivation I take away with me. Like I'm a nightmare for writing reads in book and what eat etc. I always think I'll remember n then the night before appointment , I don't have a clue and can't say where my lows or highs came from.

I may need to follow my own advice in a few weeks time but is there something you can do to take ur mind away from it for a bit? I know what it's like cos you think about 24/7 as I do but just to move ur mind away a little so you don't feel as stressed or to balance your thoughts and emotions. That's what I was adviced today.so your whole focus isn't that so you don't get so frustrated and go on that downward spiral. A hobby or something? Is there a fitness club you could go to and meet new people or go with friends to boost yourself?

There was something on here or somewhere online I saw and it said diabetes is 5-10% medication and 90% emotion, yet most places focus on just the medication. Once your mindset is on track, the rest will follow.
I really hope they give you some answers or some advice. Hang in there! x x

Pooja80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi soapsude86,
I m so glad u tried acupuncture n loved it ... Great to c ur lower a1c ... U r doing great ! With acupuncture I lost 7-8 pounds , my hormones blood results came much better . I

Reactions: 3 people

LilySmith

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having a healthy way of life, not being 18 years old any more...
My grandmother has diabetes and two healthy sons and I'm only prediabetes and no children at all. So I don't think the desease can influence fertility in some way. At least I hope it won't make my first try of ivf with http://ivf-sunrise.net/ failed. I've just at my 1st cycle and wait for the first results, so wish me luck!

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Hey
How's things going? Hope you are well and good luck

Thanks for asking. It didn't go well unfortunately and I started bleeding on Sunday night so I knew that I'd get a BFN on test day yesterday. I was sort of prepared for it but it was nevertheless awful knowing it's officially over for us this round :(. I am looking into getting more tests done before we embark on our last round at some point. Glad you're feeling a bit better! xx

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My grandmother has diabetes and two healthy sons and I'm only prediabetes and no children at all. So I don't think the desease can influence fertility in some way. At least I hope it won't make my first try of ivf with http://ivf-sunrise.net/ failed. I've just at my 1st cycle and wait for the first results, so wish me luck!

Good luck!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for asking. It didn't go well unfortunately and I started bleeding on Sunday night so I knew that I'd get a BFN on test day yesterday. I was sort of prepared for it but it was nevertheless awful knowing it's officially over for us this round :(. I am looking into getting more tests done before we embark on our last round at some point. Glad you're feeling a bit better! xx

Sorry to read that, Kitty. IVF is very hard emotionally. It can really take it out of you.

Take care of yourself. X

cleo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to control effects of stress on blood sugars
Hi soap suds, I have type1 and endometriosis but am typing this with my gorgeous new baby lying on my chest following successful FET last year so please feel free to ask any questions if I can help at all.

Like you my sugars went a bit loopy during Stims and EC and I developed moderate OhSS (25 follicles on one ovary) so they wouldn't do fresh transfer. Clinic asked what hba1c was but otherwise ignored diabetes. Got sugars down before first FET but BFN. I largely put it down to stress and took up yoga & Pilates in addition to cutting hours at work, going for walks at lunch and doing caster oil packs to improve blood flow to uterus (and force me to lie down and relax, it also had the added bonus of lowering sugars). I didn't have acupuncture very often but only because the lady I saw moved away and the stress of travelling 3 hours to nearest one outweighed benefits. I have had it regularly for endo in past and agree it's very relaxing so worthwhile keeping it up if you can - great for physical and emotional health. Anyway, 3 months later the second FET worked (with the same grade of embryo as first time round).

Incidentally, I had endometriomas (endo cysts) on both ovaries at the time of EC and ET and, I suspect, deposits/adhesions too (I've had endo removed a couple of times so know when it's flaring up). my clinic were happy to ignore this as cysts were <5cm but bigger than that there's a risk of them twisting ovary or rupturing, which could lead to surgery which you obviously want to avoid when pregnant - they would show up on ultrasound at that size though.

The loopy sugars are good practice for pregnancy, it's just a case of checking checking and more checking and taking corrective action where necessary, but it sounds like your sugars are much better than mine were anyway so I don't think occasional highs prevent implantation.

Other women I've spoken to have taken various supplements (coq10, royal jelly etc) to improve egg quality so it might be worth looking into that. Low iron levels can prevent pregnancy too so might be worth getting that checked too if you haven't had bloods done for a while. Healthy diet etc goes without saying, and for OH too - I remember someone saying that hubby carries baby for first 3 months (ie before conception) so just as important for him to be on best behaviour!

