Type 1.5 Just started insulin!

Boozon

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi - I was diagnosed about 2.5 yrs ago and have started insulin. I've been injecting for about a week now and just wanted people's thoughts

Currently 10units of Tresiba at 9pm with 1 or 2 units of Novorapid with each meal.

Here are some of my results

Morning
2/11 15.7
3/11 13.1
4/11 10.2
5/11 6.5(a couple of glasses of red wine made a difference)
6/1110.3
7/11 12.9

Assume this suggests that my dosage of Tresiba needs to increase??

This morning I had yoghurt and some nuts for breakfast and took 1.5 units
Before eating 12.9
2hrs - 12.8
3hrs - 13.7
5hrs - 13.4
6hrs 11.9

Thanks for any advice.

D

Deleted Account

I am not a doctor so would be reluctant to advise your dosage.
However, this would not be possible with only one reading a day.

The purpose of the basal (Tresiba) is to keep your BG stable.
If it was about 13 before you went to bed, it is probably ok.
If it was 20 before you went to bed, it is probably too much.
If it was 5 before you went to bed, it is probably too little.

Boozon

Type of diabetes
LADA
Thanks @helensaramay

Levels before bed are between 13 and 16.

Hopefully my DSN is going to call today as not sure if I should be taking corrective dosages to get me down to correct levels.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Boozon It's only your DSN who can decide at this stage what adjustments need to be made to your current regime, ongoing you will develop your knowledge and hopefully attend NHS course which will help empower you to make these decisions without any help.

Chase your DSN as it's best to keep on top of this and as Helen has said you will need to see a few days of regular patterns to be better placed to make decisions about adjustments, going off one day doesn't give you enough information or patterns to make any adjustments.

D

Deleted Account

Thanks @helensaramay

Levels before bed are between 13 and 16.

Hopefully my DSN is going to call today as not sure if I should be taking corrective dosages to get me down to correct levels.
From my experience, your basal insulin is probably about right at the moment*.
Please report back on the feedback from your DSN. As an experienced insulin user, I would be correcting but I don't think I did in my first week.

*You may find your basal dosage could change over time as your BG level reduces. It is common to experience some insulin resistance when your BG gets into the teens or higher.

Boozon

Type of diabetes
LADA
Thanks @helensaramay and @Juicyj appreciate your help and more experienced views on the new world(or new for me!)

Hopefully will have a call with my DSN this afternoon to see what best approach is to getting my levels down to happier levels.

Reactions: Kim Possible