just seen DN for first time

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
what fruit should i eat and what should i avoid?

The 2 best ones are raspberries and strawberries, plus of course olives and avocados. I also eat tomatoes. As a general rule, it is best to avoid tropical fruit, and to keep portion sizes down, plus best not to eat them as a stand alone snack - best to eat as part of a meal as a dessert.

manhattan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i think tomatoes are playing havic with my diverticulitis.. have a feeling bananas might be guilty as well.. and i love them both lol.. can still manage the strawberries lol

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i think tomatoes are playing havic with my diverticulitis.. have a feeling bananas might be guilty as well.. and i love them both lol.. can still manage the strawberries lol

Bananas are about the worst fruit possible for us because they release glucose very quickly and sharply - this is why you see athletes eating them between games (tennis players especially until they were allowed glucose tabs). They are also very insulinogenic. A small apple may be OK but you would need to test one and make your own mind up - which is why you need a meter.

manhattan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bananas are about the worst fruit possible for us because they release glucose very quickly and sharply - this is why you see athletes eating them between games (tennis players especially until they were allowed glucose tabs). They are also very insulinogenic. A small apple may be OK but you would need to test one and make your own mind up - which is why you need a meter.
in a way i hoped the DN would’ve said yes to a meter.. we get them free up in Scotland.. plus she would’ve shown me how to use it.. a bit reticent to get one due to that reason.. would have to buy one.. strips.. needles.. don’t know how to use it or when i should use it during the day

Reactions: francesk

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a very general rule I aim for foods under 10g per 100g but that is a very genreal rule as I mostly eat foods well below that.
The genreal advise I was given was - eat foods that grow above ground, eat foods that are not exotic i.e. can be grown in Europe BUT this is genereal advise only as some of the belw gorund stuff is good too.

Strawbs, raspberreis, balckberries come in as 4/5g per 100g
Oranges/Satsumas are about 14g per 100
apples are about 15g per 100
Blueberriesare about 14/15g per 100g
Grapes are 16g per 100
and bananas are about 23-25g per 100 and most bananas will weigh more than this.

As you can see bananas are quite carb heavy which is what I am trying to avoid. These numbers are from memory so they may not be quite exact.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@manhattan Please read the leaflet with the bendroflumethazide, it says in bold letters - decreased carbohydrate tolerance or words to that effect.

Reactions: Prem51

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
really appreciate your reply.. my problem is underlying health problems.. microvascular angina.. high bp.. asthma.. ckd stage 3.. NAFLD and diverticulitis.. DN said diabetes could have affect on conditions and vice versa.. so I need to do my best to control diabetes and not let HBA1c level rise
Ah Manhattan, I think I can give you some further pointers then.
I have had atrial fibrillation since my mid 20's. It got a lot worse two years ago and I was put on 5 mg Bisoprolol a day. Bisoprolol is proven to raise BG, but I wasn't told that. Since I have been on the LCD the fibrillation has almost gone. I say almost as I very occasionally get a slight heart flutter, but it's not as bad as it was in my 20's. My GP has reluctantly agreed for me to drop the Bisoprolol to 1.25mg per day.
I have had asthma all my life. I was taking four puffs of a steroid inhaler every day and it only just kept my asthma in check. Now three months on my asthma has almost gone. I take one puff every other day, more to keep my GP happy than anything else. He is worried I will have a major attack, but so far so good.
I have had irritable bowel syndrome since my 20's and had to go to the loo for no2's up to six times a day. It has now completely gone. I now go once maybe twice a day at most.
I had an enlarged prostate and a high and rising PSA reading of 6. I was retested last week and the reading has fallen to a more normal 4.2.
How have I done all this:
I eat no bread, rice, pasta, flour and veg that grows underground. I eat no sugary foods including fruit. I eat meat, fish, cheese, cream, green veg, tomatoes, peppers, nuts and seeds. I don't go out of my way to eat fat, but I do eat butter, avocados, olive oil, nuts and seeds quite freely. I have stopped drinking alcohol (which turned out to be the easiest thing of all). I walk at 4mph for 30 minutes each day and ride my bike for a further 30 minutes. I referee rugby matches twice a week which ??I have done for years. (Madness now I'm 63). I work out with hand weights twice a week.
It's hard work, but I have stuck to it. My BMI is down from 28.7 to 25 and I now weigh 12 stone 6 pounds.
When you think about it, I'm doing what we are all told we should do (apart from the refereeing). I now eat healthily and I exercise moderately. I should be able to stick with it long term and if I can, I hope I will be medication free. Hopefully, that will give you some motivation to do the same Manhattan. Good luck if you do.

Reactions: DavidK59 and Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
in a way i hoped the DN would’ve said yes to a meter.. we get them free up in Scotland.. plus she would’ve shown me how to use it.. a bit reticent to get one due to that reason.. would have to buy one.. strips.. needles.. don’t know how to use it or when i should use it during the day

Please don't worry about how to use the meter and when to use it. The vast majority of us on here use them, have been doing for a long time, and are very efficient at it, so we will all jump in to help you. You don't need a nurse to show you, and it isn't rocket science.