All the best for your next cycle, and to kitty too. It's a mental roller coaster but it can work x

Soapsuds86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work. Massive hugs I know there are no words to comfort you and really hope you get the support you need. Thinking if you x x

Soapsuds86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good luck for your results!

I'm still unsure if diabetes is related to infertility somehow and we just don't know at this stage. When I spoke to my acupuncturist ( think that's what they're called ) she said that. It's difficult for them to find a cause and in my case it could be tgat the coating on my eggs doesn't grow properly to grow healthy eggs. Was just her theory.
I've always been taught tgat diabetes likes to miss a generation too, although my grandparents didn't have it and no one in my family does either, so not sure where I came from, haha!!
Let us know how you get on! Wish u all the best x x

Soapsuds86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Here is some info about it:
https://www.endometriosis-uk.org/information

A laparascopy (keyhole surgery) is what they use to diagnose it. Usually they can see the deposits of tissue, and they can biopsy them to confirm the diagnosis, and then they remove the deposits during the surgery. In some cases there are no visible deposits but the woman can still have endometriosis. These cases are hard to diagnose but I think they take a biopsy and can diagnose it that way.

I'm pretty sure they consider the possibility of endometriosis before giving IVF treatment, but it wouldn't hurt to ask about it when you get the chance.

Thank you for putting on this link. I'm pretty sure I've been checked. I've been poked and proded in places that I didn't know I had, lol.

I was asked about a laparascopy at the time of hsg. She said I could have it done but felt it wouldnt be needed so I didn't worry. May be something to revisit if this session of ivf is unsuccessful. I shall have a read through n mention it next time I'm up the clinic x x

LilySmith

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having a healthy way of life, not being 18 years old any more...
Good luck for your results!

I'm still unsure if diabetes is related to infertility somehow and we just don't know at this stage. When I spoke to my acupuncturist ( think that's what they're called ) she said that. It's difficult for them to find a cause and in my case it could be tgat the coating on my eggs doesn't grow properly to grow healthy eggs. Was just her theory.
I've always been taught tgat diabetes likes to miss a generation too, although my grandparents didn't have it and no one in my family does either, so not sure where I came from, haha!!
Let us know how you get on! Wish u all the best x x
Thank you! I'll tell the results, when I get them.
Xxx

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Thanks girls. You're right - 2 unsuccessful cycles do take their toll and I need a little break now. Time's a healer they say though and my little baby cat is helpful too! xxx

Reactions: 6 people

emmarees26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi soapsuds86 and everyone else!!
I am Type 1 Diabetic and have had 5 rounds of IVF!!!! I have had 2 MMC's and 3 failed implantation failures. Like you, when I first started treatment, I trawled the net looking for advice and support relating to diabetes and IVF. Found little or nothing.
I can honestly say that I feel like a pro when it comes to managing diabetes and IVF now though. hahaha.
In relation to diabetes and infertility being linked, i feel that it could be related for some and not for others... Although my Dr's say no, I always felt that it was my immune system letting me down, so off my own back, I booked in for a test known as 'The Chicago test'. It is all relating to Immune Sytem issues and NK Cells. It is quite controversial and the NHS haven't come around to the idea yet, buuuut, my results came back as having elevated NK cells and this is what is causing my MMC's and implantation failure (no surprise there really, it was my faulty immune system that attacked my pancreas when I was 6, so why wouldn't it be attacking my embryo's?? Especially with hubby's DNA to contend with on top...)
As a result of these tests, we are trying 1 last round of IVF, with immune support, so watch this space.....
Em xx

emmarees26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
PS - what i should have said above is, that I don't believe diabetes causes infertility directly, but auto immune issues can and do!! Diabetes is caused by an underlying auto immune issue and there are increasing links and research stating that immune issues can/are causing problems in conceiving and miscarriage. That doesn't mean that every person with diabetes or an auto immune disease will have trouble conceiving though!!
I honestly believe that these tests and immune treatments will become protocol within the NHS in a matter of years. There is so much more to learn, it is fascinating stuff. I have read a brilliant book called 'Is Your Body Baby Friendly', by Dr Alan Beer. He is the man behind the Chicago Tests. Such a good read, i would highly recommend it...
http://www.babyfriendlybook.com/
Em xx