Just introducing myself

NeveRCook

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brussels sprouts, people who abuse animals
Hi everyone

Just joined the forum. Have been diagnosed for approx two years. There is some doubt as to whether I am type 1 or 2. Is there any way of telling. I assume with a blood test, am I entitled to ask for this to be done? I do not suffer good health, am very overweight and have many complications due to this. I also suffer mental health problems and have recently been admitted to hospital due to this. I would love some support from the diabetic community, just knowing I'm not alone would be a great help.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Hi and welcome Neve!:)

Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time both physically and mentally,mental health problems have always been a part of my life and I have my good patches and not so good patches that can happen very quickly and for no reason.I try and get by the best I can.
As for whether you're type 1 or type 2,you are correct that blood tests are required,one called a c-peptide test which can give an indication of how much natural insulin your body is producing,the 2nd test looks for specific antibodies that can be seen with patients with type 1 diabetes or type 1.5 diabetes which is often a slower progressive form of type 1 that can happen at any age-the tests are expensive for the NHS which is why some doctors are reluctant to do them but if your blood levels are not very good despite diet,exercise and oral medication I would urge you to really put pressure on your doctor to have them done.

Best wishes

Paul

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome; you are certainly not alone! Paul is right about the tests that can be done but as you say you are overweight then the probability is that you are a T2 with insulin resistance. If thru exercise and diet your blood sugar doesn't come down, then do ask for the tests. Most of us find that reducing the carbs in food helps both with weight and blood sugar so do set yourself a daily limit and use a meter to help guide you.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Hi and welcome,
As already said above i would try push for tests, what kind of blood results do u have? are u on diabetic meds,,sorry to hear about your mental health i suffered a breakdown over 10yrs ago and suffered terribly with depression and anxiety for quite a few yrs so know how u feel:)