Keep getting told by people that I can get rid of Diabetes Type one

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There’s always a cure for us “just around the corner”, but it’s like a mirage. I’ve given up believing in it for myself, which is why I’m participating in all the trials I can to offer hope for those who come after. Even my son is offering his blood and DNA as the child of a T1 in the hope that one day it can be cured.

M

Member496333

@Jim Lahey . Perhaps you could actually explain what you mean by reversing type 1 diabetes in this and other recent posts.

I have no opinion on what may or may not constitute "reversal" of type 1 diabetes, and I have never put one forward. This is just free and open discussion between adults on a public forum. I believe we are all entitled to contribute.

But let's not fall out over it. I think you may be reading things into my contributions that are not there, and maybe skimming over some stuff that is, but I apologise for any offence that may have been caused. The written word is all too easy to misconstrue. As I said in my first post - peace and goodwill.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@carol50 I can only compare your frustration with the ignorance of my weight loss fight despite every diet, even low carb and still needing insulin so I don't go black.
Strangely my GP told me today I'm type1 and type2.
How fed up and frustrated could I be if I didn't hv a plan to improve my health. With or without insulin. Confusion from different medic's medical opinion and diagnosis's.
I'm not really concerned what label I hv but I'm happy to improve my health for a huge anticipation of an accomplishment which I've only ever dreamed of. Which I cannot disclose until its firmly agreed in black and white. My only dream for myself I wish to come true.
Type??? I'm on insulin, been for over a decade with periods of attempting to do without insulin without success.
Ignorance comes from strange quarters at times. In fact I'm sure I'm ignorant in plenty I've not yet learned about.
Isn't that LIFE?
I send you comfort not everyone thinks the same. Some just sheep.
However thankful many on here hv removed their blinkers or never had them from the start.
We are all different. Thankfully eh?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems that news of hope for remission in type 2 is being mistaken for current situation in type 1.

I cannot begin to imagine how frustrating and annoying that may be for a type 1 who has been promised that for years or possibly their entire lives which is where I guess this post comes from.

However as a type 2 I rejoice that at least some version of the truth is getting out there, ie Type 2 (90% remember) have hope and options.

Sadly that also comes with misunderstandings of type 1 and it’s origins (autoimmune) and treatment options and misunderstandings of the causes of type 2 (genetics not just lethargy and gluttony).

Better education is the answer to all the frustrations for all types in my humble opinion.

Reactions: carol50 and zand

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Spoken to a few people about this and it's really is beginning to annoy me. The news of course doesn't help as they keep writing rubbish about diabetes. My thoughts are he who knows it feels it. I have had diabetes type one for 29 years and all of a sudden I can be cured and get off insulin. What rubbish and it saddens me that people are spreading this utter rubbish around
If I was T1 I think my response to them would tend to be the same as my response would be to all these other miracle diabetes cures that we constantly hear or read about - I'd ask if this is the case why haven't we heard about this then and all been cured by now? I can't imagine anyone choosing to go through life having to watch glucose levels constantly and taking insulin just for the hell of it...

Robbity
who isn't even convinced that her T2 can ever be anything other than (hopefully) "well controlled"...

D

Deleted member 308541

Robbity
who isn't even convinced that her T2 can ever be anything other than (hopefully) "well controlled"...
I asked my GP six months ago about being in remission / reversed with my T2 and he said no but I was "under excellent control", I phoned Diabetes Queensland and asked the same question to one of the resident CDE there and she said the same thing that my GP said.

I look at it like a alcoholic does recovery, I am a recovering T2 as it will always be there one mistake and I could be back where I started.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, I've had this crazily unpredictable and frustrating condition for over 55 years now. I have already been told my a couple of people that diabetes is reversible. I have informed them in no uncertain terms that they are talking about type 2 and when I had further argument from one individual, I gave them a lecture on what controlling type 1 means on a daily basis. That woman was quite shocked. I am definitely green with envy of anyone who can reverse their condition. I only wish it was possible for all of us, of whatever type.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Like the others, after 49 years of T1 my faith in a cure in "ten" or "twenty" years has just about vanished, though I'm optimistic for new young T1s.

But the treatment has improved dramatically from my childhood, when the only sugar level test was a test tube, a tablet, 5 drops of urine and ten of water. Glucometers were life changing, and so are cgms (or would be if they worked for me sigh).

There is a (sort of) cure now - I could have a pancreas transplant. (Though obviously that would depend on a match becoming available and the doctors being willing to give me one). Two reasons why I don't want to go down that route - rejection drugs and issues and the fact that though my pancreas doesn't produce insulin it does lots of other useful stuff (glucagon anyone?) and I'd really like for it to continue doing that. But I can see why people go for joint kidney pancreas transplants, as if you need a kidney you might as well get the pancreas too.

And going off topic slightly - given that T1s bodies presumably killed off our insulin producing cells - what's to stop our bodies from killing off any new insulin producing cells that are introduced?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Reversing Type 1 :rolleyes: I wish. I cannot live without Insulin and I cannot even eat scrambled eggs and bacon without taking Insulin and that is technically not carbohydrates.
We are constantly told a cure, of some sort, is just around the corner, I was told 30 years ago, a cure will be found ( not a reversal) within a few years with research and funding, I have been keeping an open mind regarding type 1 for decades.
When I get the euphoric news from my Diabetes team or News at Ten, only then, will I have real hope for a possible future without Insulin.
Just to add, extracts I have posted before regarding diabetes management from my mum's Nursing book, back in 1910/20, a low carb diet was recommended, but patients eventually wasted away and died.
Edited
Me neither @Robinredbreast. I need insulin for ANY foods. Even no carb/low carb.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
If I was T1 I think my response to them would tend to be the same as my response would be to all these other miracle diabetes cures that we constantly hear or read about - I'd ask if this is the case why haven't we heard about this then and all been cured by now? I can't imagine anyone choosing to go through life having to watch glucose levels constantly and taking insulin just for the hell of it...

Robbity
I know some type1s in the 'office' experience resentment when they hv to go treat a hypo. Some nasty vicious mouths out there. Out of all ages, too. Maybe one who has upset @carol50?
Sad but true. :( :( :(

Reactions: carol50

MauroM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Like the others, after 49 years of T1 my faith in a cure in "ten" or "twenty" years has just about vanished, though I'm optimistic for new young T1s.

But the treatment has improved dramatically from my childhood, when the only sugar level test was a test tube, a tablet, 5 drops of urine and ten of water. Glucometers were life changing, and so are cgms (or would be if they worked for me sigh).

There is a (sort of) cure now - I could have a pancreas transplant. (Though obviously that would depend on a match becoming available and the doctors being willing to give me one). Two reasons why I don't want to go down that route - rejection drugs and issues and the fact that though my pancreas doesn't produce insulin it does lots of other useful stuff (glucagon anyone?) and I'd really like for it to continue doing that. But I can see why people go for joint kidney pancreas transplants, as if you need a kidney you might as well get the pancreas too.

And going off topic slightly - given that T1s bodies presumably killed off our insulin producing cells - what's to stop our bodies from killing off any new insulin producing cells that are introduced?

I recently took a course in biomaterials (prosthesis and implants) and read about encapsulation devices for pancreatic beta cells. Your question is relevant here because even if there's no risk of rejection of the implanted beta cells, due to the autoimmune response, the beta cells are attacked again. The encapsulation device protects the beta cells from the immune response.
For those who say they lost hope on a cure being developed, I like to think we now have tools that weren't considered feasible about two decades ago, such as organ tissues on chips, machine learning and ai, closed loop systems, etc. Maybe I'm young and naive, but it seems to me the last years have seen amazing breakthroughs in medicine and technology, which gives me hope.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Well, there's no reversing or cure to T1 with raw root veg & excersise.. Neither will group prayer to a deity & slapping the "sickness" out of the patient either..

