just diagnosed

Robmac

Hi i have just been told i have type 2 diabetes, i am 70 years of age and would like some suggestions about the type of things i can eat and what to avoid, any help would be gratefully appreciated.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi i have just been told i have type 2 diabetes, i am 70 years of age and would like some suggestions about the type of things i can eat and what to avoid, any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Hello @Robmac , and welcome,

Sorry about your diagnosis, but you have come to the right place for information and support. Do you know what your test results were? It helps when you know what you're starting from, and what to aim for. And have you been issued medication? If you're on metformin or anything from that family, it's perfectly safe to alter your diet, but if you're on gliclazide or something similar, cutting carbs (which is what we don't process well) could potentially results in hypo's.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ should give you some of the basics, diet-wise. You sound like you're ready and willing to take the bull by the horns here, so... I have a feeling you're going to be fine.

Again, welcome, and if you have any questions, there's always someone about with answers.
Jo

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are an ordinary type two then meat, fish and seafood, cheese and eggs are all low carb options.
There are quite a few low carb veges to try out to see if you can cope with them, and herbs and spices are useful. I have berries a couple of times a week if I feel like a dessert after dinner.
I do only eat twice a day, with most of the carbs in the evening, as they have less effect then.
I have coffee with cream and eat fattier cuts of meat, and add in a little butter to my scrambled eggs when I make them, so my diet has more fat than those who believe that it is bad for them, but I was 70 this year, and I feel pretty good - look it too, I get my bus pass checked when there is a new driver on the route.