Just joined

Jet690

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone. I just joined the forum. I have type 2 diabetis. Which is controlled at the moment because of my low carb diet. Though I think I have rheumatoid arthritis which my doctor have yet to check. Is there any medication other than steroid for arthritis? Thank you all

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that cutting out all dairy gave me back the use of my hands, and sorted out my left hip... On days where I accidentally do eat some (restaurants aren't always clear), I use some extra CBD oil dropped under the tongue to fight the inflammation. I really didn't want to take steroids as I see what long-term use did to my mom (She has Cushing's because of it), and so far, so good. A few years ago I couldn't turn a key in a lock or brush my hair because my fingers hurt too much, and now... Pain-free. Sadly, CBD is self-funded, but should you stop eating dairy you might not need it after about a month. It's a pain as it makes getting a filling low carb meal on the table a little harder, but so far it's been doable. I'm aware CBD isn't for everyone by the way, being a cannabis derivative, but you can't get high off it or anything. Took me a while to look past the stigma & try it, but whatever works (without side effects!!!) is welcome in my home. Good luck!

Reactions: ringi

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Jet690
A lot of people find that by cutting out most of the carbs in the diet inflammatory diseases like RA can reduce greatly (and in some cases go away completely). You might want to take a look at www.ketogenicforums.com where there are quite a few threads about this. It is a very good resource and full of knowledgable people just like here.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im also dairy intolerant and have found that since returning to an wating regime that excludes dairy ( and some other foods to which Ive been diagnosed as intolerant to), some of my aching jjoints have improved. Over the same time frame, my sugars have also been flatter and lower.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My joints have improved significantly since I gave up gluten, so it is worth trying different foods to see what works.

Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune condition, where the patient's own immune system is part of the problem. So anything (like food intolerances, or other inflammation) can contribute to the situation.

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Jet690. First you need to get your diagnosis sorted and find out for sure if you do have RA or not. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence around regarding diet and the use of cannabis oil around but very little in the way of decent quality research to back that up. You already eat low carb because of your diabetes so if it helps well and good. Cannabis oil is a different ball game and the use of it in this country would not be recognised by rheumatologists. Regarding your question, long term steroid use in RA is pretty much to be avoided if at all possible but there are lots of other treatments available from oral meds to biologic therapies, which give remission and improve your quality of life no end. I work in rheumatology and most of our patients use steroids only as rescue treatment when in flare though we do have some, particularly patients who were started on steroid many years ago, who do require long term treatment. So in a nutshell, get your diagnosis, trial and error for diet if it helps that's good, and keep positive there is so much that can be done these days. Hope that helps.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, as Lally stated... CBD wasn't perscribed by a doc, I just tried that on my own (did tell my gp and she's taking notes) and liked the result. So it's just a suggestion from someone who doesn't have anything to ho on but what she tried & tested, and my body isn't yours, so who knows whether it'd work. (Cdb also lowers bloodsugars in some people, btw... I'm one of them.) The dairy was suggested as a second opinion by Dr Tisscher here in the Netherlands, when my original rheumatologist and I didn't see eye to eye about, well, anything, really. His collegues seem to think he's a little odd in his methods, but his idea made a world of difference for me. (I have long-ish hair after years of short hair. I can brush it again!)

Jet690

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that cutting out all dairy gave me back the use of my hands, and sorted out my left hip... On days where I accidentally do eat some (restaurants aren't always clear), I use some extra CBD oil dropped under the tongue to fight the inflammation. I really didn't want to take steroids as I see what long-term use did to my mom (She has Cushing's because of it), and so far, so good. A few years ago I couldn't turn a key in a lock or brush my hair because my fingers hurt too much, and now... Pain-free. Sadly, CBD is self-funded, but should you stop eating dairy you might not need it after about a month. It's a pain as it makes getting a filling low carb meal on the table a little harder, but so far it's been doable. I'm aware CBD isn't for everyone by the way, being a cannabis derivative, but you can't get high off it or anything. Took me a while to look past the stigma & try it, but whatever works (without side effects!!!) is welcome in my home. Good luck!
Thank you for your input. Much appreciated

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My mother uses Avocado Unsaponifiables capsules (available from USA) with Joint Ace with Collagen capsules (available from Super Drug or Boots)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I found that cutting out all dairy gave me back the use of my hands, and sorted out my left hip..

I used to know someone (from a mountain walking group) who had juvenile arthritis as a child at a level of having to use a wheelchair etc, when she cut out all dairy and eat a lot of oiler fish, she recovered. I don't know if she cut out all grains, but they would be on my list if I had arthritis. (She also avoided ALL processed food.)

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to confuse the issue @Jet690 , since going LCHF 20 months ago, the arthritis I used to get in my hands and feet has gone. However I eat a lot of dairy, cheese, cream etc. But my consumption of grain is very low (less than a portion per week). Shows we are all different!

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
I haven't taken any pain medication for my arthritis since going low carb.

Reactions: Rustytypin