I must admit I have had the odd "there's a white patch that can do all that stuff stuff for you." Whilst injecting for lunch in the staff room.. People get it wrong? "What, this thing?" Exposing my Libre. "Yep, it does the lot.. (Including my ironing.) But even this needs a break for lunch.."

Lol, I just see it as an ill informed "ice breaker." I'm certain other folk with different conditions have to suffer the "slings & arrows" of outrageous misinformation too... ;)

Don't worry @Jim Lahey , lol, no "comeback" from me!
I saw your message as positive thought for the future. But after 43 years of "new scientist," "Tomorrow's world" & wot not? The most I can do these days is involve myself in a JDRF benefit gig to keep the "flame" alive for the younglings...

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

This sounds a little more hopeful. Here transplanted cells are travelling into our inner galaxies, boldly dispensing insulin but needing less anti rejection drugs and less pancreases and much less invasive surgery. It is an EU funded project though so let us all hope that we can still benefit from it if and when it becomes an available treatment.
http://www.drive-project.eu/8-homeswitcher/7-islet-transplantation-therapy

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
@carol50 I can only compare your frustration with the ignorance of my weight loss fight despite every diet, even low carb and still needing insulin so I don't go black.
Strangely my GP told me today I'm type1 and type2.
How fed up and frustrated could I be if I didn't hv a plan to improve my health. With or without insulin. Confusion from different medic's medical opinion and diagnosis's.
I'm not really concerned what label I hv but I'm happy to improve my health for a huge anticipation of an accomplishment which I've only ever dreamed of. Which I cannot disclose until its firmly agreed in black and white. My only dream for myself I wish to come true.
Type??? I'm on insulin, been for over a decade with periods of attempting to do without insulin without success.
Ignorance comes from strange quarters at times. In fact I'm sure I'm ignorant in plenty I've not yet learned about.
Isn't that LIFE?
I send you comfort not everyone thinks the same. Some just sheep.
However thankful many on here hv removed their blinkers or never had them from the start.
We are all different. Thankfully eh?

I have secondary diabetes due to pancreatitis but just tell people type 1, I also think labels are not needed

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have secondary diabetes due to pancreatitis but just tell people type 1, I also think labels are not needed
I'm lucky I wasn't diagnosed at 6yrs old as I was chubby. My genes of chubbiness even when I ran around loads, cycled and swam but know one of my parents was a 'feeder'. There I wonder the problem lied. However I've never been a biscuit, crisp or chocolate eater. I've always loved high protein treats. Seafood, tinned mackerel and other fishy or meaty treats. I didn't like sausages or hotdogs or pepperoni. Soooo my query has always been had I naturally sourced high protein but now after been on insulin for more than 13yrs my protein needed insulin unlike as a child. I'll never know if I'm on insulin because I was IR only or if I was honeymooning on high protein and getting my energy from protein rather than the low carb eating I naturally preferred. Once I became pregnant 13yrs ago my body preferred insulin for me and baby. Everytime I wasn't on insulin no matter the meds I had uncontrolled diabetes... everytime.
Medics are more knowledgeable now. Ok a ward manager/sister can get confused in hospital admissions.
Society?
Well if I'm unsure what can I expect from them?
Medicine is a science but not 100% perfect. But neither am I.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Karenchq

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I live in an area in the U.S. Where marijuana is legal and get tired of ignorant people telling me it will cure type 1. I also have cancer and apparently it cures that too. You can go to dispensaries (pot shops), tell what you have and they will mix up a joint for you to smoke.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
A few months ago, I nearly had a full blown argument with a nurse who smugly told me that a cure for type 1 had been discovered in Europe and that it was time the UK caught up and that soon everyone with type 1 would be cured...I tried to remonstrate with him but eventually gave up. He couldn't give me any actual facts or even say which country. I should add he wasn't a DSN and also said Type 1s mustn't ever eat grapes as they had too much sugar in them (I'm talking about 3 grapes...).
I would love to think there will be a cure in my lifetime but I doubt it somehow. It has been good to see the advances that have been made in recent years though.