Just out of hospital with dka

Lorlor93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, I got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, in November last year so I'm still newish to it all I guess. Recently I fort i has sickness bug, was being sick and couldn't keep nothing down, I checked my blood sugar and they were fine so didnt think much of it, until i done my ketones later in day, started at 1.1 and just kept going up. I was actually going into a dka. My diabetic nurse advised me to phone a ambulance and get to ane, so i did but they wouldnt send me one out. Eventually my diabetic nurse rang them and they came, i admitted to hospital, they sorted everything out and discharged me few days later. Now I feel so week, my arms legs my whole body feel so drained and tried, I've been checking my ketones since I've been discharged there still everywhere but not as high as they were, highest since I've been out 1.6 and lower 0.4. just wondered how long will it actually take to recover from dka?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, in November last year so I'm still newish to it all I guess. Recently I fort i has sickness bug, was being sick and couldn't keep nothing down, I checked my blood sugar and they were fine so didnt think much of it, until i done my ketones later in day, started at 1.1 and just kept going up. I was actually going into a dka. My diabetic nurse advised me to phone a ambulance and get to ane, so i did but they wouldnt send me one out. Eventually my diabetic nurse rang them and they came, i admitted to hospital, they sorted everything out and discharged me few days later. Now I feel so week, my arms legs my whole body feel so drained and tried, I've been checking my ketones since I've been discharged there still everywhere but not as high as they were, highest since I've been out 1.6 and lower 0.4. just wondered how long will it actually take to recover from dka?

LorLor - Sounds like you've been in the wars.

I'm neither T1 and I don't take insulin so don't have any personal experiences to offer you, but unfortunately lots of the T1s on here have experienced DKA at one stage or another. From what I read, it varies enormously how long it takes to get over things, so do try to be patient, and keep in touch with your diabetes team.

If you work, have you managed to go back to work, or is it a bit too early for that?

Hopefully someone with more experience than I will be along shortly.