Just how much does 500mg x2 of Metformin burn in 24 hrs?

justconfused

Hi,

Just wondering whether anyone can say how much of carbs intake turning into sugar would 500 mg of Metformin burn/regulate the BG? I am on low carb - no rice, no pasta, no white sugar/flour stuff, no potatoes and root vegs, keeping low GI foods intake with an occasional half slice of brown bread and jumbo porridge. I really don't know why I am getting lows so often. I wonder whether anyone has had this experience. I don't want to eat carbs as my BG levels have been good so far and I am constantly losing weight which feels great ! Only the 2nd stage of it seem a bit stagnant at the moment, but from readings, this is expected. So, not so worried.
Is there any possibility that I could ever go back to 'normal' again ? that I could be off medication at all? that I could eat a slice of bread without worrying of the consequences ?
I am feeling much better after losing weight and all pains have gone !!! looking in the mirror sends me back the picture of myself a few years away when I was healthy, slim and well. I want to reach that but although I am looking better, the lingering thought of always being a Diabetic somehow does not tally.

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Metformin has a half life of around six hours.

Each of us reacts differently to the medication we're given so it would be difficult to say how much Metformin improves your position. If you are going low then it could be that your insulin resistance has improved and that you need less Metformin to help. Have a chat with your GP.

The same thing has happened to me, I was on three 500mg Metformin/day, and I was waking in the wee hours of the morning with very low BG readings. I agreed with my GP to reduce my Metformin.

Regards, Tubs.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Justconfused,

Metformin itself doesn't reduce blood sugar - what it does is reduce insulin resistance so that your body's insulin works more efficiently in dealing with BS. It's not possible to say exactly what the impact of the metformin would be because that would depend on how much insulin resistance your body has.