just seen DN for first time

manhattan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
saw DN for first time today.. as my HBA1c is 53mmol will be diet controlled .. no medication necessary unless HBA1c reaches 58... also no blood
monitor testing necessary as again just diet controlled.. feet tested.. all good.. just keep an eye on dry skin and keep it moisturised..eat plenty fruit and veg.. carbs in moderation.. and try to eat less sugar. all in all advice given seemed ok.. wasn’t weighed but will receive hospital appointment to have eyes checked..appt scheduled for 6 months but don’t hesitate coming back if i think i need more help or advice

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
She is following the correct care pathway as recommended by NICE, although most surgeries give you a second appointment and blood test at 3 months rather than 6 months just to keep an eye on things.

Are you going to take her advice on testing not necessary, and to eat plenty of fruit?

Reactions: dbr10 and manhattan

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was just thinking how good my skin was looking - I am over a year from diagnosis and have been doing low carb ever since, and I have no dry skin, my hair - although rather thin, is dark and glossy.
I do eat a little fruit - mostly frozen mixtures, a small cup rather than a bow,. with cream, but I avoid starchy foods as much as possible, but do eat lots of salads and lower carb veges - also lots of eggs, cheese, meat and fish. I feel great.

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
53 is OK - my was 52 was I was diagnosed last June. We are fortunate as we are not on any meds at the moment.

Carbs in moderation? eat fruit! reduce sugar!What does that mean? Why would you eat sugar and fruit (more sugar) if you are Diabetic? It sounds like the genric advice I was given.

To be fair, I followed the NHS Eat well guides when I was first diagnosed and it did help to initially drop my HbA1C (from 52 to 48) but 3 months after swictching to a Low carb (75g or less per day) , my HbA1c is now 44. Makes me wonder if I would have achieve a drop from 52 to 44 months earlier by reducing my Carbs.

In hindsight I would have reduced my carbs, understaood what fruit I can eat and how much and stripped out all the sugar I could from my diet, luckily I found this out within a few months of being diagnosed but I do feel cheated as I could have redcued my HbA1C much quicker.

D

Deleted Account

Carbs in moderation? eat fruit! reduce sugar!What does that mean? Why would you eat sugar and fruit (more sugar) if you are Diabetic?
I interpret this advice as "cut down on empty sugar: the kind of food such as sugary drinks which add nothing apart from sugar (and caffeine) to your diet and eat fruit in moderation as it also provides additional vitamins, minerals, fibre, etc."
Many people on low carb diets still eat low carb fruit such as berries.
The advice could be more precise but then some may complain about the Nanny State telling us exactly what we should and should not eat.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
saw DN for first time today.. as my HBA1c is 53mmol will be diet controlled .. no medication necessary unless HBA1c reaches 58... also no blood
monitor testing necessary as again just diet controlled.. feet tested.. all good.. just keep an eye on dry skin and keep it moisturised..eat plenty fruit and veg.. carbs in moderation.. and try to eat less sugar. all in all advice given seemed ok.. wasn’t weighed but will receive hospital appointment to have eyes checked..appt scheduled for 6 months but don’t hesitate coming back if i think i need more help or advice
I was diagnosed last November with an HBa1c of 53 too. I'm 63 years old. I've gone for a very low carb diet. Basically, I avoid all high carb foods, sugar and alcohol.. I exercise a lot; at least an hour of strenuous to moderate exercise every day. I just got my HBa1c results after three months on this regime and my score is now 42.
If you follow the nurse's advice your HBa1c will probably fall a little, but if you want to beat this thing and avoid the side effects of high BS, you really need to go for it and follow the same sort of regime as I have. It works, but it needs determination and hard work. BTW a lot of the other ailments I had which I put down to my age are now either much better or completely gone, so it pays off in all sorts of ways. I'm not cured mind. I expect I will have to be careful with my diet and take lots of exercise for the rest of my life.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
I interpret this advice as "cut down on empty sugar: the kind of food such as sugary drinks which add nothing apart from sugar (and caffeine) to your diet and eat fruit in moderation as it also provides additional vitamins, minerals, fibre, etc."
Many people on low carb diets still eat low carb fruit such as berries.
The advice could be more precise but then some may complain about the Nanny State telling us exactly what we should and should not eat.
I don't eat fruit and limit the amount of berries I eat too. There is nothing in fruit that you can't get from low carb vegetables.

