Joseph Kraft and hidden diabetes

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There seems to be a cleavage in this field between doctors/clinicians OTOH and surgeons/pathologists who cut people up and see their atherosclerotic bits on the other. There's a heart surgeon called Dwight Lundell on the DietDoctor site who has a heretical theory of what causes atherosclerosis, formed by cutting people's bits open and having a look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's also clear that diabetes is much more complex than the binary playoff between glucose and insulin. Ir's a much more complicated story.

Reactions: 4 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
There seems to be a cleavage in this field between doctors/clinicians OTOH and surgeons/pathologists who cut people up and see their atherosclerotic bits on the other. There's a heart surgeon called Dwight Lundell on the DietDoctor site who has a heretical theory of what causes atherosclerosis, formed by cutting people's open and having a look.
I think Dr Lundell is basically saying the standard western diet (lots of refined carbs and industrial seed oils) cause it, not high cholesterol.

Reactions: 6 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think Dr Lundell is basically saying the standard western diet (lots of refined carbs and industrial seed oils) cause it, not high cholesterol.
Yes I think I agree with this statement. The cholesterol changes are just an indicator to the damage from multiple directions but have been blamed as the culprit

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Could we get back to Kraft and his apparently discovering that most people are severely insulin resistant?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Could we get back to Kraft and his apparently discovering that most people are severely insulin resistant?
Well it's all related really. If 71% of people are "Insulin resistant", is our understanding of what is normal wrong?

Especially when you take into account the following, which shows that ~6% of the US population is Diabetic. (Chart comes from the CDC)

dsdiabetestrends_600px.gif

Should the issue really be about preventing Hyperinsulinimea in the prevention of CVD rather than directly worrying about diabetes, as those 71% of insulin resistant subjects clearly aren't all diabetic.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well it's all related really. If 71% of people are "Insulin resistant", is our understanding of what is normal wrong?

Yes absolutely, I think that's the real point.

Perhaps we should change our picture and see T1 and T2 diabetes as the late stages of the disease of insulin abnormality. The very late, finally visible stages. And insulin resistance as a stage in this process that people go thru to varying times and intensity.

One question would then be, when do you get appreciable vascular damage / when does damage become important and structural ...

Actually I suppose T1 doesn't fit that picture. But then you get Kraft's other point in the book, that once T1s are taking exogenous insulin, they can become insulin resistant too ...
- "My question is what "Randomly referred for OGTT" means"

Perhaps Ivor Cummins can ask him? As he interviewed him last month.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes absolutely, I think that's the real point.

Perhaps we should change our picture and see T1 and T2 diabetes as the late stages of the disease of insulin abnormality. The very late, finally visible stages. And insulin resistance as a stage in this process that people go thru to varying times and intensity.

The question would then be, when do you get appreciable vascular damage / when does damage become important and structural ...

Actually I suppose T1 doesn't fit that picture. But then you get Kraft's other point in the book, that once T1s are taking exogenous insulin, they can become insulin resistant too ...
- "My question is what "Randomly referred for OGTT" means"

Perhaps Ivor Cummins can ask him? As he interviewed him last month.

There are a few OGTT, differing in what you are trying to diagnose.
Fasting 2 hour
Non fasting 2 hour
Fasting prolonged 5 hours
Non fasting prolonged
Breakfast OGTT. Where the patient is given bread, butter, jam to see the response. It has a scientific name but can't think of it without looking it up.

Does it say which one was used?

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It makes no sense to me to say that 70% plus of the population is "not normal". Right from the off there's a problem with the definition of "normal" there. And this may explain why his work has found no acceptance in the evidence-based scientific community.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The majority of overweight and obese people are normoglycaemic . They produce more insulin than their diabetic counterparts of a similar weight. Whilst they continue to be able to produce sufficient insulin then they do not become diabetic. Their pancreas can compensate (at least to a point, which in some cases can be extremely high)
We see this compensatory increase in production during pregnancy and during adolescence when energy needs increase.

