Just had a operation..

Alan696

Had a 16cm cyist removed from my pancreas and my gallbladder out. They put me on a sliding scale? For my t1d and adjust my set does from 14-18-18 noverapid/ and 38 lantus. To 4-4-4-16 not really eating much at the minute but leaves around 22-32 not sure what to do any help,,,,,,

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hm. Sliding Scale use is best avoided as many nurses using it haven't a clue or the time to manage it. I always insist on managing my own insulin and testing but am happy for the staff to test whenever they want and discuss anything. If it was me I would ask them to stop the sliding scale, give me my insulin back and let me do it, but I don't know the full circumstances surrounding your treatment so shouldn't really comment other than suggesting you ask the staff to adjust to get below a sensible BS level.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a 16cm cyist removed from my pancreas and my gallbladder out. They put me on a sliding scale? For my t1d and adjust my set does from 14-18-18 noverapid/ and 38 lantus. To 4-4-4-16 not really eating much at the minute but leaves around 22-32 not sure what to do any help,,,,,,

How long have you been type 1? Aren't you familiar with the sick day rules? If you're 20+ are you testing for ketones?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Well, you cant do much if they leave you on a sluding scale..

However, you should be calling a nurse and asking them to adjust the insulin going through it... and do this urgently.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If you are on a sliding scale I am assuming that you are not back to injecting yourself yet?

If you are comfortable with sick day rules and sorting out your own levels then you can ask to be allowed to sort yourself out-although with high levels they are unlikely to give you control back for a while.

Many hospitals put people on sliding scales for operations needing full anesthetic in case something goes wrong in the op or delays happen... so this is not unusual.. and nothing for you to worry about because you were put on a sliding scale. Operations on gallbladders/pancreas can be complicated and they will have wanted to ensure you were ok during op. During an op if anything goes wrong they would not want to be faffing around getting a drip in...

Most important is that you tell the night staff that you are really concerned at your blood levels and would they check that drip is working properly, set correctly and adjystments made now...