Reactions: dbr10

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@helensaramay

True and I will admit to having a Fruit addiction before diagnosis. If you include berries I was on 6-7 pieces a day which may have contirbuted to my condition.

I was told that a low carb diet for the non special people (non diabetic) is 130g so a moderate on could be 150-200g per day, whereas most of us are on less than 100.

I am not in favour of the nanny state but I do expect any expert to be just that - a knowledge fount. With my initial diagnosis, I was just a little surprised that they don't give me more precise advice like avoiding banana's, looking at a low carb diet etc. It took a NHS funded course (and this website) to open my eyes. I have seen 2 differnt DN's over the last 8 months, one was supportive of the whole LCHF approach to diet,the other....wasn't but as I told my wife (and she agrees) the HBA1C results are the proof, as is the weight loss, reduced chloreserol, reduced triglycerides etc.

I still eat berries, avoiding or eating small amounts of the higher carb ones i.e. blue berries but even then I include them for variety.

manhattan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed last November with an HBa1c of 53 too. I'm 63 years old. I've gone for a very low carb diet. Basically, I avoid all high carb foods, sugar and alcohol.. I exercise a lot; at least an hour of strenuous to moderate exercise every day. I just got my HBa1c results after three months on this regime and my score is now 42.
If you follow the nurse's advice your HBa1c will probably fall a little, but if you want to beat this thing and avoid the side effects of high BS, you really need to go for it and follow the same sort of regime as I have. It works, but it needs determination and hard work. BTW a lot of the other ailments I had which I put down to my age are now either much better or completely gone, so it pays off in all sorts of ways. I'm not cured mind. I expect I will have to be careful with my diet and take lots of exercise for the rest of my life.
really appreciate your reply.. my problem is underlying health problems.. microvascular angina.. high bp.. asthma.. ckd stage 3.. NAFLD and diverticulitis.. DN said diabetes could have affect on conditions and vice versa.. so i need to do my best to control diabetes and not let HBA1c level rise

manhattan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
She is following the correct care pathway as recommended by NICE, although most surgeries give you a second appointment and blood test at 3 months rather than 6 months just to keep an eye on things.

Are you going to take her advice on testing not necessary, and to eat plenty of fruit?
not gonna test.. eat my usual fruit intake.. banana,, satsuma.. strawberries.. grapes in moderation

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
High fructose fruit contributes significantly to a fatty liver, and that is precisely what T2s do not want. They also contribute to higher levels of circulating insulin, something else we can do without.

manhattan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Leave out the toast and probably that triangular thing, cut the baked beans down to a tablespoonful and your avatar shows an ideal low carb breakfast.
thanks!.. the triangular thing is a tattie scone lol

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
not gonna test.. eat my usual fruit intake.. banana,, satsuma.. strawberries.. grapes in moderation
Not testing is not a great idea. You will have to rely on HbA1c tests and have no idea of what is happening in between tests.
If you want to keep your HbA1c levels lower it would be better to test and see what foods cause you blood sugar to go up. Without testing you cannot know this.
A lot of your health conditions have been known to be helped greatly by cutting carbs from the diet. Are you on any other medications for your other conditions?

Reactions: maggiep and Prem51

manhattan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
High fructose fruit contributes significantly to a fatty liver, and that is precisely what T2s do not want. They also contribute to higher levels of circulating insulin, something else we can do without.
what fruit should i eat and what should i avoid?

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@manhattan
i would stop eating the bananas , stsuma and grapes or at least ensure that you are eating only small amounts as these are likely to spike, increase your Blood Glucose, I know they did mine.

You could be lucky but those three featured in my "daily intake" before diagnosis, in fact most days i would eat 2 bananas. Strawbs are Ok (Not by the bucketfull though:) ). I have Strawbs with double cream of Full fall Greek Yoghurt.

manhattan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not testing is not a great idea. You will have to rely on HbA1c tests and have no idea of what is happening in between tests.
If you want to keep your HbA1c levels lower it would be better to test and see what foods cause you blood sugar to go up. Without testing you cannot know this.
A lot of your health conditions have been known to be helped greatly by cutting carbs from the diet. Are you on any other medications for your other conditions?
on bendroflumethazide and perindipril for BP.. simvastin for cholesterol.. tildiem retard, isorobide and ivabradine for angina..