just had a binge (couldnt help myself)

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So what about when the binge is high fat, like cream? It doesn't have to be just carbs that are the rogues in binge behaviour.

Fortunately, I don't like solitary saturated fat enough to binge on it. Loads of unsweetened double cream on its own, no thanks. A little on a sugar -free jelly is fine. Clotted cream even. But cream in association with carbs, for example with jam on scone, the wonderful Cornish or Devon Cream Tea, is a no-no-never-never for me and I don't mind.
This is the key, I think, for me: satiated so that I RELAX and don't binge.

This is what stumped me about LCHF until I got used to the principles. Yes, I can have butter, but what can I have butter on? Toast? No. Sandwich? No. Cream I can have, but what do I have cream with? Sugar-free jelly, full-stop. Or a double espresso. In this way, LCHF is self-limiting - which is another good thing about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

fatgirl1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't look after their pets
It is when the once in a while becomes once in a day that the problems start.
You will be pleased to know that today I am being very very good - so far today 1 dish of olives with garlic cloves and Sun dried tomatoes, small portion of shredded beetroot and carrot salad, 2 mattessonsTurkey rashers and cucumber slices dipped in salsa. For tea it will be homemade mackerel pate on crackers - see I can be good too!!!:angelic:

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i had 2 lemon drizzle buns yesterday and 1 today, but at least my daughter didn't put the lovely icing on mine. I have been craving a cake or a biscuit and getting really really fed up because everything looked to bad.

She made them with Stevia sugar as well.

So next time i can be bothered to bake i might try them using the ground almonds instead of the flour it might not be as bad.

To be honest normal people on normal diets can have little treats so why cant any of us. Everything in moderation as the saying goes.

I'm going on hols in just over 3 weeks all inclusive, so will try and be good, but will be drinking shorts, might have to buy my own slimline tonic though, but will be sacrificing cocktails, not eating spuds, and not eating pitta bread or the wraps on a chicken kebab and trying my best not to eat half a turkish lavash bread hubby will do well though he'll have loads to eat.

I think possibly we've all had a bit of a struggle this week. i've still not had takeaways, pizza, spuds, white bread, proper chips.

onwards and upwards as the saying goes x

Reactions: 3 people

fatgirl1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
i had 2 lemon drizzle buns yesterday and 1 today, but at least my daughter didn't put the lovely icing on mine. I have been craving a cake or a biscuit and getting really really fed up because everything looked to bad.

She made them with Stevia sugar as well.

So next time i can be bothered to bake i might try them using the ground almonds instead of the flour it might not be as bad.

To be honest normal people on normal diets can have little treats so why cant any of us. Everything in moderation as the saying goes.

I'm going on hols in just over 3 weeks all inclusive, so will try and be good, but will be drinking shorts, might have to buy my own slimline tonic though, but will be sacrificing cocktails, not eating spuds, and not eating pitta bread or the wraps on a chicken kebab and trying my best not to eat half a turkish lavash bread hubby will do well though he'll have loads to eat.

I think possibly we've all had a bit of a struggle this week. i've still not had takeaways, pizza, spuds, white bread, proper chips.

onwards and upwards as the saying goes x
Those lemon (un)drizzle buns sound good. Hope you have a lovely holiday, sometimes it's as tasty to just eat the filling in things rather than the wraps or bread that they come in - if in doubt shove it in a lettuce leaf and make a lettuce sandwich - who needs a Turkish kebab anyway?

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fortunately, I don't like solitary saturated fat enough to binge on it. Loads of unsweetened double cream on its own, no thanks. A little on a sugar -free jelly is fine. Clotted cream even. But cream in association with carbs, for example with jam on scone, the wonderful Cornish or Devon Cream Tea, is a no-no-never-never for me and I don't mind.
This is the key, I think, for me: satiated so that I RELAX and don't binge.

This is what stumped me about LCHF until I got used to the principles. Yes, I can have butter, but what can I have butter on? Toast? No. Sandwich? No. Cream I can have, but what do I have cream with? Sugar-free jelly, full-stop. Or a double espresso. In this way, LCHF is self-limiting - which is another good thing about it.
I am glad that works for you. I would make berry ice cream and eat it all. Or eat a large amount of cheese. So it is not that simple for me. I took the advice to eat the high fat until satiated too literally. I never feel that I have eaten enough. So I messed up pretty badly on LCHF.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fortunately, I don't like solitary saturated fat enough to binge on it. Loads of unsweetened double cream on its own, no thanks.

