Keto increases my Fasted Blood Sugar

s91s91

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started keto some 9 months ago and started monitoring my fbs each morning. After losing weight (5Kg) I started noticing that my fbs started increasing from 5 to 9. I went to Docs and was told I am now type 2 diabetic. I have now ditched keto and started eating more carbs and my fbs has fallen to 4.9 (below type 2 range). Can anyone explain why this might have happened as it seems completely at odds with the keto theory?

Reactions: Angela64

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Keto or low carb, can increase fasting blood sugars: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fasting-blood-glucose-higher

However, on it's own I don't think it's a meaningful figure as it's just one reading early in the day, and on its own is not a fool proof indication of diabetes control.

What are your blood sugars like the rest of the day? Pre and post meals, for example?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It took 2 years of keto to bring down my “foot on the floor” numbers, all other numbers were below 6 but my mornings ones were always in the high 7s - now they are in the 4s low 5s agree with what @Goonergal says, it’s a very small corner piece of a much bigger jigsaw

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@s91s91 - Yes, I would tend to find the explanation for the high blood glucose - getting you into T2D, whilst on a very low-carb diet means that the reason is to be found elsewhere in your life, and body. Especially it sounds as if you have completely remissed/reversed your diagnosis on a - not quite sure what 'more carbs' might mean here. But more carbs than before!

For us to send you in the right direction, we need to do a deep dive into what is happening with your life, and your body. But ultimately of course, I would say you need a trusted GP who is an excellent diagnostician. They exist! And for complex disease expressions - a good gamet of tests and a decent diagnosis is your best bet. This is not a simple T2D presentation at all, I would say.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you saying you were diagnosed on the basis of fasted glucose alone? Was an hba1c (3 month average level) not done as that is the normal way to do it unless there’s a good reason not to.

Angela64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2 and PAF & now Haemochromatosis!
There is a thing called ‘the dawn phenomenon’, your body makes insulin to get you up. Hubs found this in the net as my fasting level can be high.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a thing called ‘the dawn phenomenon’, your body makes insulin to get you up. Hubs found this in the net as my fasting level can be high.
Actually the liver dumps glucose to get you up, which would for most people then result in a consequent rise in insulin. As you can't test for insulin at home....

• Useful
Reactions: ravensmitten

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It makes glucose not insulin (but that follows if glucose rises).

• Useful
Reactions: ravensmitten