Keto/low carb is making me ill

VikkiB81

Not sure why I'm posting, maybe to get it off my chest but here goes. I'm not on diabetic meds but the nurse keeps nagging so I thought it was time to get myself I gear and get my sugars under control. I've been trying to loose weight for about 6 months by going to the gym twice a week and eating a healthy diet. I'm getting married in October and 3 stones need to go! Anyway the weight didn't move and when my diabetic nurse said my Ha1b was higher this time I was shocked. I started to check my bloods and my healthy diet was seemingly too carby despite being the non processed sort. So I started low carb/keto. The first week was OK but week 2 and 3 were hell. Permanent headaches despite trying all recommendations for preventing this, it was debilitating and I've a family and couldn't function. It's been a week since I've increased my carbs but I can't get a happy medium. I lost 5lbs in those three weeks and I'm terrified I will put them back on. I'm tired, my anxiety is through the roof and I'm so sad and weepy. I've no idea what to cook my family in the evenings anymore, I lack the motivation to get in the kitchen as I have to over think everything to try and get what I have right. I don't enjoy cooking at the best of times. And I'm not sure I can bare another omelette for my lunch. Yes there are ideas all over the Internet but the prep and time and sometimes expensive ingredients are just too overwhelming. I need to loose weight for my health and my wedding and I feel I'm running out of time (for the wedding). My diabetic nurse has referred me to a dietitian but how long that will take I don't know. I just want to curl up and hide away and stop thinking about food... I hate the obsession it's creating in me. I couldn't face cooking my lunch today so had a bread roll with no sugar peanut butter and my bloods went from 6.3 to 10.1 in two hours so the guilt set in. The carb heavy roll then meant that just having simple veg for my evening meal took me over 100g of carbs... I'm trying to now stick under that number... I dont know why... Not sure what I'm even doing. Tomorrow is sausage and chip night from the chip van that visits... I dont even get a night off from cooking anymore as I have to make something just for me. Sorry for the essay everyone.

Reactions: Smita

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I first started I came across a lot of the points that you have just mentioned. I found it hard. But I kept going. The way I dealt with it was to not aim too low on the carbs. I kept the numbers down to 130grams of carbs per day maximum, to try and make it easier on my self and more compatible with what my family was eating. It worked. In a year I have shed 14kg. And brought my HbA1c down to 35 from 41.

I am currently trying to go lower now, perhaps down to 70 grams per day of carbs, now that I have familiarised myself with it all.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@VikkiB81, I really feel for you - good on you for coming in here and talking about how you are feeling, and how hard it is - so many of us have gone through the same thing, and if you look I am sure you will find other folks going through what they call the 'low carb flu', or keto flu if you are going really low carb right now and posting.

And about cooking - I really hear you on that one!

And I really feel for you about the chips - it is very hard turning those down when they look and smell so good and our friends and family are eating them. At least know - you are not alone. And for you - with diabetes, the health consequences, alas, for eating chips and crisps and so on are very real, as they may not be for your family. I deal with it by taking four or five crispy ones off my partner's plate - which would be about a half gram of carbs each? The real chips are about a gram of carbs each I believe, which is why eating them is so dynamite, and potatoes as a starchy veg gives the 'big boom. You eat 20 - and there is 20 grams of carbs there. The light for the flame if you like, is the vege oils they cook them in - sigh - yes, I hear you on that one too.

Low carbing really does work for weight loss, and you have a good attitude about the no-processed food thing. Maybe joining a programme might work better for you? Atkins? (I found the material on Atkins very helpful when I started out, for the carb content of food, and they have just got really good at organising it all over the decades.) The diet doctor - great graphics and recipes. Or just get very involved in this forum in weight loss threads? Getting as much support as you can is probably really good.

I was talking to my sister in law just last weekend, as every now and again she does a brave thing and talks to me about her wanting to lose weight. I always say the same thing, and last weekend she even sent me out of the room (it was her house) to go do something, as she really didn't want to hear what I had to say. And what was that? "It's about the food - you have to be like me" (egads!) "and pay attention to everything that you are eating. I am really sorry to say this. But you can't escape it." She was actually making pancakes at the time (and no - not almond flour, no sugar added ones - the ones you can make out of a packet that I used to love back in the day too). I didn't like being sent out of the room, but hey! I understand that you have to change so thoroughly what you are eating is a b***er of a thing to hear. (We had afternoon tea together that day at a cafe and she had gorgeous iced coffee - the kind with sugar - and with a lovely chocolate fish on top! I had a keto caramel bar, so I was surprised and happy they had it to offer.) (Well - you get what I am saying.)

