Just diagnosed BG12.2 & confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpage

Hi 'Just diagnosed' I was diagnosed in Sep 2010. With 15.5 BG reading. Shock horror! First reaction was to go and buy my own BG meter! A lovely Contour USB and tested myself from then on regularly. Went crazy and started exercise regime of minimum 1 mile power walking plus 5km jogs (until had to back off with slight ligament pain). And eliminated ALL sugary stuff... sweets, fizzy drinks, juices, sugar and switched to complex carbs, pulses, vegetables, sweet potato, porridge lean meat (esp chicken) and my BG dropped now to around 7. But needs to be lower so started on Metformin (1x 500mg per day) which is nudgingit down.

Getting info is a struggle. The internet is a start but there is so much conflicting stuff out there. What I am learning is by using my meter I can see what foods impact my BG. And the other thing is exercise is brilliant at knocking down the BG. Getting weight down is also essential.

It took me 3 months before I really resigned myself to the fact that this was not going away and that it was in my hands to manage it or suffer the long term consequences of migrating from tablets to insulin and other complications. There was an excellent programme on Sky called The Hospital on diabetes which frightened the hell out of me along with one by Oprah. Those two programmes have fixed my resolve to manage this which means sticking rigorously to diet and exercise.

Upside is the exercise is great, gets me out and seeing my local neighbourhood and saying hi to people. Playing with my USB meter and printing graphs etc. I find fun but then I am a closet techie!

And having had the pneumonia vaccination and flu jab also feel 'safer' for it especially given the swine flu epidemic.

Finally, it's great that my two 20 something children are also adopting my diet/exercise lifestyle!

Hope your Doctor will prescribe you regular lancets & strips!

dcr565

Had all my results back in February, kidneys, eyes, feet, liver fine. Trig down from 3.0 to 1.0 in 3 weeks low carbing. Chol down from 5,6 to 4.9 in same time. HbA1C 7.1 3 weeks after diagnosis in January. I've now lost nearly 3 stones through low carbing. Everything seems to be going well but I suddenly feel quite fed up with things and very negative. Thought i was coping well. Really concerned at prognosis as I've read so many differing views and opinions (the medical ones are the worst!). Haven't taken metformin since early February with GPs agreement but just read that metformin can delay progression. Should I start taking it again? Carb intake must still be less than 50g a day. Is this likely to damage my kidneys keeping this up? Is it normal to feel like this? Really worried about prognosis.

dcr565

I'm becoming more and more anxious about my diabetes and feel quite stressed, particularly thinking of the prognosis. My fasting bg were down to 5.2 but they have recently been about 6.1 to even 6.9. Could stress be causing this increase? Yesterday it was 5.6 but today 6.6. Is depression common in newly diagnosed diabetics?

Unbeliever

dcr565 said:
I'm becoming more and more anxious about my diabetes and feel quite stressed, particularly thinking of the prognosis. My fasting bg were down to 5.2 but they have recently been about 6.1 to even 6.9. Could stress be causing this increase? Yesterday it was 5.6 but today 6.6. Is depression common in newly diagnosed diabetics?

I don't feel qualified to answer all of your quesions But i think I am right to say that diabetics in geb=neral are twice as likely to suffer from depression as he res of the population.

Certainly stress can affect your llevels . It causes your liver o produce sugar.

It sounds as though you coped with the usual shiock at diagnosis by deciding to do all you could to fight it . but that now you are having to come o terms with the chronic naty=ure of it.
We have all been there. I thin your feelings are entirely naural but try to relax a litle if you can.

At leas you have forund your way here where experienced folk will ry their best o help.

I am sure someone will soon be along o answer the "finer points"

Good luck with it all. There is a lot to learn - you can't do it all overnight.

dcr565

Thanks for the support Unbeliever, I know I have to pull myself together and get on with things. There are a lot of people out there far worse off than me. As I said to my GP after losing nearly 3 stone and getting my fasting down to 5.2, knowing my luck after all this hard work I'll walk out of here and get run over by a bus.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You've done really well losing 3 stones and getting good control. It is so easy to think negatively. I made a new years resolution to be a 'glass half full' person and see the positive in things. So far it is working. Although I'm not sure the postman at work appreciated my comments one day when it was chucking it down with rain, that at least it wasn't snowing ...

