Just been diagnosed Type 2 Would Love Some Advice

Jenko1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning,

Firstly it is great to find a resource where we are all in the same storm but on different boats.

I have just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and it is hard to come to terms with; even just writing hurts.

I haven't felt "well" for a good couple of years and have been going back and fore the doctors with pain down my right-hand side, fatigue, thirst, inconsistent stools and a general

Malaise.​

At the doctor on Monday night dipped my urine and did a blood sugar test. First doctor ever! And my bloods read 22.
He shipped me off to the hospital straight away, I had a load of tests, and it came back with stable ketones but confirmed I have type 2 diabetes.

I am overweight, around 21st, and 5ft 8. I suppose if I were 6ft 7, I would be ok.

Seriously though, it has been a difficult 48 hrs taking 500mg of metrofirm, which has caused me never to be more than 3ft away from the toilet and trying to absorb all the information.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. From what I can see, low carb is the first step!

I am awaiting the doctor's follow-up from the hospital, but I want to try and reverse this as soon as possible.

In some ways, it is a blessing as I have been going mad thinking I was a hypochondriac going to the doctor's all the time and feeling ill. Now I know what it is, I can get back to health. x

Thank you in advance
Julian x

sue512

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
Within a week of going low carb, boy did I feel better! That surprised me and as a side effect I lost 3 stone very quickly so for me it was well worth trying. I’d gone down the increasing medication route for about 5 years after diagnosis which although controlled my blood sugars, up to a point, didn’t make me feel well. I’d suggest 2 things and that’s testing to see what happens with your diet and blood sugar levels and controlling your carb intake and see what happens

Reactions: Jenko1973

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the first day of you feeling better than you have for years, both physically and generally! Now you know what has been making you feel rotten. Your weight will drop off without you having to feel hungry once you embrace a healthy diet for diabetics (NOT the NHS Eatwell plate) and there is plenty of friendly information here from real people who have real experiences to share. Everyone's diabetes is a little different, as are our other life challenges. Re: the Metformin - a lot of us have honed our athlete's skills racing to the loo from taking it. Sometimes the gut settles down, sometimes not. There is slow-release metformin that others here have found helpful, or other medication, or you could try what many of us have done, which is to change to a better diet and not need meds at all. Take your time, read what we have to share. Ask anything you want.

Reactions: budhi76

Jenko1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is the first day of you feeling better than you have for years, both physically and generally! Now you know what has been making you feel rotten. Your weight will drop off without you having to feel hungry once you embrace a healthy diet for diabetics (NOT the NHS Eatwell plate) and there is plenty of friendly information here from real people who have real experiences to share. Everyone's diabetes is a little different, as are our other life challenges. Re: the Metformin - a lot of us have honed our athlete's skills racing to the loo from taking it. Sometimes the gut settles down, sometimes not. There is slow-release metformin that others here have found helpful, or other medication, or you could try what many of us have done, which is to change to a better diet and not need meds at all. Take your time, read what we have to share. Ask anything you want.
Thank you that is so beautiful and I appreciate it x

Jenko1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Within a week of going low carb, boy did I feel better! That surprised me and as a side effect I lost 3 stone very quickly so for me it was well worth trying. I’d gone down the increasing medication route for about 5 years after diagnosis which although controlled my blood sugars, up to a point, didn’t make me feel well. I’d suggest 2 things and that’s testing to see what happens with your diet and blood sugar levels and controlling your carb intake and see what happen

Within a week of going low carb, boy did I feel better! That surprised me and as a side effect I lost 3 stone very quickly so for me it was well worth trying. I’d gone down the increasing medication route for about 5 years after diagnosis which although controlled my blood sugars, up to a point, didn’t make me feel well. I’d suggest 2 things and that’s testing to see what happens with your diet and blood sugar levels and controlling your carb intake and see what happens
Thank you x