Keto Diet Raises Inflammation, Reduces Insulin Sensitivity (study review)

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I mentioned in a post last week about the slight of hand used to make something it isn't. Mike Mutzel is into fitness and health. He cycles Keto but isn't strict or dogmatic.

The "evidence" has been circling the net over the last day or so and vested interests are saying told you so etc. Probably best if you have a listen and see the twists and turns to make something fit / true and the positive parts missed. There is one thing performed in this so called study that no Keto person would do, and then follow it with measurements....

I actually feel sorry for these types of authors and their followers as they know what they are doing. Some of the people pushing this are real Doctors.

How many of us who use Keto eat 5 meals a day?
How many of us who use Keto would have the following:
  • Chicken Dip
  • Oil roasted Almonds and Peanuts, Spinach
  • Sauteed squash and mushrooms (what oil?)
  • Egg and Potato hash
  • Chewy granola bar
  • Chocolate chunk
  • hot potato salad
  • Pretzel sticks
  • Wheat crackers with American spread
I find it hard to believe that they don't expect scrutiny and Mike did a good job exposing the "increase" in CRP.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Yet again the nay sayers choose their own parameters wrt subjects, food, length of time of study etc. K. Hall is actually very proud of this study aka very proud to have a study published.

Next.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why would anybody testing a particular way of eating give a completely different meal in the middle of the test.. ?
Unless of course it was deliberately designed to mislead.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I mentioned in a post last week about the slight of hand used to make something it isn't. Mike Mutzel is into fitness and health. He cycles Keto but isn't strict or dogmatic.

The "evidence" has been circling the net over the last day or so and vested interests are saying told you so etc. Probably best if you have a listen and see the twists and turns to make something fit / true and the positive parts missed. There is one thing performed in this so called study that no Keto person would do, and then follow it with measurements....

I actually feel sorry for these types of authors and their followers as they know what they are doing. Some of the people pushing this are real Doctors.

How many of us who use Keto eat 5 meals a day?
How many of us who use Keto would have the following:
  • Chicken Dip
  • Oil roasted Almonds and Peanuts, Spinach
  • Sauteed squash and mushrooms (what oil?)
  • Egg and Potato hash
  • Chewy granola bar
  • Chocolate chunk
  • hot potato salad
  • Pretzel sticks
  • Wheat crackers with American spread
I find it hard to believe that they don't expect scrutiny and Mike did a good job exposing the "increase" in CRP.

Maybe I've missed something but if they included these foods then surely you could put any results down to the carbs? Same with many other similar 'studies', whenever they are 'proving' that high fat is bad they describe meals with equal amounts of carbs in. Makes no sense. I keep an open mind on most things food wise but if they are going to do an experiment to prove a point then for goodness sake stop including equal amounts of fat/protein/carbs which do nothing to prove 'keto is bad'.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never chased keto, but I do eat a reduced carb diet. Do you think he means this level of CRP HS (high sensitivity variant), frommy blood tests last week?

upload_2019-9-3_17-18-1.png

Should I be able to sleep tonight?

Edited to add, this score is whilst I am recovering from shingles, and have lingering neuropathic pain. I was expecting it to be elevated, but I'll take it on the chin.

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Maybe I've missed something but if they included these foods then surely you could put any results down to the carbs? Same with many other similar 'studies', whenever they are 'proving' that high fat is bad they describe meals with equal amounts of carbs in. Makes no sense. I keep an open mind on most things food wise but if they are going to do an experiment to prove a point then for goodness sake stop including equal amounts of fat/protein/carbs which do nothing to prove 'keto is bad'.
Really disappointing I agree. Imagine if these people were to work with the Keto camp, whilst keeping their preference, and just focused on real minimally processed foods, akin to cardio and strength training being 2 sides of the same coin. They would have seen for example Virta Health results, how do they square this in their mind. They would know what real Keto / LCHF is so why try to shoe horn other stuff in....and next week I have no intention of having a shop bought Pizza and coke as part of my regime and expecting measurements to be kind to me, so pointless.

Reactions: Robbity