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here and the meter is free.
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Have you tried roughage for your diverticulitis? The softer your stools the less likely you are to suffer (I don't have it but my brother does and it worked for him)

Reactions: manhattan

manhattan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please don't worry about how to use the meter and when to use it. The vast majority of us on here use them, have been doing for a long time, and are very efficient at it, so we will all jump in to help you. You don't need a nurse to show you, and it isn't rocket science.

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here and the meter is free.
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)
shoud i choose mmol or mg?

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
what fruit should i eat and what should i avoid?

The thing about food and testing is that it will effect differently people differently (which sorta sounds a bit "Well, duh..." but isn't!) so one person might be able to snack on berries (which do add some nice variety if you're having a sweet tooth day), while another person could find that their BG spikes into the high heavens.

Similarly, times of day could bring different results: if I try a bit of grapefruit (a real weakness of mine) before around midday, my BG will spike into the 20's (typically under 6) for hours. But, early evening it'll peak at around 12 and that will drop off quickly.

You won't know which foods your body tolerates well and which you struggle with until you test before and 2 hours after you eat it. This information isn't obsessive or superfluous but empowering and necessary if you're to really get your condition by the horns. An HbA1c simply won't give you a food-by-food, meal-by-meal analysis of how your body reacts to foods you enjoy and may want to treat yourself to or eat on a regular basis.

Also: Everything @Bluetit1802 said!

And a final PS about sites like Diet Doctor: In the US, dietary fibre (roughage) is counted in with the carbs, while in the UK we separate it out of the carb total. Do bear that in mind when you want to quickly google which food contains what. All major UK supermarkets publish the nutritional content of everything they stock online (except booze, annoyingly), and that's a much more reliable (and easy to grasp) source of information.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Leave out the toast and probably that triangular thing, cut the baked beans down to a tablespoonful and your avatar shows an ideal low carb breakfast.
and the black pudding sadly at 17.5 per 100 it would need to be see through thin. no bury proper puds. assuming thats haggis next to it they are 16.7 unless its white pudding they are 31. potato cakes 13 and lorn sausage 18.6 now with a little switching you can have a decent fry up at nearly zero.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
(NAFLD is fat on the liver, and is often the first stage in Type2 diabetes)

This was my thinking when I needed to remove the fat from my liver, I got it down form “The GP is panicking” to “normal levels” within 2 months.
  • We know that alcohol is directly converted into liver fat, therefore no alcohol at all until your GCT is normal.
  • We know that fructose is directly converted into liver fat, therefore no fruit juice at all until your GCT is normal.
  • We know that dried fruit contains a lot of fructose therefore….. (Dates are VERY bad)
  • We know that most fruit contains a lot of fructose, therefore no fruit other than a few berries….
  • Half of table sugar is fructose; therefore no food or drinks with added sugar….
  • The total sugar content in all the foods you eat/drink in a day should be under 5g, hence you can’t eat any ready meals, or takeaways etc until your GCT is back to normal.
Then we are on to what we know will help losing liver fat and you have two options to choose between.
  • Very low carb, with no bread, flour, pasta, below ground veg etc – personally I think it is best to go for as low a carb intake as you can then consider increasing your carbs once your GCT are back to normal levels. (If you want a book “A New Akson For a New You” and keep to the first two phases of the diet until your GCT are normal.)
  • Or “very low calorie diet” being the Newcastle Diet, LighterLife or the “8 Week Blood Sugar Diet” – but people often undo the benefits when they go back to normal eating less they limit their carb intake. (The first two use pre-packed “shakes”, the “8 Week Blood Sugar Diet” use real food.)

All the above will result in a drop in BG, therefore if you are on any drugs with a risk of Hypos, you need to carefully monitor your BG and get your GP to reduce the dose as your BG comes down. Likewise with high blood pressure.

----------

Exercise will also help a little but will do nothing without a radical change in diet.
  • Don’t remain sitting for more than 20 minutes at a time, just standing up and walking 2 or 3 steps has benefits.
  • A 10 minutes walk after each meal will help.
  • Resistance training and HIIT are the best options if are able and willing to use a gym.

manhattan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The thing about food and testing is that it will effect differently people differently (which sorta sounds a bit "Well, duh..." but isn't!) so one person might be able to snack on berries (which do add some nice variety if you're having a sweet tooth day), while another person could find that their BG spikes into the high heavens.

Similarly, times of day could bring different results: if I try a bit of grapefruit (a real weakness of mine) before around midday, my BG will spike into the 20's (typically under 6) for hours. But, early evening it'll peak at around 12 and that will drop off quickly.

You won't know which foods your body tolerates well and which you struggle with until you test before and 2 hours after you eat it. This information isn't obsessive or superfluous but empowering and necessary if you're to really get your condition by the horns. An HbA1c simply won't give you a food-by-food, meal-by-meal analysis of how your body reacts to foods you enjoy and may want to treat yourself to or eat on a regular basis.

Also: Everything @Bluetit1802 said!

And a final PS about sites like Diet Doctor: In the US, dietary fibre (roughage) is counted in with the carbs, while in the UK we separate it out of the carb total. Do bear that in mind when you want to quickly google which food contains what. All major UK supermarkets publish the nutritional content of everything they stock online (except booze, annoyingly), and that's a much more reliable (and easy to grasp) source of information.
so sticking to low carb figures is the most important factor.. ?