It is only when insulin resistance has also increased and reached the point that the beta cells can't compensate that we get hyperglycemia. It's then that beta cells may be killed by gluco and lipo toxicity (or perhaps in some cases just made dysfunctional)

Insulin resistance is by some researchers today thought to be a defence by cells against too much energy. When fat or muscle cells get too full so they can't take any more they become resistant to insulin preventing energy from entering . They are protecting themselves and don't 'think' of the upstream consequences for the rest of the organism. This happens at a different threshold in different individuals; some people might have to became mega obese before it happens and others may be of 'normal' weight .

This is in a way demonstrated by those very rare cases where people have almost no fat cells. They are diabetic and extremely insulin resistant. http://www.bbc.com/news/health-22903537
It's also demonstrated when we exercise, we use up some of the cells energy stores we become less insulin resistant.
Conversely Giving injected insulin when the cells are more resistant causes weight gain since it's forcibly overcoming that insulin resistance with more insulin and allowing more energy into the cell. (and thus more is able to be stored)
(I've very much simplified the resistance as a defence against obesity hypothesis; leptin also plays a part http://www.lsi.umich.edu/newsevents/lsinews/2012-06-05)

Reactions: 8 people

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
fascinating discussion. did watch Ivor's interview but only about halfway through..i pulverized my pancreas for more than 30 years. My fasting insulin recently was 12 which was smack in the middle of the 4-25 range which the lab determined as "normal" but based on my research, i thought that was "high". During this period I did however manage to lose 6 stone. Jeff Volek published an interesting graph that showed fat breakdown falling off a cliff when insulin levels were above around 4-5. i am now actively trying to bring my fasting insulin down to that level with supplementation of fish oil, chromium & berberine. been on these for about a month. will report back after two months if anyone is interested.

Reactions: 9 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
fascinating discussion. did watch Ivor's interview but only about halfway through..i pulverized my pancreas for more than 30 years. My fasting insulin recently was 12 which was smack in the middle of the 4-25 range which the lab determined as "normal" but based on my research, i thought that was "high". During this period I did however manage to lose 6 stone. Jeff Volek published an interesting graph that showed fat breakdown falling off a cliff when insulin levels were above around 4-5. i am now actively trying to bring my fasting insulin down to that level with supplementation of fish oil, chromium & berberine. been on these for about a month. will report back after two months if anyone is interested.
Have you seen Marty Kendall's blog on optimising diet based on the insulin index?

https://optimisingnutrition.wordpress.com/2015/03/23/most-ketogenic-diet-foods/

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It makes no sense to me to say that 70% plus of the population is "not normal". Right from the off there's a problem with the definition of "normal" there. And this may explain why his work has found no acceptance in the evidence-based scientific community.

How could Kraft's evidence possibly be bettered, Ruth? Nor would I describe the medical community as evidence-based. Closed-minded, rather.

Yes, it's the question 'What is normal' where the importance of his research lies. It certainly tells us something - the question is, what, isn't it. My best make of it so far is above: we redefine diabetes as the later end of a disorder of insulin metabolism.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
we redefine diabetes as the later end of a disorder of insulin metabolism
That only holds true if what 71% of the population tested showed was abnormal. By very definition, the data shows that statistically, those with the "Kraft Normal" response are, if you like, the lowest quartile on the distribution.

Is what they have actually the abnormal?

Does it demonstrate that what has always been believed to be normal, by the evidence presented, is really the abnormal?

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That only holds true if what 71% of the population tested showed was abnormal. By very definition, the data shows that statistically, those with the "Kraft Normal" response are, if you like, the lowest quartile on the distribution.

Is what they have actually the abnormal?

Does it demonstrate that what has always been believed to be normal, by the evidence presented, is really the abnormal?
But optimal.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
But optimal.
Not even that. What is believed to be optimal until enough evidence is gathered otherwise...

There has long been a belief that optimal cholesterol is as low a level as possible with very little proof, a lot of drugs sold and side effects like Alzheimers.....

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Great point, tho insulin sensitivity can be increased without drugs by exercising, as you yourself do.