Thank you for trying to answer my question.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Different answer for different people.

At an indoor dive in Belgium, was it the french stick, or all the camembert, roquefort, and pate I had with it, that I'd picked up at the supermarket on the drive over?

Tron2112

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Mini binge todAy - 300ml of yeo cherry yoghurt, 25g pack of ready salted crisps, flowed by large bowl of Kellogg's corn flakes with milk.

The cereal at seem like a weird binge food, but before I was diagnosed I was a total cereal monster. Huge bowl for brekkies and sometimes a bowl for dinner. After diagnosis I found that cereal gets my BG higher and faster than anything else I eat including chocolate bars or doughnuts. Will test in half an hour to see what effect the binge has had.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Robbity, well at least you used 2 slices of rye bread, not spread it on an all butter pastry!
@seaspray1998 I discovered that rye anything can also be a no-no for me. The bread was quite evil in that it had sneaked some wheat flour in it too. Butter - no problem!!

Robbity

PS Re what can you spread butter on as a low carber: most of my butter is now eaten cooked in low carb scones, muffins, shortcake, etc, or used for cooking, but it does also get spread on some low carb bakes was well.

andybee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You will be pleased to know that today I am being very very good - so far today 1 dish of olives with garlic cloves and Sun dried tomatoes, small portion of shredded beetroot and carrot salad, 2 mattessonsTurkey rashers and cucumber slices dipped in salsa. For tea it will be homemade mackerel pate on crackers - see I can be good too!!!:angelic:
Sounds like a nice starter - enjoy!

kmwa

Dislikes
olives, stilton, salt, anti social behaviour, the wifes ex husband, oops, he's dead now.
Believe it or not, I actually forgot I had diabetes while on holiday (clearly I was having too much fun ;)) and I managed to eat/drink a strawberry and nutella waffle, three scoops of ice cream, a large bubble tea, three slices of watermelon, eight chicken nuggets and half of someone's fries before I remembered.

jesus!

kmwa

Dislikes
olives, stilton, salt, anti social behaviour, the wifes ex husband, oops, he's dead now.
Mini binge todAy - 300ml of yeo cherry yoghurt, 25g pack of ready salted crisps, flowed by large bowl of Kellogg's corn flakes with milk.

The cereal at seem like a weird binge food, but before I was diagnosed I was a total cereal monster. Huge bowl for brekkies and sometimes a bowl for dinner. After diagnosis I found that cereal gets my BG higher and faster than anything else I eat including chocolate bars or doughnuts. Will test in half an hour to see what effect the binge has had.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yeah, cereal is bad lol. i got hooked on a huge bowl of rice crispies with loads of milk, then huge mug of milky tea, luckily, didn't last too long and now back on track :)

smeneley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Confession time (well it is Sunday after all) - I have just had the most glorious and delicious binge! An almond Magnum ice cream, a Ripple, 2 packets of crisps,6 crackers with cheese, 4 peanut cookies and 2 glasses of wine followed by an enormous dose of insulin to counteract all the sugar. Sometimes I just can't help myself - not proud- luckily I don't do it too often and I always end up feeling guilty but ohhhh it does taste good. God bless the inventor of insulin pens!! Hope everyone has a lovely Sunday x x x x

smeneley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think a binge once in awhile hurts anyone.I had pizza and beer yesterday.Back to low carbohydrates today.A1C came back 6.8 down from 7.3 no meds yet check again in 3months...I am happy..

fatgirl1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don't think a binge once in awhile hurts anyone.I had pizza and beer yesterday.Back to low carbohydrates today.A1C came back 6.8 down from 7.3 no meds yet check again in 3months...I am happy..
Sometimes I think a little bit of what you fancy does you good - as long as it is only a little bit! Personally I think that as diabetics we can be overly and sometimes harshly critical of ourselves and all that self control that we exercise can make us feel neglected, so a little bit of forbidden luxury can often make us feel a whole lot better and ready to tackle anything!!
:D

smeneley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally agree. Sometimes when my numbers are high, and I know or thought I did really well that day I feel horrible and guilty wondering what I have done..Hate that Diabetes is on my mind 24\7 exhausting....

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
If you binge you have no right to whinge. you know what you should be doing and if you ignore it, its your own fault.