Katie Hopkins

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not entirely sure I would have liked to have heard that, to be honest.
Are you serious? I would have loved someone to tell me what I was doing wrong! I went to see doctors time and time again and all I got was blame for being so fat. If just one of them had said "It's the carbs" I would have stopped eating most of the carbs. Did you not worry about your weight before you became diabetic? I tried so many things and none of them worked.

Reactions: 6 people

therealssj

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no idea who she is....a slight google image search made me understand what you all are talking about.....
katie-hopkins2.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Are you serious? I would have loved someone to tell me what I was doing wrong! I went to see doctors time and time again and all I got was blame for being so fat. If just one of them had said "It's the carbs" I would have stopped eating most of the carbs. Did you not worry about your weight before you became diabetic? I tried so many things and none of them worked.

They did tell me what I was doing wrong.
Eating too much.
I was told several times before in fact.
It was when I was diagnosed I actually did something about it.
I ate less.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eating too much.
I ate less.

Which is not particularly helpful for Type 2's who are slim at diagnosis. Higher body weight is not always associated with Type 2, and all too often is used as the hook to hang all problems on while disregarding useful advice to reduce BG levels and complications.

Signy

Reactions: 3 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I suspect if I was slim at diagnosis, they would not have told me to lose weight as part of my treatment.
You have to be careful not to adopt a 'one size fits all' policy for advice, and instead tailor the advice to fit the patient.
As you can see from my signature, the doctor, and all the other HCP's I worked with did just that, with the results shown.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating too much.
I ate less.
It's also not helpful for T2's who aren't eating a lot but are still obese; because some people eat far too much they assume that the rest of us fatties do too. It is really horrible to be told 'eat less' when you have stuck to 1000 calories a day for a couple of months and not lost anything. Yes, I did a food diary. Yes I put everything in it and counted everything when I counted calories. Even 1 crisp or 1 chocolate button.

I needed to be told to low carb, not simply eat less. I needed to be told that if I was still hungry I could have more fats.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It's also not helpful for T2's who aren't eating a lot but are still obese; because some people eat far too much they assume that the rest of us fatties do too. It is really horrible to be told 'eat less' when you have stuck to 1000 calories a day for a couple of months and not lost anything. Yes, I did a food diary. Yes I put everything in it and counted everything when I counted calories. Even 1 crisp or 1 chocolate button.

I needed to be told to low carb, not simply eat less. I needed to be told that if I was still hungry I could have more fats.

I always say,

'We're all different on here' :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always say,

'We're all different on here' :)
Yes you do! But I wish the rest of the world knew that too! I am envious that all you had to do was stop eating too much. How lucky are you??!! You're not even showing diabetic figures now, but I would with the carbs you eat (again that's jealousy). :rolleyes:

Reactions: 3 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

@zand I like the what you say and the way you say it, easy to understand and so helpful.
Sometimes threads become full of numerical, scientific and medical one sided self opinionated so called experts that just send us on a unwarranted journey.
Thank goodness for normality keep up your good feedback:)

Reactions: 5 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand I like the what you say and the way you say it, easy to understand and so helpful.
Sometimes threads become full of numerical, scientific and medical one sided self opinionated so called experts that just send us on a unwarranted journey.
Thank goodness for normality keep up your good feedback:)
lol that's a really lovely way of expressing it. Thank you. :) I post like that because I'm not clever enough to post in any other way! I would love to be scientific, but I'm not.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
lol that's a really lovely way of expressing it. Thank you. :) I post like that because I'm not clever enough to post in any other way! I would love to be scientific, but I'm not.

Common sense and straight talking get my vote every time. More universally understood than some 'scientific' claims.

Reactions: 5 people

Donna68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have physically eaten more since my diagnosis. More regularly and more food - just LESS CARBS. My stomach upsets have stopped since eating less/brown carbs. The problem I have with her 'experiment' is that once your body gets used to the weight it is harder to lose it. So it was easier for her to shift it - she'd only just put it on.

Over the last 12 months I had put on about 2 stone (severe anaemia, no physical exertion allowed). Once I started eating low carbs it just fell off. Now I have got back to the weight I had been for the previous 20+ years I am finding it hard/slow losing any more - my body thinks this is the correct weight for me. My blood sugars never go above 6.0 in a morning (usually between 4.7 and 5.4). I feel better than I have in ages (look younger too). I have also started a new job (less stressful even though less money). Being overweight is only one small part of who we are, and why we have this condition. Katie Hopkins is just an attention seeking parasite. I can come up with excuses for being overweight (under active thyroid - busy stressful life) but the fact is I ate the wrong things, I accept that - my responsibility. But the genes, the underactive thyroid, the illness just before my diagnosis, the fact I had a baby weighing over 9lbs were not my 'fault'. Maybe if the media gave a more balanced view of the various things that increase your risk of Type 2 instead of blaming everything on being overweight I would have seen that I ticked a heck of a lot of the boxes and acted sooner.

Glad the media and Katie Hopkins know exactly what causes Type 2 because one thing I have learned from this forum is that the experts don't know the cause - and therefore don't agree on how to 'treat' it. That all we can do is share what works for us - and help others find a way that helps them too.

Reactions: 4 people

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I agree with you completely. The more she thinks that she can push the boundaries the more smug she gets.She is a bad reflection of her gender.

I think she's great the way she speaks her mind, pity more women aren't like that!!

daydream

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
fish-coconut
Katie Hopkins causes a lot of hurt too people with her comments , she just loves stirring trouble a very very sad person needs to stop being a motor mouth and think before she talks