Just been diagnosed help!

Dad2type1

Hi just found out my little 9yr old girl has been diagnosed with type 1 and I’m devastated as I feel like her little worlds just ended , I’m hoping someone will tell me it will be ok

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your daughter will be fine :)
A number of us have had T1 for many many years and are still most definitely here - I've hit nearly 44 years here

Some of the time T1 can be very unpredictable and very annoying and can be tough but it most definitely dealable with, especially now with the much better tech that is now around

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I actually think that if you've got to get T1 as a child, then 8 or 9 is a good age to get it. My heart bleeds for the parents of preschoolers or even pre-talkers who have to cope with managing the blood sugar of an infant who doesn't yet have the ability to be rational, and teenagers with a new T1 diagnosis have to cope with both stresses at once. (Not sure that being a teenager isn't worse than having T1, but it does have the massive advantage that you eventually stop being a teenager.)

At 9, your daughter will soon be doing her own injecting, carb counting and insulin calculations, and probably soon be better at it than you are. Just remember to be there if she occasionally gets overwhelmed and needs to step back for a bit. I was diagnosed 51 years ago, at 8, and I definitely agree with @Rokaab that the tech available now makes T1 not only much easier to handle but also much much less likely to lead to long term health issues. (And I'm still alive and well with all limbs and organs intact and working. :))

Yes, it can see overwhelming on first diagnosis, but you've got plenty of time to learn to handle it (I'm still learning after half a century.)

Lots of virtual hugs. There's usually someone on here to reply if you ever have a question or just want some sympathy. Good luck.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Hi just found out my little 9yr old girl has been diagnosed with type 1 and I’m devastated as I feel like her little worlds just ended , I’m hoping someone will tell me it will be ok
What a shock for you and the rest of the family. I suspect your little girl is going to astound you with how she takes to dealing with the T1. Years ago I dated a guy with T1 and now I am having to deal with something very similar I am astounded by how much technology has come on. Lots of gadgets and fun things to make it all a lot less scary for children. Lots of lovely people on here who will give you tons of great advice.

Prov.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome

It must feel like a lot to take in particularly after the year we have all had. It will be okay- it may take a while to feel like it. I agree that it may be a bit easier having your daughter being able to understand and communicate with you about it.

You may want to look at the part of the forum for parents as there you will 'meet' others in the same position who may be able to give you some suggestions.

Welcome and best wishes for the next few weeks while you deal with the diagnosis.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Also just tagging @Jaylee as a type 1 who will be able to provide more reassurance.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

Welcome to the forum..

Yeah, my mum felt the same way about me.. Sheds happen. I was diagnosed on my 8th birthday.
I'm still here to take care of my mum in her dotage.

Your kid will be fantastic. Let her have fun & inspire.

Feel free to ask anything. There's always something that comes up that isn't in the "user manual."

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As others have said, Type 1 is more manageable now than it ever was and should not hold your daughter back .
Sometimes it can be useful to relate to someone famous. If your daughter is into sport, she may be interested in Henry Slade who plays rugby for England.
Or, if she is into music, Este Haim. Actually, HAIM were interviewed on BBC breakfast, recently, and Este's insulin pump started alarming mid-sentence. The YouTube video of it is a great example of how to manage Type 1 and not hide it.
The young woman who delivered the poem at Biden's inauguration has Type 1.
The big half time as during the Superbowl this year was Nick Jonas, the American singer and actor with Type 1.

All great role models who haven't let Type 1 hold them back

And, I forgot Theresa May. I am not a fan politically but find inspiration from someone who didn't let Type 1 hold her back from running a country.

Dad2type1

Thanks for all your replies , it sure does help to know people that have been there and know exactly how you feel , appreciate it so much