Katie Hopkins

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't think its that simple. I think it's the combo of high fat and high carb so you can have relatively small quantity but if you eat something like carbonara where you have pasta in sauce which is high in fat so high carb high fat, you then have lots of insulin, energy not used and a recipe for dis aster.
I agree the diet plans would have to be more than "eat less" maybe "eat better", but in principle, i am glad that someone is out there saying it. Possibly not going about it in the best way ... But it's better than burying our heads in the sand.
People need help and understanding

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree the diet plans would have to be more than "eat less" maybe "eat better", but in principle, i am glad that someone is out there saying it. Possibly not going about it in the best way ... But it's better than burying our heads in the sand.
Yes people do need help and understanding. They need to be told that carbs are addictive, that fats are fine, that insulin resistance is not their fault and that low carb is the way to go. Now how good would that programme have been if that awful woman had actually tried to help?

Reactions: 5 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes people do need help and understanding. They need to be told that carbs are addictive, that fats are fine, that insulin resistance is not their fault and that low carb is the way to go. Now how good would that programme have been if that awful woman had actually tried to help?
Yeah I agree. Hopefully now she has brought it all to the front of everyone's mind, decent helpful programmes will follow

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah I agree. Hopefully now she has brought it all to the front of everyone's mind, decent helpful programmes will follow
Well yes one would like to think so, but the way I see it the great British public like to laugh at fatties, so I don't see 'them' making any useful programmes for general consumption. We have to trawl the net for good dietary advice and maybe fall for a bit of bad advice until we get to the truth.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree the diet plans would have to be more than "eat less" maybe "eat better", but in principle, i am glad that someone is out there saying it.

Eating better is the key but more often than not, people are reluctant to try new foods. They return to the same old foods, try to eat less of it but invariably, end up the same as before.

The main factors against eating better are expense, lack of time and habit. To eat well, you have to learn how to buy good ingredients cheaply, often that means travel, learn how to cook and develop a new palate. Modern working practices do not help at all, people don't have the time and are too tired at the end of the day. The politicians trumpet this as a modern dynamic workforce.

Reactions: 6 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eating better is the key but more often than not, people are reluctant to try new foods. They return to the same old foods, try to eat less of it but invariably, end up the same as before.

The main factors against eating better are expense, lack of time and habit. To eat well, you have to learn how to buy good ingredients cheaply, often that means travel, learn how to cook and develop a new palate. Modern working practices do not help at all, people don't have the time and are too tired at the end of the day. The politicians trumpet this as a modern dynamic workforce.
Hmm yes but then again, it only takes a little investment to do all that. My husband and I both work full time and can't drive. You can go online and get a few recipes and then order your shop online and have it delivered. Time shouldn't really be an excuse, it's just as quick and easy to eat a salad as a pizza.
If I can do it anyone can really. I am rubbish at cooking

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
But help and understanding do not come from some bigoted halfwit sporting views which are neither appropriate or acceptable in the twenty first century. I was as @Yorksman said working full time with a young family in a demanding job and cooked things which were quick given that hubbie doesn't come in until 6:45 and I wasn't through the door till 6:15 on a good day. I was eating less and less and feeling hungry to the point where I'd give in and get a few biscuits. I now know that it was not the quantity of hat I ate but the fact that it was high in carb and fat. Brekkie: small bowl of Alpen. Lunch: cheese sandwich (2 slices of bread) a packet of crisps and a choccie biscuit, mid afternoon a choccie biscuit dinner carbonara (small bowl) and a choc mousse. Some evenings a twirl or a couple of biscuits. No exercise apart from at weekends as evenings spent marking and making lessons till 10-11pm. Go figure. Evenings are still no exercise as marking and lessons have increased but the difference now is the low carb high fat diet. Have gone from 22 to 12-14. Spent 10 years of my life as size 22. What a waste. Even then, it's only because I discovered this site by accident and some kind soul pointed me in the direction of diet doctor. I still have to battle and I do mean battle against all medical advice to eat this way despite all my stats. A less stubbon person would have caved by now.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can go online and get a few recipes and then order your shop online and have it delivered. Time shouldn't really be an excuse, it's just as quick and easy to eat a salad as a pizza.

Time is only one factor, money is another. For example, most people agree fish is good in a diet. A lot of people think fish is too fussy though. The simplest way to buy fish for home cooking is a fish pie mix. I use it for spicy fish stews. Our Morrisons sell it at £11.99 per Kg and I'd hate to think of the state it would be in if I had it delivered. Our local fish wholesaler sell excellent quality fish mixes at £5.99 per Kg, all large pieces of salmon, cod, smoked haddock, and some sort of flat fish. Whilst there, I'll also get vietnamese king prawns and atlantic shrimps, both very much cheaper than the supermarket. Their opening hours are 5am til 12.30pm though and they don't deliver.

51460d9ee6011e04f24eb92b85a522cc.jpg

They also sell things like frozen duck breasts, a pack of 2 cost £3.20. In the supermarket they cost something like £7.50. A local farm shop does 5lb packs of chicken fillets for £12.00. Again the supermarket is double that. On saturday I'll go to Malton market and get fillet steak at £21 per Kg. The supermarkets are around £40 per kg. In all cases, the supermarket quality is inferior as well as being more expensive. There's a guy from Crete at this market who sells large olives that he imports from his hometown. You'd never eat a supermarket olive again if you'd tasted his.

But, few people have the time to shop around. When people can, they get better quality at lower prices.

However, if Lidl has it's wild boar or diced vension on offer again, get some for the freezer. That is just as good and cheaper than our local deer farm shop.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cost can be an issue. But you can buy a lot of shopping for the price of a takeaway. We've decided not to eat out and use the money to eat better at home.

Lidl is great for low carb high fat food. Meats, cheeses, salad etc

Reactions: 6 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Cost can be an issue. But you can buy a lot of shopping for the price of a takeaway. We've decided not to eat out and use the money to eat better at home.

Lidl is great for low carb high fat food. Meats, cheeses, salad etc
Us too! We used to eat a lot of takeaway! Not anymore! love Lidl too! :angelic:

Reactions: 4 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Atypical Forum Derailment lol. Katie Hopkins to Shops then no doubt decor lol.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Oh thanks guys, I'm slaving away with a paintbrrush and a roller, with my wonky wing, I come back for some quiet peaceful interaction and I get this.................................. :bigtears: :( :bigtears:
Not done yet ? Lol

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Remember the ponies go on when it's touch dry lol

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Not entirely sure I would have liked to have heard that, to be honest.