Just Been Diagnosed

Andypikey1105

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all I have been diagnosed with reactive hypoglycaemia by my doctor, he hasn't offered any further help. Other than "you have this" see you next time.

Any help anyone can offer would be good.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Andy, I guess Nosher and Brunneria will be along to help later. There are no meds to control this condition but controlling and reducing carbs can stop the hypos dead in their tracks. I used to have hypos am and pm when walking and working in the garden and stopped them last September when I cut out all refined carbs. re: potatoes, bread, rice and pasta etc Also a large dish of porridge in an am spiked me badly and caused a later hypo.
Anything that put up my blood glucose also caused a subsequent low c.one hour after peak glucose. However there is variation between people when the peaks a troughs occur. Hypos make one feel rotten and its a drastic change in our eating pattern but necessary. all the best for getting a grip on having hypos. Derek

Hi all I have been diagnosed with reactive hypoglycaemia by my doctor, he hasn't offered any further help. Other than "you have this" see you next time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Hi Andy,
Welcome to our unique club!
Do you have an endocrinologist?
Your GP would probably not know how to go about treating the condition and his knowledge or what he has read would be out of date.

The only way to find out is by reading and gaining the knowledge to what happens to you when you eat, it is a dietary condition which means your pancreas is out balance when you eat carbs and sugars.
If I said to you, eating sugar makes you ill.
Would you give up sugar?

This condition is treated by diet.
You have an intolerance to some foods.
It's usually carbs and sugars.
But the only way you find out is by testing, with a glucose monitor.
Testing all your foods is a necessary requirement to see how you cope with certain types of foods.

Read the threads on our forum.
Read the threads on the low carb forum.
Learn how to control this condition, we have helped quite a few members of our unique club and learnt from our experience.

Ask away, we will really help you, as we have been there! And know what you are going through!

Again welcome and best wishes.