As for the cooking. Routines are good I think, and think 'bulk' for the standard stuff, like low carb sauces, and fathead pizza bases and the like. And before you know it you will have you regular 'go to' foods and it will all be easier. I love baking, and baked goods, so baking low carb and keto buns and cakes and so on has been part of my low-carbing life as long as I have been doing it (about 5 years now). Don't expect anyone else to share your low-carb baked goods though! :). The only one any 'ordinary' folks likes is the fathead pizzas - if they are tolerant to dairy, as they are mostly cheese (yummy!) Also make your kitchen as user-friendly as you can, and have music or youtube or something to make it more fun?

And as for the low-carb flu - yes, keep up your salt and fluids, and you will get through this transition period. I'm sorry it feels so awful. I hadn't fasted for a very long time, and tried it again the other day, and I got the headaches and felt queasy and stuff, and was reminded that I had been eating too many carbs for me to be going through a transition period - again. And it is a pain in the derriere to have to go experience anything painful. But you have two very good reasons to keep going - your health, and your wedding! Three stones/20kg is no small number. But can you do it? Yes!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some positive motivation follows (I hope). I lost nearly 20kg in 4 months eating very low carb as a result of diagnosis. So the weight loss for the wedding is potentially very doable. But we all have different journeys. After years of putting everyone else first I decided it they wanted me around to continue doing all I do for them then I needed to stay/get healthy. And that meant putting my needs higher than before. I hate being in the kitchen. I hate cooking. I take any and every shortcut I can. But shortcuts to good food not rubbish.
Use frozen chopped onions, peppers etc. (Can’t stand some frozen veg but in one pot meals these are fine). Do meals that can have the carb bit on the side and just don’t have it yourself. Eg spag bol. Just have more meat not pasta. Chilli - no rice or get/make cauliflower rice. Shepherds pie and do a mini one for you with alternative or no mash. Roast dinner just ditch the potatoes and have more green veg and meat. Frozen cabbage in a frying pan mixed with whatever meats and veg laying around is surprisingly ok. Kind of a stir fry. Just lob stuff together. Sometimes it works and sometimes you decide not to do that again.!
It does get easier after a while. It does not always feel that every moment is spent planning food. Like all habits it takes a while to change. Join a few Facebook groups for food ideas. Diet doctor.com and ditch the carbs too. Make the family eat what you’re having and then add potato rice etc to their plates not yours. It won’t hurt them.

Reactions: AloeSvea

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh as for feeling pants right now. Add sodium, magnesium and potassium rich foods or supplement for the adjustment time. Make sure you aren’t doing low fat as well as low carb or you won’t have any energy. And make sure you are having enough fluids. Carbs hold water and without them the water doesn’t stay around as much.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I just want to let you know, just in case. 40% of Type 1/LADAs are misdiagnosed as a type 2 at first. I was and I believe it was because I wasn't a skinny person. It wasn't until I switched doctors that I was diagnosed right. You still make some insulin for years sometimes so meds, loss of weight, changing eating works for a while. So if things don't end up making sense, you could end up being a type 1 instead.

Reactions: Little Bird

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure why I'm posting, maybe to get it off my chest but here goes. I'm not on diabetic meds but the nurse keeps nagging so I thought it was time to get myself I gear and get my sugars under control. I've been trying to loose weight for about 6 months by going to the gym twice a week and eating a healthy diet. I'm getting married in October and 3 stones need to go! Anyway the weight didn't move and when my diabetic nurse said my Ha1b was higher this time I was shocked. I started to check my bloods and my healthy diet was seemingly too carby despite being the non processed sort. So I started low carb/keto. The first week was OK but week 2 and 3 were hell. Permanent headaches despite trying all recommendations for preventing this, it was debilitating and I've a family and couldn't function. It's been a week since I've increased my carbs but I can't get a happy medium. I lost 5lbs in those three weeks and I'm terrified I will put them back on. I'm tired, my anxiety is through the roof and I'm so sad and weepy. I've no idea what to cook my family in the evenings anymore, I lack the motivation to get in the kitchen as I have to over think everything to try and get what I have right. I don't enjoy cooking at the best of times. And I'm not sure I can bare another omelette for my lunch. Yes there are ideas all over the Internet but the prep and time and sometimes expensive ingredients are just too overwhelming. I need to loose weight for my health and my wedding and I feel I'm running out of time (for the wedding). My diabetic nurse has referred me to a dietitian but how long that will take I don't know. I just want to curl up and hide away and stop thinking about food... I hate the obsession it's creating in me. I couldn't face cooking my lunch today so had a bread roll with no sugar peanut butter and my bloods went from 6.3 to 10.1 in two hours so the guilt set in. The carb heavy roll then meant that just having simple veg for my evening meal took me over 100g of carbs... I'm trying to now stick under that number... I dont know why... Not sure what I'm even doing. Tomorrow is sausage and chip night from the chip van that visits... I dont even get a night off from cooking anymore as I have to make something just for me. Sorry for the essay everyone.

Hi Vicky, there's a lot to sort out but maybe try to get just a few meals together that you can eat & feed to the family again and again with the odd tweak. Maybe try sticking a load of veg (any veg you like but I like swede/turnips/peppers etc), in a dish, drizzle with olive oil and believe me, after 30 minutes you have a fab tasting big bowl of veg for you and the family. I know 'root' veg are higher in carbs but you can easily have a large bowl for around 20 carbs and they taste fabulous, not like boring old boiled veg.

If you are able to, buy a one pot/pressure cooker and you can chuck whatever you like in it, *I use veg again, any old meat or sausages & some stock), leave it for as long as you like and bingo, a tasty casserole with NO effort.

Maybe get some fish in as well and have that with some veg, you can add potatoes for the family (you won't miss them when you are chomping on your veg, honestly) and you won't feel deprived either.

I say keep it simple food wise, you do not need to be cooking a million ingredients meal, what you need is a 'throw it all in a pot and leave it' approach whilst you get your head around things. By the way you can also put chicken in the pot and do a curry or a chilli, as low carb as you like.

x

D

Deleted member 308541

I'm not sure I can bare another omelette for my lunch. Yes there are ideas all over the Internet but the prep and time and sometimes expensive ingredients are just too overwhelming.
Eating low carb high fat food is no more expensive than eating so called normal foods, preparation time is the same we found.

Little Bird

Hi it sounds like you have done your homework and are totally onboard with the need to reduce your carbohydrate consumption but are having difficulty with integrating this into everyday cooking and family life. In response I would ask, do you remember when you first learned to cook? Maybe when you first lived alone or got married or maybe when the kids arrived you first found your way around the kitchen for their sake. Whatever way it was, it was a new thing to be learned. And over time we become used to those ways. They become family habits and rituals and aren't easy to let go of. However, once upon a time those old habits and rituals were new ideas and new kitchen experiments you needed to learn and formulate for your life at the time. Now is no different to that previous time in your life. It's about re-learning new ways of cooking and eating, much like when you first left home. You learn a recipe and a meal at a time, and gradually build up to a new new everyday diet. It can take time to change, for some people anyway, so give yourself all the time you need. Don't pressure yourself unduly. It may take you a bit longer than some people but that's ok, you are you, not them. And most importantly all, trust in the process because it is a process and that can take time. You can do it!

also if you are having difficulties adjusting emotionally then counselling is a deeply rewarding experience. If you are in the UK, MIND offer free counselling service for any and all issues and have offices all over the UK. If that's not an option then there are many other counselling services that can offer help. Many churches offer secular counselling services so have a look at what is available in your atea. Counselling Directory or the BACP maybe a useful resource.

I wish you all the luck in the world. Happy low carbing and here's to a new you and low blood sugars :)

Last edited:
Reactions: HSSS

VikkiB81

Thank you so much for everyone's kind words and advice, there is a lot I can take on board and use which has given me a bit of motivation .
I tried 10 chips yesterday and my bloods went from 6.3 to 10.1 . I had to try and now I know that my body doesn't appreciate them!
Just as a side question, I've had very bad pain in my lower abdomen, where you would expect to feel period pain or UTI pain, for about 5 days now, it's more or less constant. It like I feel bruised inside. It kept me awake the other night. I tried ibrophen but that didn't touch it. Is this a low carb symptom or should I go to the doctors?
Thanks again everyone

Hotpepper20000

Just as a side question, I've had very bad pain in my lower abdomen, where you would expect to feel period pain or UTI pain, for about 5 days now, it's more or less constant. It like I feel bruised inside. It kept me awake the other night. I tried ibrophen but that didn't touch it. Is this a low carb symptom or should I go to the doctors?
emoji848.png

Thanks again everyone
emoji8.png
Go to the doctor

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yeah - a doctor to find out what is behind that abdominal pain. That doesn't sound like a side-effecf of lowering your carbs.

One thing I will say - try and get your doc off the topic of low-carbing/your diet if they enter into it - unless they genuinely know about the subject! Or, conversely, if they do start giving you food-tips, just listen, and realise/remember that most doctors have next to no nutritional education, and it is no different than listening to family members and friends on the topic. I am very sorry that many medical professionals enter into discussions/make dietary recommendations when really they should not, as it really is not their area of expertise.

What doctors are fantastic at as a rule is diagnosing illness though! So get your abdominal pain sorted, for sure.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@VikkiB81 - On an aside, how are your bowels doing? A number of folks find their movements get a bit disrupted (some go more, some go a lot less), when they change their diet.

Something like that could be causing the discomfort, but it sounds like a trip to the Doc for a bit of reassurance.