Just diagnosed and I am hungry for fruit

jahbee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello all, Well I am into my second week of blood testing and finding out what my body likes and doesn't (not easy is it?) Since being diagnosed last week I have found this forum very supportive and helpful. (no help from my GP whatsoever). So thanks for that. I just wanted to know what the best fruits are to eat. Can I still have my beloved grapes and bananas? and is sweet potato a good choice for veg?
Cheers all Jay.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hi Jay and welcome.

I think by testing you will find out what fruits you can eat without too many problems. Bananas and grapes tend to send sugars up a lot, berry fruits (strawbs, raspberries ect) less so.

Best thing to do is to carry on as you have started and test to see if your favourites have any effect on your BG's.

Good luck!!

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Hello Jay

This may work for you but I suggest you try from a low level and work up.

Make fresh fruit salad. My wife has made various mixes of a combination of apples, pears, pineapple, grapes, melon, nectarine, raspberries, strawberries and blueberries. It usually works out at around 15g of carbs / 150g serving. I tend to eat it as a pudding after my main meal and somehow its BG raising effects are minimised to nearly nothing. My son who is a long time Type 1 diabetic recommended it to me. So try it out but maybe not at the max 150g level just yet. Try say 30 to 50g mixed with an equivalent amount of plain Greek yoghurt for breakfast and see what happens.

evilcat

Hi Jay,

It was only through testing that I could determine which fruit I could eat. I'm fine with berries and plums (not too ripe) but that's about it for me. Sweet potato is okay for me too, it has no impact on my levels. The same for squash as well - my favourite side order is now diced squash fried in garlic, chilli and bacon :D

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
evilcat said:
my favourite side order is now diced squash fried in garlic, chilli and bacon :D

Oh that sounds really good, must try that :clap: