Just seen the DN

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
So had my appointment at the clinic today and saw a really lovely nurse (for once!)

She went through my results and was literally picking her jaw from the floor! She couldn't believe I have gone from 123 to 42 in 8 months! I have lost over 4 stone in that time also! She really cheered me up!:)

I told her I was disappointed I was not in the 30s but she explained the even hab1c is not perfect and I might well be. But she told me to go polish my halo lol.

Interestingly she was shocked I hadn't been offered a meter on diagnosis since I was so high but she was really open to hearing how it had been done. So I explained I had been given amazing advice from you lot. So thank you all so much for helping me with this. I feel really pleased today.

One thing came up though since I have ulcerative colitis, theres a link to being T1. A little confused... Anyone been told the same thing?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done on your achievements and doing your bit to ‘educate the professionals’! Keep up the good work!

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brilliant results, you must be walking on air!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Smashing result there fella! Keep up that fantastic work.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant results.

Coincidentally I also just had my first review since diagnosis with a different practice nurse. All good. Interesting conversations though.

She asked about my diet. I said I was eating very low carb. She asked about what I had for breakfast, lunch and dinner and raised eyebrows about the fact I routinely skipped either breakfast or lunch. Cholesterol testing was mentioned as I refused it at 3 and 6 months post diagnosis as I was actively losing weight. I explained why I had and she commented that all the meat and dairy was a concern. Eyebrows wobbled again when I said that depends it you believe 15% or less of diet contributes to cholesterol and how you viewed those figures in relation to risk anyway. We’ve agreed I’ll see where I’m at with it on the next test (I’m interested but unconcerned) but it’ll take a miracle to convince me of statin requirements regardless of results.

A somewhat concerning statement was made that type 2’s had insufficient insulin and losing weight meant the little we had went further. I asked surely most of us start with too much insulin but fail to utilise it due to insulin resistance and that weight lost helped inprove insulin resistance. Apparently the difference in those two statements is just “wording”. Me thinks it’s fundementally quite different in the implications for management options personally.

We discussed the merits of metformin, for some reason unknown as I am not on it nor need it at this time. I did ask how many patients at my surgery seriously attempt low carb. Apparently a few try it but most just want the drs to fix their diabetes with drugs. I asked if that was because they don’t realise how much difference it can make and that it is a real option for many. A muttered maybe. I asked if testing, even short term would demonstrate the point and she agreed it would and that they try. Some have asked about the Newcastle diet but her opinion was it was unsustainablelong term and at the end of it too many people fail to maintain control. I accept some people don’t want to make changes and are happy to take the medication route. But I think hcp’s do the public a disservice by assuming that about all patients and not providing sufficient clear and robust alternatives to enable informed choices.

So therefore I also asked about patient support groups at the practice and was advised to try the .org group as the practice had none. “The ones who recommend eating starchy carbs at every meal?” By now the shrugs had become accepting that the general advice and my viewpoint were at odds I think. Though a flicker of light is that just last week there was a meeting discussing peer support groups for various chronic illnesses including diabetes across the group of practices. I clearly said I would be very interested in such a group and more than willing to help start one. We’ll wait and see.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Major Buckmaster post: 2039634 said:
Thanks! I’m a female though lol.
Ooops! Sorry, lass. I'm female, too so... Up the Lasses!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant reduction - and well done for "picking" a nurse that knows things.

No idea about the ulcerative colitis, but I have a feeling at the back of my limp brain that it is an auto immune condition - so that would tie in with T1.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Brilliant reduction - and well done for "picking" a nurse that knows things.

No idea about the ulcerative colitis, but I have a feeling at the back of my limp brain that it is an auto immune condition - so that would tie in with T1.

Yes it is. She said it’s a slim chance but who knows the future. But I’m really happy for now!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks! I’m a female though lol.
Ooops! Sorry, lass. I'm female, too so... Up the Lasses!
Don't worry, @Major Buckmaster , @Guzzler won't forget you're a lass now :). She's very thoughtful and friendly in gendering in her posts!

And brilliant results!
One thing came up though since I have ulcerative colitis, theres a link to being T1
Might that be because UC may be an autoimmune disorder, just like T1? Autoimmune problems often bring their friends, so having one makes having others more likely. Not necessarily though, and if your UC is autoimmune it won't protect you from T2 so without further testing and as long as you keep having those wonderful numbers I'd go with T2. But if your bg goes up by no reason it doesn't hurt to keep in mind you might be a slow onset T1, just like all diabetics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guzzler

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Thank you. :)
Yes thats it, you're right. Nurse thought it unlikely but its just something they want to monitor in case. I'm not worried, nor was she but I will be keeping a close eye.

Reactions: Antje77

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm pretty sure she's making the link between diabetes and your ulcerative colitis (UC), because of the auto-immune elements of your UC.

My suggestion is not to linger on those thoughts too long, but be mindful if your diabetes goes a bit wonky and you eperience rising blood sugars, despite unchanged behaviours/diet. Should, heaven forbid, that happen, high tail it back to the Doc for additional tests.

Well done on your results though, @Major Buckmaster . That's quite a shift.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
I'm pretty sure she's making the link between diabetes and your ulcerative colitis (UC), because of the auto-immune elements of your UC.

My suggestion is not to linger on those thoughts too long, but be mindful if your diabetes goes a bit wonky and you eperience rising blood sugars, despite unchanged behaviours/diet. Should, heaven forbid, that happen, high tail it back to the Doc for additional tests.

Well done on your results though, @Major Buckmaster . That's quite a shift.

Thank you! I feel so much better already. And I don't intend to worry about it. No point. Hopefully all will be well.