Prediabetes Keto

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Sorry another question. As I do a low carb diet, normally under 20g a day, should I be testing for ketones? If so how often? I am not on meds only 1 tablet for BP.:oops:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only if you want to know how into ketosis you are.. but for your health there's no reason to test.
Ketone test strips are pretty pricey (cheapest I have found are £1 each) so it becomes quite an expensive practise...

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No it's not compulsory! Some people can taste or smell waste ketones in their breath orsmell them in their wee. But if you're keeping glucose levels fairly stable, are clear headed, not permanently(!) hungry and your energy levels are good and steady, then your diet's working and you're likely to be keto/fat adapted.

Robbity

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Only if you want to know how into ketosis you are.. but for your health there's no reason to test.
Ketone test strips are pretty pricey (cheapest I have found are £1 each) so it becomes quite an expensive practise...

Thanks for the quick reply. I was jest reading about keto levels and that it could be too high etc. and the thought came that I may need to be doing something. As I know you are very good with knowledge I am happy now. It is bad enough spending 40 - 60 euros a month on test strips without the keto strips then.

Thanks a lot.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the quick reply. I was jest reading about keto levels and that it could be too high etc. and the thought came that I may need to be doing something. As I know you are very good with knowledge I am happy now. It is bad enough spending 40 - 60 euros a month on test strips without the keto strips then.

Thanks a lot.

Your only problem with ketones is if combined with extremely high blood sugars which usually is only the case when Type 1's don't have enough insulin. There are also some meds for Type 2 that can have a similar effect but for diet only you should be fine so just enjoy eating your keto food!

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No it's not compulsory! Some people can taste or smell waste ketones in their breath orsmell them in their wee. But if you're keeping glucose levels fairly stable, are clear headed, not permanently(!) hungry and your energy levels are good and steady, then your diet's working and you're likely to be keto/fat adapted.

Robbity

Thanks for that. Yes, my BG is a bit high for my liking but by means high as standards go and certainly I'm clear headed and not hungry.

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your only problem with ketones is if combined with extremely high blood sugars which usually is only the case when Type 1's don't have enough insulin. There are also some meds for Type 2 that can have a similar effect but for diet only you should be fine so just enjoy eating your keto food!

Thanks for that. I am happy again now.
:):happy:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Once you get your diet sorted out - is there any need to go on testing? Yes it is nice to see the low numbers, but I hardly test at all now, my numbers are going to be low so no problem.

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Once you get your diet sorted out - is there any need to go on testing? Yes it is nice to see the low numbers, but I hardly test at all now, my numbers are going to be low so no problem.

When I am happy that I can have a few treats now and again without pushing up my BG's to much, I will stop testing like I do now but I am just getting my BG's down from a rise I had, for what reason I do not know. I have just had the last 2 days seeing figures in the 80's again later in the day but I would like the morning figure to come down first before I am happy. hopefully I cut down on the testing very soon.

Thanks for your help