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi dcr565

I think your present feelings are perfectly natural. At first, it was all new to you and you had lots to learn and focus on and it was actually quite exciting - am I right?

You have done really well, with the weight loss and getting all your blood tests results back clear - your lipid profile sounds really good. So what you're doing is working - and a bit of the challenge has perhaps gone out of it?

You've done very well very quickly, and you may find that your body takes a bit of time to settle down to its new state, so you might get odd variables in your bg readings from time to time. Stress does cause them to rise; so does infection, and it's quite possible to have a niggly little infection somewhere that you may never see other than in your bg readings. So don't worry - just continue to keep an eye on things.

I'm a Type 2, low-carb and metformin, and I aim to be within the NICE guidelines for Type 2 diabetics at all times. These are:

4 - 7 mmol/l fasting or before meals
less than 8.5mmol/l, 2 hours after meals.

So you're still on target.

You may also be getting a bit of 'dawn phenomenon'. My early morning bg reading is always the highest of the day. This could mean that your levels are going sufficiently low overnight to cause your liver to pump out a bit more glucose to set you up for the day - quite normal.

Continue what you're doing, give yourself a pat on the back every now and again for managing your diabetes so well - and don't worry too much! Keep an eye on things, and don't let yourself fall off the wagon - but an occasional treat may be quite in order, as long as it remains occasional.

Cheer up :D

Viv 8)

dcr565

Thanks Denise and Viv, just need to concentrate on keeping everything in perspective. I'm determined to get things as low as possible so that I can live long enough to die of something else.

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'
In the words of the Clancy Brothers - 'the longer you live - the sooner you'll die.'

I intend to tip into my grave on two wheels and say - well that was a fun ride - even though I suffer from depression.

Cheers
Ailz

carefixer

It sounds like T2 as you report normal readings other than at fasting. I had a similar fasting reading this morning 17 years post diagnosis and without taking any med for a couple of days. What is interesting to me is you seem to be developing T2 at 59 and appear to be overweight (unless you are 7 feet tall). Paradoxically this could be a good sign as you may be what I call a 'C' genetic sub-type. I may be able to help you.

Please 'PM' me if you would like help. I warn you that I am not a physician but I have cured several people of advanced T2 and cured large numbers of obesity.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
John, as you well know, there is no 'cure' for Type 2 Diabetes, just very good control. Please do not confuse new Diabetics with the thought that they can be cured.

You are a long time member and as such should know that this is not encouraged on the Board as it gives false hope to new and confused members.

Any new member that is contacted about a 'cure' for Diabetes from any member should report it to the Monitors.

Forum Monitors.

Seafront73

Like you Sue I was somewhat confused on being initially diagnosed and may yet have to undergo medication - currently using diet, exercise and weight loss to cope.You appear to have been diagnosed and treated at a considerably more difficult level but sound confident you can deal with a new way of life. Good luck on getting the Blood Pressure down. Weight loss will also help. I can't think of anything more mortifying than being told some time ago by a 20's something physiotherapist that I was 'obese', just five pounds over the overweight level. I am 67 and now only 5lbs from the Normal weight level.

I have recently joined the forum and found the sharing of advice and experience to be very helpful. It is an online parallel to that of the post cardiac exercise group I belong to where I have learned a considerable amount.
Geoff

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Geoff........which Sue are you referring to ? The Sue who posted before you doesn't have any of the problems you mentioned and was only posting in a response to the previous poster as a Forum Monitor ??

carefixer

sugarless sue said:
John, as you well know, there is no 'cure' for Type 2 Diabetes, just very good control. Please do not confuse new Diabetics with the thought that they can be cured.

Sue,

I know full well that diabetes is curable in some cases. Indeed I thought you were aware that several people were cured of advanced cases of type 2 via this site several years ago. Diabetes (T2) has also been cured by orthodox methods (see a recent post of mine).

You are a long time member and as such should know that this is not encouraged on the Board as it gives false hope to new and confused members.

