Just diagnosed. Need advice

Tellybear

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was just diagnosed as diabetic the start of July and I don't know what type of diabetic I am, I haven't been told and my diabetic nurse told me that I have to wait for a letter from the hospital to come through to go and get my bloods taken to find out then which isn't for another 5-6 weeks she said.

I was wondering if anyone else went through this?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
It does sound like the poor service many here have had. I encourage you to go back to the nurse and ask some questions.

Can you tell us a bit about yourself, we might be able to help you with which questions to ask. What is your age, and do you know what some of your blood test results were, such as HbA1c or fasting glucose? If you weren't told, then asking for a copy of your results would be a good idea.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I was just diagnosed as diabetic the start of July and I don't know what type of diabetic I am, I haven't been told and my diabetic nurse told me that I have to wait for a letter from the hospital to come through to go and get my bloods taken to find out then which isn't for another 5-6 weeks she said.

I was wondering if anyone else went through this?

Hi @Tellybear , do not despair, I've been diabetic for almost a year and my diagnosis went something along the lines of ' tall and slim = type 1. I am having tests done over the next few weeks so if you find out within 5 weeks then you're actually doing quite well!

Welcome to the forums.

Johnbarr65

Hello! Same here Teddybear, still waiting for final result as to what my type is. Welcome to a great support forum, even though we'd prefer not being part of it!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. As well as age, are you normal or over-weight? As a generalisation slim and possibly younger implies T1 and overweight and older implies T2. Either way a low-carb diet is a good start for either. Meds for each should be slightly different and if T1 I'm afraid it will progress but may be slowly.