Keto diet and butter

Perfumeflower53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I have just been printing a few of the lovely tasty keto recipes on here for breakfast,lunch and dinner but I noticed that the majority of these recipes state to use butter either to cook with or added into the actual dish, or even both.

I love butter :). However, I cant help feeling that this is still a lot of butter to consume so I was just wondering in terms of trying to lose weight is it still OK to use this much butter?

Thank you for any replies in advance

Regards,
Perfumeflower53

Reactions: Olufisayo

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
remember that by reducing your carbs, you are reducing the amount of food you eat, and calories you eat. For me, the fats compensate for that reduction. I dont do keto so your shortfall of calories from reducing carbs will be much greater than mine.

I still keep an eye on calories in, as I want to at least not gain any more weight, but also need to eat enough for energy and health, so I find butter and full fat cheese works well to fill in the shortfall of calories I had from reducing carbs.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fat has been demonised by the food industry, so they could sell you cheap junk byproducts and addictive sugars instead of real food. Ignore that. Stick to real food from farms and fish farms: vegetables, meat, dairy, etc. Anything in a box or carton with a brand name on it is probably much worse for you.

If you want to understand more about why you should ignore that kind of advice, read "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" -- it gets into all the bad science and ignorance that led to modern dietary advice, and how all the good science favoring fat was ignored.
I think @Perfumeflower53 is asking from the point of view of not gaining weight, rather than questioning the value of fats?

Perfumeflower53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah thank you both so much, I understand much better now. We need the fat to compensate for the reduced carbs. Yes that makes a lot of sense now.

lucylocket61,the last bit of your advice was explained in a way that I can understand. So thank you once again.

I have just recently been newly diagnosed as a T2 so everything to me at the moment is a bit of a minefield. I have also been trying to find my way round here and getting lost along the way.

The wealth of information on here is phenomenal and so far I have done a lot of reading the last couple of days but there is still so much research to do on here.

In a way, I am having to re-learn (if this is a right word) all about food again, but this time it is the healthy kind. I have spent many years eating high carbs or the wrong types of food and it takes something like this (my diagnosis) to give me a kick start up the $%£&. lol

Regards
Perfumeflower53

Reactions: Mufflana

Perfumeflower53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you bulkbiker,

Could you possibly put me in the right direction in regards to recommending a good keto diet plan say for example for 7 or 14 days and so on etc. I have so far printed some recipes which of course I will use but wanted to see if there was a more constructed plan available.

Regards,
Perfumeflower53

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a bit of a balancing act - so it may be worth doing things in stages - e.g. find out what you need to eat fat wise to keep your weight stable, then start reducing the fat slightly. So you'll (a) switch your body over to burning fats instead of carbs for energy, and (b) once you've done that, reduce fat intake to the point where you start burning off some of your body fat to make up the deficit.

Diet Doctor does both low carb and keto "challenge" diet plans which you might find useful. My GP recommened Atkins for weight loss and I based my meals to start with on the online list of foods permitted for his "Induction phase". (This was pre Diet Doctor and prior to me finding our forum....though I'd already cut down on sugary foods, and then all the obvious high carb food and reduced my glucose levels by a fair bit before I really cut right down on the carbs and began to lose weight! )

Robbity