I do not give false hope to new and confused members. Quite the contrary I say this cure will only work for some genetic sub-types but I give real hope to those who are curable. This new diagnosee seems to me to be a possible curee but I cannot guarantee it. The trans-fat replacement treatment which is in-line with BMA and NICE recommendations on trans fats will almost certainly help her lose weight.

Any new member that is contacted about a 'cure' for Diabetes from any member should report it to the Monitors.

Why do you want to keep the forum membership ill and to kill them? This is what you are in effect doing. By concealing the truth which anyone can investigate and try out for themselves you are serving only the interests of the pharmaceutical companies. Do you work for them?

Diabetes is entirely a man made condition. It is entirely preventable and persists only through the practice of false medicie which you appear to be reinforcing. Medical practice is aimed at symptom treatment for profit. There is no money in curing people, just in keeping them sick and making them sicker. Diabetes.co.uk used to be a free site not under the thrall of the corrupt. It seems to be falling into evil hands.

Forum Monitors.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Carefixer wrote : Why do you want to keep the forum membership ill and to kill them? This is what you are in effect doing. By concealing the truth which anyone can investigate and try out for themselves you are serving only the interests of the pharmaceutical companies. Do you work for them?

Diabetes is entirely a man made condition. It is entirely preventable and persists only through the practice of false medicie which you appear to be reinforcing. Medical practice is aimed at symptom treatment for profit. There is no money in curing people, just in keeping them sick and making them sicker. Diabetes.co.uk used to be a free site not under the thrall of the corrupt. It seems to be falling into evil hands.

John, we prefer information on this Board plainly in sight on the Board so that it can be discussed and evaluated by the members. No one is concealing the 'truth' your posts are still freely available on the Board for anyone to read and make up their own minds ! We do however protect the members on here from information that cannot be substantiated and may confuse newly diagnosed members. You have been touting this 'cure' for years yet you yourself are not 'cured' have high Bg levels and are on medication !

Forum Monitors.

carefixer

Sue,

I am an incurable T2 suffer as I have made clear from the begining (i.e. at least at the end of my trial of it). The Cure however did cure me of obesity and has improved my diabetes, cured my peripheral neuropathy and improved my circulation. I no longer have crescendo angina or ectopic heartbeats. It also cured some people of T2 as you full well know.

It is you who are in effect confusing people and the recent diagnosee will be deceived to worsening health and death unless she receives advice based on fully substantiated information based upon peer revied scientific literature rather than the false medicine based upon drug company profits.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Our advice on here has helped many control their Diabetes successfully. We do not follow the orthodox teachings on Diabetes as you well know.

Perhaps you can give us the sources of your peer reviewed literature ?

As for working for the drug companies..... we are volunteers, experienced Diabetics with no agenda other than helping other Diabetics.

Forum Monitors

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
John.
You wan't some information ...........

Is There a Diabetes Cure?
With all the research on diabetes and the breakthroughs in diabetes treatments, it's tempting to think someone has surely found a diabetes cure by now. But the reality is there is no cure for diabetes -- neither type 1 diabetes nor type 2 diabetes. In fact, it's highly advisable to avoid any product that claims to be the new "cure" for diabetes.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/is-there-a-diabetes-cure

To the above I would add.........."highly advisable to avoid any person who claims to have a 'cure' for Diabetes." We get many so called 'cures' touted on here and we don't sit idly by watching such misinformation posted here any more. Times have changed John.

I remember your so called 'cure' and it does not provide any proof that anybody was 'cured'.....just that they controlled their Diabetes better, remission may be a word that could be used. They are still Diabetic.

Give any of them a high carb food and their Bg levels would soar. That is no cure.....and you know it isn't.......

Diabetes.co.uk used to be a free site not under the thrall of the corrupt. It seems to be falling into evil hands.

The above quote which you stated is totally false and also something that is no longer tolerated on this Forum. You are accusing us and DCUK of things which are unjust and simply not true.

As for the new Member, I do hope he has the sense not to follow your flawed advice regarding a non-existent 'cure.' :roll:

Forum Monitor's

Status
Not open for further replies.