just had a binge (couldnt help myself)

fatgirl1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't look after their pets
I had to keep a food diary for a week as my nurse wanted it so she could try and correct my insulin ratios, however one particular day I was so fed up with work I came home and had 2 slices peanut butter on toast, followed then by the remainder of said peanut butter with a spoon... She was "shocked" I think is the only word to describe her face! My name is Laura and I love peanut butter <3
I think the good Lord will be seriously impressed with the number of confessions today. Hopefully there will be no diabetes in Heaven:angelic::angelic:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I'm close to heaven
crushed at the gate
they sharpen their knives
on my mistakes ....

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Talking of binges, why do they happen? I don't ever binge now, I'm too scared to anyway, but, in days past, when I pretended that Diabetes should take a seat at the back of the hall and keep quiet, and really did the minimum to look after myself, I would occasionally binge, and it was always stress that caused it. Not that I disliked the stuff I was bingeing on, but while bingeing I felt out of control, not good, nor happy nor glad of an hour off! :):(

Reactions: 3 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to admit that I enjoyed a good binge pre-diabetes diagnosis but have managed until fairly recently to hold out and avoid temptation. My biggest sins so far (apart from one which came under the heading of a scientific diabetic experiment so didn't actually count :joyful:, where I ate two slices of rye bread slathered with a couple of tablespoonfuls of Nutella) - have been twice to raid the stem ginger in syrup jar and sneak a piece with a spoonful of syrup - but then spend the next couple or so hours testing to see what I'm doing to my glucose levels... I'm not sure that I actually need to do much penance as well as having that HUGE guilty feeling :( I had for a fairly trivial misdemeanour.

Initially (though I had a real fear of needles & injecting) I did envy and even resent the fact that type 1s appeared to be able to eat a "normal" diet, but pottering around the forum has opened my eyes to the effort all you "lucky" people have to put into balancing food, etc, and your insulin.

Robbity

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Binge eaters you are not alone!

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Only on a Sunday when all the planet's are purrfectly aligned, there is bog all on the telly, I have the house to myself and I have used up all my lives on Candy Crush - my name is Lorraine and I am a Candy Crush addict (just realised, aptly named game for a diabetic to play)
Candy crush addict!!! I used to say that when I used to play it ...My name is Lesley and I'm a Candy Crush Addict .. and I partly blame that game for giving me insulin resistance .. I used to play it and get urges for sweets .. on the ones where the squares of chocolate appear ... i'd go out and buy a family block of that Cadbury chocolate with the jelly bits in ... Cadbury's Joyville or something .. and scoff the lot!

Reactions: 2 people

fatgirl1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Talking of binges, why do they happen? I don't ever binge now, I'm too scared to anyway, but, in days past, when I pretended that Diabetes should take a seat at the back of the hall and keep quiet, and really did the minimum to look after myself, I would occasionally binge, and it was always stress that caused it. Not that I disliked the stuff I was bingeing on, but while bingeing I felt out of control, not good, nor happy nor glad of an hour off! :):(
Personally. I think it's because I spend so much of my life under strict control that occasionally it just feels good to lose it:woot:

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Personally. I think it's because I spend so much of my life under strict control that occasionally it just feels good to lose it:woot:
Well, they say binging is the result of restriction ... for me it's carb addiction. I am like an alcoholic with junk food .. people say to me 'one won't hurt' but that's the problem ...'just one' turns into 3 more and then onto something else and something else and something else .. until tummy is bursting, hate myself, why do I do it etc. People are either moderators or abstainers .. I'm an abstainer, best for me to have none cos 'just one' is never enough :-(

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm an abstainer too. Everyone marvels at how strict my eating patterns are now but I can't just stop at one of something. But, my goodness, I could binge before, no control or stop button.
X

Reactions: 3 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've found that LCHF actually gets rid of carb addiction. I couldn't be more surprised - I thought I'd never completely lose the desire to eat junk when stressed. For some reason, sufficient saturated fat (not huge amounts) gives me the satiety, energy and calm that carbs never did!

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ahh so glad I've seen this. My name is Abbie and yesterday I had a binge. Me step mam done a 'strawberry tea' breast cancer fundraising do, ya no how ya go to a party n there's a buffet, she had one of those apart from the buffet table was cake, only cake, about 10 different types, I done a big bolus and went for it... My meter wasn't impressed with me a little later, for the rest of the day in fact... But I also had a glass of pimms so personally I think that's what tipped me over :D

fatgirl1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ahh so glad I've seen this. My name is Abbie and yesterday I had a binge. Me step mam done a 'strawberry tea' breast cancer fundraising do, ya no how ya go to a party n there's a buffet, she had one of those apart from the buffet table was cake, only cake, about 10 different types, I done a big bolus and went for it... My meter wasn't impressed with me a little later, for the rest of the day in fact... But I also had a glass of pimms so personally I think that's what tipped me over :D
We know it's wrong and we know we will probably suffer for it later but knowing that a few of us partake in a little self indulgence once in a while can make all those days of strict self control worth the while- God bless us all and long may we prosper!!!!:happy:

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've found that LCHF actually gets rid of carb addiction. I couldn't be more surprised - I thought I'd never completely lose the desire to eat junk when stressed. For some reason, sufficient saturated fat (not huge amounts) gives me the satiety, energy and calm that carbs never did!
So what about when the binge is high fat, like cream? It doesn't have to be just carbs that are the rogues in binge behaviour.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We know it's wrong and we know we will probably suffer for it later but knowing that a few of us partake in a little self indulgence once in a while can make all those days of strict self control worth the while- God bless us all and long may we prosper!!!!:happy:

It is when the once in a while becomes once in a day that the problems start.

seaspray1998

Lolol - I cant tell you the utter torment and having to wrench myself away from the fridge section when I see a whole big trifle reduced to only 40p

Reactions: 8 people

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Lolol - I cant tell you the utter torment and having to wrench myself away from the fridge section when I see a whole big trifle reduced to only 40p
Too funny ..... the other day I was looking at these packets of doughnuts reduced to 90c ... and I sooo wanted to buy them; the dumb thing is they were the cinnamon rings that I don't even like, it's just I can't resist a bargain! Now, if they had been the jam ball ones ..... I might have succumbed!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok. Have to stop reading this thread now, you are giving me too many ideas.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
In the 'old days' I would buy a king size bag of corn chips and delude myself into thinking I hadn't eaten them all because I had given a few to the dog :-(