Just had an email with 'advice' about snacking from Patient Access

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
OMG, they might just have said "spoon a large portion of cyanide into your coffee".

Toast a teacake, top with sliced banana and maple syrup????????

Different types of bread.....

Dang, snacks wise, why no cubes of cheese, peanuts, olives, almonds, natural yog etc, small salad???

Reactions: Geoffno6

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are these people really trying to help diabetics or make them worse Bananas spike me never mind the toast and syrup !!!
Carol

Reactions: Geoffno6

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was just reading that!
I’ve sent some feedback via their contact us!
“How can it possibly be right to recommend high carbohydrate (bread, teacakes, popcorn and noodles), high fructose (bananas) and high sugar (maple syrup) products as snacks for Type 2 diabetics? Then mushing up fruit in a milkshake which hastens the absorption of the fructose, shooting blood sugar up rapidly. All of these products would raise my blood sugars (I am Type 2) above an acceptable level!”

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"Just mix milk." One may as well open a bottle of ale.. Nice advice.
No real mention of insulin dosage adjustment or timing of dose to menus...

"Pop your own corn. Flavour with salt and pepper, a little sugar, a sprinkle of paprika or even a little finely grated parmesan."

Are they talking a snack, or a tasty hypo treatment...? :banghead:

Reactions: MikeStrutter

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just read this and laughed all the way through, if they had set out to advise people of the exact opposite of what to do, they have been successful. Little Mia and her 20 mars bars a day?, well no wonder she was ill the greedy little devil. Roy and his digestives?, well surely that's preferable to bananas and a gallon of maple syrup. Seriously, it makes you want to cry, they are signing all patients up to this service and that is what they send out to diabetics and for everyone else to read? I think it is criminal, it's like sending out an e mail to those with an allergy to nuts and telling them to start snacking on chocolate brazils. I get having to eat when you are low but if you had the amount of snacks they are suggesting, I am sure most of us would be fat with extremely high glucose levels.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"Just mix milk." One may as well open a bottle of ale.. Nice advice.
No real mention of insulin dosage adjustment or timing of dose to menus...

"Pop your own corn. Flavour with salt and pepper, a little sugar, a sprinkle of paprika or even a little finely grated parmesan."

Are they talking a snack, or a tasty hypo treatment...? :banghead:

I am laughing out loud at this! I can just imagine trying to make popcorn in the middle of a hypo. Where's that parmesan!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was just reading that!
I’ve sent some feedback via their contact us!
“How can it possibly be right to recommend high carbohydrate (bread, teacakes, popcorn and noodles), high fructose (bananas) and high sugar (maple syrup) products as snacks for Type 2 diabetics? Then mushing up fruit in a milkshake which hastens the absorption of the fructose, shooting blood sugar up rapidly. All of these products would raise my blood sugars (I am Type 2) above an acceptable level!”

Rachox, I fully agree, it would send us all off to the hospital. Absolutely ridiculous.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is tragic is that a Doctor wrote it, and people all over will read it and think ‘yum! I am being told to eat all those sweet starch carby things...’

Lumping generalised advice without specific detail for different diabetic types is negligent. And telling type 2s that if they are on certain meds they must snack or risk hypos... er... NO! Adjust the dose downwards before telling them to stuff carbs.

Apart from anything else, when did a teacake + banana + maple syrup become a snack?!? That is bigger than a breakfast for me.
And when I was drinking smoothies (mainly veg, minimal fruit) they were meals in themselves. 200mls was a work lunch.
Then 100g of dry noodles + veg + ham is a main course.

Last edited:

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I reckon the banana, syrup and teacake is a minimum of 5 units of insulin for me if it were a "snack" at home. (I unit to 10g carbs) Which is more insulin than I'd have for most main meals.

Might make a good pre-10 miles walk snack, though.

Edited to add - actually, make it nearer to 8 or 9 units. I'd originally thought of half the tea-cake for a snack and a small banana. If I had the whole tea-cake... Just off to sleep off the hyper from the mere thought!

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just read this and laughed all the way through, if they had set out to advise people of the exact opposite of what to do, they have been successful. Little Mia and her 20 mars bars a day?, well no wonder she was ill the greedy little devil. Roy and his digestives?, well surely that's preferable to bananas and a gallon of maple syrup. Seriously, it makes you want to cry, they are signing all patients up to this service and that is what they send out to diabetics and for everyone else to read? I think it is criminal, it's like sending out an e mail to those with an allergy to nuts and telling them to start snacking on chocolate brazils. I get having to eat when you are low but if you had the amount of snacks they are suggesting, I am sure most of us would be fat with extremely high glucose levels.

With the "case" of little Mia. (As Dr Lowth's example in the "advice.") The child's mother was T1 too?
So there was a fear of hypo transference from the mum, turning it into a generational comfort eating issue.. At a guess.

This looks like the same 'ol eat carbs to feed the dose. From the "T1 handbook" back in my day, there is no mention of insulin adjustment or timing with the recommended low fat & frutose is OK cuz it ain't sugar mantra..

There simply is nothing ground breaking & new in the link. My meter says otherwise. & I've just time traveled back 40 years in the duration of reading it...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Avoid “butter” on toast??? But no mention of what the bread does or jam?? And demonising butter???

Interesting that nurse tested in hospital on the older gentleman and getting results 12-17?? Bet he didn’t get a blood testing kit to go home with though!!

desidiabulum

I loved the bit 'Avoid hidden 'extras' such as butter on toast or sugar syrup on tinned fruit.' Yes -- that butter is far more dangerous than the toast it's spread on. Avoid hidden sugar syrup in tinned fruit -- best to go for unhidden maple syrup on a banana on a teacake (how many carbs there?).
It's laughable but coming from a doctor as specific advice I actually think this is pure evil -- any ideas about how these people can be shamed and disgraced for increasing the chances of people getting health complications from diabetes? (apart from wishing on them the treatment that diabetics following their advice will end up having to endure)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Avoid “butter” on toast??? But no mention of what the bread does or jam?? And demonising butter???

Interesting that nurse tested in hospital on the older gentleman and getting results 12-17?? Bet he didn’t get a blood testing kit to go home with though!!
Yep. I tend to avoid the toast and jam and just have butter...

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find these types of snacks to be helpful...
15178953_1841031362807988_600113816017847712_n.jpg

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
My dad is in the "how come you don't fit the type" camp with my Prediabetes, he is reading this type of rubbish, trusting it as its written by doctors and thinks he can help. It is so hard to see him trying his hardest to help (as any parent no matter your age) but i'm having to knock him back saying he is wrong.

Its criminal.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I received it this morning, started reading then deleted. It wasn't suitable for any diabetic. What kind of idiot writes drivel like that?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This is just not funny. What part of the 'make snacks interesting' isn't part of the modern western diet?

Someone should actually be prosecuted for advising a person with Diabetes to eat a toasted teacake with banana and maple syrup. Even before diagnosis I would have deemed that too sweet and too unhealthy.

I totally give up on the medical professionals.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Furthermore, a toated teacake as above with a hot drink is a meal not a snack. Getting really mad now!